It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2009, 12:40 PM   #1
(female)

misty57 HB User
Why would I get nauseous with back pain?

Last week I got up from the couch and had a really painful pull on the hip area of my back. Right side. As the night went on the pain got intense and had to go to the hospital because I could not take the pain anymore. The only somewhat relief I had was when I kept my knees bent. I could not keep my legs straight down. What I can't understand is why every time the pulling pain would hit I got nauseous and was about to throw up. When the pain subsided I was not nauseous anymore. Nobody in the hospital knew as to why this happened. I also had a cat scan done of the stomach down and everything looked fine. I wanted an MRI done but they said no one was there to do it due to the fact it was a sunday. Well why wasen't there someone there????? It's a hospital!! Just an excuse. No one wants to be bothered. Soooo they kept trying to send me home because there was no reason to keep me there but I refused. Until my pain was under control and I was able to get up and walk without wanting to throw up... I stayed!! But still the question is why did I feel like throwing up when the pain hit. I'm no stranger to this type of pain in my hip. I've had it for years. But never had it hit me so bad that I had to go to the hospital. Thanks Misty

Old 04-26-2009, 01:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User
Re: Why would I get nauseous with back pain?

Everyone's different. I get nauseous when my neck goes out. I get a headache that no pain meds can touch, as well as nausea. The only thing that solves it is to use a vibrating massager, the kind meant for doing your own shoulders, neck, or wherever it hurts, and pulling it down firmly against the side of my neck. Sometimes it takes a few hours, using it every hour or so, and sometimes a few days, but eventually it goes back into place and the nausea is instantly gone. Maybe you're just one of those people who gets nauseous with certain kinds of pain.

Wish I had a better explanation for you.

Emily

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2009, 01:44 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

marshrose HB User

What are your back issues? Do you have herniated discs or anything? I too get severely nauseas with some pain when it gets bad enough, to the point of throwing up.

If not-

A friend of mine had endometriosis very badly, and you get adhesions on your insides, that don't show up in cat scans or ultrsounds, not until she had an exploratory minimally invasive did it show her bad endo and then she got it cleaned out laprascopically, if you get bad periods it is a possibility for your culprit, maybe read up on it if this seems a possibility as it would explain alot.

Last edited by marshrose; 04-26-2009 at 01:46 PM.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:29 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

megss HB User

Oh I get nauseas from the pain as well, to the point I throw up. it's just from severe pain.

BTW, I have been in the ER before needing an MRI and I got the same response. No one is here to do it and we don't see any need to call someone in.

The same thing happened to me once. I could not straighten my legs. I ended up in the ER that time and the pain meds brought my pain level down from a 10 to a 6. Not that great. My guess is that the sciatic nerve got severely pinched.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:44 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

PNo HB User

My guess would be that the nerves that supply the stomach were having a problem in your mid or lower back. If you look at the dermatome chart you will see the nerves that supply that area.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:54 PM   #6
(female)

misty57 HB User

Wow, thanks everyone for all your replies. I have been so nervous about that. I am waiting for the ok from my insurance company to go for an MRI. I will keep you posted on the results. I will be getting the open one. Is it just as good as the closed one? Misty

Old 04-29-2009, 04:02 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

marshrose HB User

for a lumbar/MRI disc problem yes. open MRIs are supposedly not to be used when scanning for tumors or cancerous problems as they are not as sensitive as a closed but for a MRI of your spine it's fine.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:21 PM   #8
(female)

deljo HB User

I experienced terrible pain in my left hip/lumbar area. I was unable to stand and fell. I was also nauseous. While in ER I threw up. I am not the type person who has nausea problems. I was given something to relax my stomach, xrays were taken and I was referred to my primary. Since then an MRI revealed two herniated discs. I have had epidurals, caudal blocks and now PT. I hope the PT works but I doubt it. Surgery seems to be the answer but I'm putting that off as long as possible.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:44 PM   #9
(female)

misty57 HB User

[QUOTE=misty57;3967438]Last week I got up from the couch and had a really painful pull on the hip area of my back. Right side. As the night went on the pain got intense and had to go to the hospital because I could not take the pain anymore. The only somewhat relief I had was when I kept my knees bent. I could not keep my legs straight down. What I can't understand is why every time the pulling pain would hit I got nauseous and was about to throw up. When the pain subsided I was not nauseous anymore. Nobody in the hospital knew as to why this happened. I also had a cat scan done of the stomach down and everything looked fine. I wanted an MRI done but they said no one was there to do it due to the fact it was a sunday. Well why wasen't there someone there????? It's a hospital!! Just an excuse. No one wants to be bothered. Soooo they kept trying to send me home because there was no reason to keep me there but I refused. Until my pain was under control and I was able to get up and walk without wanting to throw up... I stayed!! But still the question is why did I feel like throwing up when the pain hit. I'm no stranger to this type of pain in my hip. I've had it for years. But never had it hit me so bad that I had to go to the hospital. Thanks Misty[/QUOTE] Hi, Well I had my MRI done and this is the results. Mild grade 1 spondylolisthesis of L5 on S1. Minimal spondylolisthesis of L3 0n L4. Multilevel degenerative disc disease , manifested by varying degrees of disc space narrowing and disc desiccation. At the L3-L4 level there is a diffuse broad-based disc bulge effacing the anterior aspect of the thecal sac. There is a left far lateral and foraminal component which mildly contacts to left exiting L3 nerve root. At the L4-L5 level, there is diffuse broad based disc bulge effacing the anterior aspect of the thecal sac contributing to mild central canal and moderate bilatera neural foraminal stenosis. At the L5-S1 level there is a grade 1 spondylolisthesis of L5 on S1 resulting in pseudobludge and a small central disc herniation. This contributes to mild central canal and bilateral neural foraminal stenosis without evidence of exiting L5 nerve root impingement. Fluid like abnormalities are seen within the spinal canal at level of S1-S2 suggestive of Tarlov cyst. Lots going on. This just scares the heck out of me. What can anybody make of all this. I will put off surgery as long as I can. My big question is what type of dr handles all these problems. Thanks Misty

Old 05-11-2009, 09:49 PM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Misty:

You should have a consultation with a Neurosurgeon and/or an Orthopedic Spine Surgeon (maybe one of each). I have had an OSS do both my back and neck fusions. All the findings you mentioned have to be compared with the symptoms you are currently experiencing. It looks like there may be some nerve impingement - but the question is exactly what symptoms you have. And, if the associated symptoms are incapacitating your and/or can result in permanent impairment you can consider surgical intervention. The longer, and more, a spinal nerve is impinged the less likely it is to totally heal. Keep in mind that many people would have findings on an MRI that may sound scary, but if their symtpoms are not severe they may need other types of treatment such as physical therapy, massage, etc.

For example, when my C6-C7 disc was impinging on the nerve I had burning nerve pain down my left arm to my index finger. This was the "dermatome" associated with that nerve. So then I knew the symptom matched the MRI findings.

I did have surgery for spondylolisthesis - I was grade 2 at the time and felt pain that I first thought was hip pain - but actually was the result of the nerve root in the lumbar spine being affected. So I chose a fusion so prevent this from becoming permanent and also to prevent the spondylolisthesis from getting to a higher grade.

Closed Thread