It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2009, 05:50 PM   #1
(female)

10sox HB User
Charlie Horses and Toe Cramping

If it's not one thing, it's another. I've been told I have permanent nerve damage from 2 large herniations at L5-S1. My last surgery was 19 months ago. My nerve pain has progressively gotten worse and I am still numb in my right buttocks/leg as the day my disc went.

Anyway, I've been waking up at night with horrible charlie horses in my foot/calf each night this week. It is soooooo painful and I literally have to jump out of bed to work it out. I've also noticed my toes twitching a lot more and curling up throughout the day. That doesn't hurt, but just an uncomfortable feeling. I have had 2 epidural injections over this past month and wondering if this could be related to the charlie horses and toe cramping? Any suggestions on what I can do to make these go away?

Thanks
10sox

Old 05-09-2009, 07:32 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

brendaks1 HB Userbrendaks1 HB Userbrendaks1 HB User
Re: Charlie Horses and Toe Cramping

I had terrible charlie horses back during each pregnancy I had during the 3rd trimester, but I haven't had to deal with them with my back problems/sciatica. I have read they can be due to calcium problems in your blood, so you might want to investigate that some.

For the toes twitching and curling, I don't have that but I was having terrible leg spasms/jerking which prompted a doctor to put me on Baclofen which has worked wonders for me. Baclofen is a muscle relaxer/antispasmodic which is often used for MS patients. You might want to discuss with your doctor if this would help or not.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2009, 08:37 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Re: Charlie Horses and Toe Cramping

I have dealt with this since my surgery in December. When I sleep I am told it looks like I am running because my legs move so much and jump at times. It wakes me up all the time. Believe it or not, I have found the tens unit extremely helpful on my legs when they are like this. Don't ask me why it just works.

They ran several tests on me and we have learned that I suffer from a vitamin D deficiency, iron deficiency and thyroid problems. All of which contribute to muscle cramping and pain. They are in the process of switching me to methadone and then we will be trying some of the meds for restless leg syndrome. They just did not want to do it at all the same time because if I had a reaction they would not know which to try.

The neurologist told me last week that it has to do with the perm nerve damage and how the information is coming from the brain to the nerve and it misfires because of the nerve damage.

Are you on any of the nerve medications such as lyrica, topomax, tegretal or neurontin?

Feel better - I know this can definitely wear on you.

Closed Thread