It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2009, 09:59 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User
calf pain after back surgery

I had a laminectomy/discectomy a year ago. The following day after surgery, I was complaining about a sharp pain in the inner side of my calf. A deep pain. The P.A. felt around the pain site, and apparently decided no problem. It comes and goes. I brought it up to the surgeon a few months ago and showed him my leg. He noted the broken blood vessels. He ordered an EMG that was normal. In a difference situation an ER dr did an ultrasound of the legs and a test that indicates the chances of having a blood clot. No problem. This pain continues and sometimes is so sharp like a knuckle being dug into it. Anyone experience this or have an idea what would cause this after surgery? thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2009, 03:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Re: calf pain after back surgery

Hi Mel!! It could be referred pain or it could be a nerve problem too. I read that you had a EMG but have you seen a neurologist?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2009, 06:22 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

Oh thank you for a response. I have seen a neurologist through my HMO who was a total idiot. I didn't only see him because of the calf pain but because I had an abnormal brain scan, and I have tingling, tremors etc. He didn't want to hear about anything at all.Told me I was fine, go live life, radiologists exaggerate reports and there is nothing that can be done if I have alzheimer's or m.s. Truly, the pain in the calf was ignored as he said neurologically I passed. He was the poorest excuse of a doctor I have EVER seen in my life. I am seeing another neurologist on Tuesday and I definitely plan on mentioning it. I also put in a call to the back surgeon. My laminectomy surgery was successful. Rarely do I have pain down the leg. I do have back pain but I didn't want a fusion. This calf pain started the day after surgery and it is in the same spot. Best way to describe it is like digging a knuckle into it. Thanks again for writing

Old 05-09-2009, 09:45 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

It does sound like nerve pain. I am sorry but glad that the surgery took away the majority of the sciatica pain. I guess I would see what the new neurologist has to say and go from there. Have they tried you on muscle relaxers or even nerve medications?

Old 05-10-2009, 04:04 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

I was given muscle relaxers because I get severe cramping through-out my body (calcium, magnesium etc levels are normal) I was also given medicine for spasms because I now have bladder spasms. I didn't pay attention if the pain stopped while taking them. All I knew I was so dried out and thirsty, not good when I already have silica syndrome or sjogren's

Closed Thread