It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2009, 07:12 AM   #1
(male)

Kentucky58 HB User
Lumbar facet injections

I have been having severe back pain for months. I have had physical therapy, steroids, epidural steroid injections (cervical and lumbar) and nothing is helping. Now my doctor wants to try facet injections over a period of several weeks. Has anyone had good results out of these? I have had 2 cervical surgeries (anterior and posterior) and still have neck pain a lot which is why they did the esi at both places with no success. I don't want to waste my time if these facet injections are not successful, and may seek a second opinion. The doctor says I have stenosis, degenerative disc disease, and bone spurs along with arthritis. I am a 50 year old male who is tired of being in constant pain. Any help will be appreciated.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:36 AM   #2
(female)

trychocolate HB User
Re: Lumbar facet injections

Someone more experienced will reply, I'm sure, but I tried cervical injections a few weeks ago and was told everyone is different, that it may or may not work, and if it does, no telling for how long. So it's the same old 'everyone is different and unique' thing, maybe.

I was told there are different types of injections and this dr. just used some numbing agent to see how it would go. The area felt kind of rubbery for a short time. I think I would need lots of shots throughout my spine in order to catch all the areas of pain and on a regular basis, if that is possible.

Sorry you are in chronic pain also, and it's awful to go through every day of your life.

Hope you find some answers,
choc

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2009, 08:49 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

kera4 HB User

Hi! I have had good success with facet injections in my lumbar area. I went through a series of ESI shots a few years ago and they did not reduce my pain enough. Then I did an MRI and it showed inflammation in three levels of facet joints. The facet injections helped, and my doctor went on to do RFA (radio frequency ablation) of the pain nerves in the facet joints. This RFA has given me longer lasting pain control than the injections. But, the injections will let you know if your doc is hitting the right spot. Good luck! Kera4

Old 05-29-2009, 04:53 PM   #4
(male)

thewino HB User

Kera, that sounds like my plan of action right now. I'm having two facet shots next Thursday and if they don't work, I'm going to have the rhizotomy to interrupt the pain signals. I'm happy to hear the RFA worked for you!

Old 06-16-2009, 04:28 PM   #5
(male)

thewino HB User

Well, I ended up having four facet injections. The numbing medicine made my back feel great for about two hours. I had not felt this good in 18 months. But, the facet injections themselves didn't work for me. Therefore, I'm going to see my MD this coming Monday to discuss having the rhizotomy performed.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:15 PM   #6
(female)

CALIFBLU HB User

so am wondering if you had the Rhizotomy ??? results ??? pain gone. hope so am scheduled for same 8/21. had the facet injections 7/09 lasted 2 weeks , now dr. is telling me that shows him the rhizotomy will help. He's a professor at UCSF , been a Dr. for 24 yrs. so am hoping you had good reults . it sounds kinda scarey to me . was rearended last year , prior to that had some lower back pain.L4-5 S 1-2. But now am in pain most of day and tired of taking pain meds. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks ,Blu

Old 08-17-2009, 09:39 AM   #7
(male)

thewino HB User

[QUOTE=CALIFBLU;4058994]so am wondering if you had the Rhizotomy ??? results ??? pain gone. hope so am scheduled for same 8/21. had the facet injections 7/09 lasted 2 weeks , now dr. is telling me that shows him the rhizotomy will help. He's a professor at UCSF , been a Dr. for 24 yrs. so am hoping you had good reults . it sounds kinda scarey to me . was rearended last year , prior to that had some lower back pain.L4-5 S 1-2. But now am in pain most of day and tired of taking pain meds. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks ,Blu[/QUOTE]

Hey Califblu,

I had a left sided rhizotomy done in mid-July and a right sided rhizotomy done about two weeks ago. They have helped me by decreasing the pain that was shooting into my buttocks and down my left leg. In regards to preparation, length, and pain experienced, the procedure itself is comparable to having the steroid injections done.

My pain has lessened some from the rhizotomies and I am trying to reduce the amount of pain medication I am taking. Currently, I am taking about one-third less narcotics since the last rhizotomy two weeks ago and I am working on weaning this further. My pain doctor states the amount of pain will continue to decrease for up to a month after the procedure and should last for 12 to 14 months.

I wish you luck!

Old 08-17-2009, 01:48 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

kera4 HB User

I am so glad the rhizotomy is helping control the pain! It helps me a lot too. I am able to take a minimum amount of pain meds when the rhizotomy is in place. Then, when I feel it wearing off, I have to take more medicine. That is when I call and schedule another rhizotomy. My doctor says I am a "frequent flyer," since I have had a few of these procedures They really help control my pain though. Take care, Kera4

Old 08-17-2009, 10:57 PM   #9
(female)

CALIFBLU HB User

thanks so much for your help . am worried about the procedure this friday .. the pain gets so bad i can't sleep or walk sometimes .... good luck everyone blu

Closed Thread