It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2009, 04:52 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

marshrose HB User
Unhappy High heels after fusion surgery???

SO my surgeon hasn't said anything regarding shoes, or heels, or anything.

Can I wear heels ever again? I am post op like 8? weeks or so-no I am in no rush for my stilletos yet but- they sure do look nice . I have anywhere from one to three inch heels in my closet, every shoe I own cept my sneaks are high heels, boots, shoes, you name it, its got a whopper heel.

Am I going to be allowed to wear my babies again?? I love my shoes!!! I'm a shoe addict!
What do you know or what has your dr said to you after surgery about shoes?

Last edited by marshrose; 05-01-2009 at 04:56 PM.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:32 AM   #2
(female)

JanKR HB User
Re: High heels after fusion surgery???

Hi Rose,
At my last neurosurgery appointment at 4 months, I specifically asked him if I should clear out my closet of my shoes with heels. I don't go the stilletto route but do have a lot of high wedge type heels. He said I would eventually be able to wear them but didn't give me a time frame at that point (told me NOT to get rid of them). I am six months out and have worn a slight heel for an 8 hour class (wasn't on my feet that much). I did do some walking outside for a short distance and my back tolerated it OK. Around the house I am usually just in flat shoes.

I am wearing my most comfortable shoes at this point after six months of this I don't want to rock the boat. There are certain items that I definitely need a heel with though and will have to figure out which are comfortable enough for periods of time. My neurosurgeon rated "common sense" as the best guide for just about every activity so I take that to mean shoes too.

Sounds like you are doing well if you are checking out the closet!! Way to go and glad to hear it!
Jan.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2009, 05:33 PM   #3
(female)

bekkieboop89 HB User

rosespetal -

I know exactly what you mean; I'm a shoe addict too! I had to stop wearing them altogether about 3 months before my spinal fusion, becasue they were too painful - and of course I was told not to wear them after my surgery until the doctor gave me the okay.

Good news for you - my 4 months post-op appointment was on the 29th of April and doctor told me at that point I was fused enough to stop wearing my brace, and wear heels - as long as I was very careful! Since I have been out dancing 3 times, in my favorite 4.5 inch platform heels and I feel great. I have to be careful not to bend the wrong way or fall, but I can wear my babies with out pain and reservation.

8 weeks post op is a bit to early to start wearing heels I would think. Invest in some cute ballet flats for the next couple months and give your body a little more time to heal....but I have a feeling you WILL be able to wear your babies again in the future. YAY! Long live the shoe addicts!

Take care!

XOXO!

Old 05-03-2009, 05:47 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

bwitht HB User

My instrumented fusion is from L2 thru my SI joints and of all things, I am actually able to stay on my feet longer in comfortable heels. It appears that my pelvis is in a better alignment when in heels. The height of the heel can be 4" as long as the shoe is comfortable. I have really big feet, size 11, so some of my shoes I bought because I liked the looks better than the fit. Those I reserve for the times when I am going to be sitting.

Old 05-04-2009, 03:56 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

marshrose HB User

Ohh that's great news thanks everyone!

I was going through all my clothes that dont fit (as I've gained 30lbs in 9 months), joy,
and when I looked in one of my closets and saw all my favorite shoes as I'm living in my flip flops, I had hoped one day I'd be wearing them again!!! I MISS MY SHOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I could reach my feet better I'd of tried some on LOLOL!!

I am doing better, I started driving for the first time alittle over a week ago, since my injury last JULY! Now thats WEIRD! It is wonderful to be semi independant again though.
Even though I can't grociery shop or anything yet, but even to get to drive the kids to school and/or get a cup of cofffee its great.

Yay!

Old 05-04-2009, 08:29 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

[COLOR="Navy"]It's been 4 years since my two sugeries. I'm fused from T9 to my sacrum. My back dictates what shoes I wear each day. There are days that i get up, get dressed for work and I can put on my good sassy heels. Now I stand 5'9' without heels, so I don't need them to see, I just like what they do to my butt . LOL.....But there are days that my back says no way chickie are you going to wear THOSE shoes...and I'm back in low heels. So it's a love hate relationship even now. Some days are better than others. My physical therapist is still chewing me out for ordering 3" heels...but he's a guy and he just doesn't understand! But a pair of patent heels.....mmm mmm mmm. What that does for your soul![/COLOR]

Closed Thread