It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2009, 07:36 PM   #1
(male)

deviphish HB User
Question Is Dr Frank Cammisa worth the MONEY

Hello to all , I have been hurting pretty bad now for the last couple months.. I am going to be forwarding doctor Cammisa all my info , and hopefully he takes my case.. I'm currently seeking another opinion about my back after my surgent is considering a spinal cord stimulator , I am NOT comfortable with that. I no that there's something wrong with my back , and do want to rely on a SPS
I have heard wounder full news about Dr.Cammisa , out of new york "HOSPITAL FOR SPECIAL SURGERY". The only thing is - he does not take any insurance for the initial visit and it's about $500 out of pocket.. I think if he does take on my case after reviewing all my records that he will have me come in - ( 2 level fusion 2008 & 4 level laminectomy 2004) all in lumbar region.. MY current doctor does not want to do any more surgery , but my l3-4 disc does not look good - - if surgery will get me some relief then i'm all for it.. this SCS scares me , don't like the implantation and the hassle that comes along with it..
So all that being said - IF ANY ONE HAS used Dr.Cammisa please let me no if it's worth it. They called me today to ask all the questions , and it sounds like if you do need surgery that Dr.Cammisa will work with you and your insurance company (aetna).. Is this bill over welming for any of you that have used him - he's suppost to be a remarkable doctor in NEW YORK !

THANK YOU SOOOO SO MUCH AND I HOPE THAT YOU'RE ALL PAIN FREE
TODAY !!!
HELLO EMILY , MOMA BEAR Hope all is well <>

GOD BLESS
DEv

Last edited by deviphish; 05-27-2009 at 07:38 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2009, 09:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kyma3 HB User
Re: Is Dr Frank Cammisa worth the MONEY

Hey Billy Boy I am glad to see you are going to get a second opinion because you do need to have all your options stated to you. I think Moldova used Dr.Cammisa back in Dec.'07 so I am sure she will get back with you. I hope you get your answers that you need to make an educated decision. I also hope you can start getting your back feeling better again. Take care and keep us informed.

Gentle Hugs
Moma Bear

Old 05-28-2009, 09:19 AM   #3
(male)

deviphish HB User

Thank you LInda ! I have heard that he is a wounder full doctor , works at the hospital for special surgery and does lots of revision surgeries if needed.. I do not want the SCS placed in my back , I'm not comfortable with that - all ready have enough stuff back there lol.. I am gathering up all my info to send to doctor Cammisa , and then wait and see..

How have you been lately Linda ? is your pain under control , back okay ? I hope so , I will keep you posted on what i find out and please do the same !!!
Billy

Old 05-28-2009, 06:10 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

Hey Billy!
What Backhurtz said on your thread about the SCS was what I'd heard. I didn't want to give my thoughts on it, as I don't have first hand experience with it. There was a guy on here for a long time who finally went for it and said it helped his leg pain, but did nothing for his back.

So I'm glad you got some good answers to your post!

I haven't seen Moldova around lately, but maybe she'll pop in and see this. Or you could do a search on this board for his name and you'll find a bunch of threads that mention him, 19 including yours.

I'm with you. I'd rather have a solution to the source of the pain rather than something to just kill the pain!

Hope you have some days that are better!

Emily

Old 05-28-2009, 06:31 PM   #5
(male)

deviphish HB User

Emily , thank you so much as usual - your such a kind soul.. I really do not want this SCS implanted in me , i want to get to the root of my pain and END it.. I will not give in and take "SORRY BILLY , THERE'S NOTHING MORE WE CAN DO" !! I called and spoke with Dr.Cammisa's office , they all seem very professional. They said that he would most likely be interested in my case and to fax over all the notes , mri's , disko's , mylo's , X-rays and surrgical reports from both of my back surgeries.. After going over them , they will contact me with an answer to come inn and see me - if they feel that they can help me.. The con is that they do not take insurance and it's a $500 1st visit , and if surgery is required - they will work with your insurance BUT i will DEF have to pay some out of pocket expensives..

Emily my back is hurting so bad right now , i cant get off the couch.. They have me on 7.5/500 mg perc's right now , and they're not even touching my pain.. I need some relief soon and some answers sooner.. I really thought that my surgent was going to have more answers for me than just a SCS trial !! I was wrong.. I'll stay up beat and possitive , but i have to find a doctor who is willing to get me back on my feet..

Loves and hugs
DEv

Old 05-28-2009, 09:53 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

kyma3 HB User

Hey Billy Boy I think Emily is talking about "Shawley" who hasn't been on here since 4/08, I think! Moldova had been over on the Arthritis board but I haven't seen any new messages from her since the first of May. I hope everything is okay for her, also.

I know how you feel about the pain because I have also started having a lot of problems with sciatic and severe lower back pain but I will post my own Thread when I hear back from the doctor.

Hate to hear about the out of pocket money you will have to pay but it will be great in the long run if he can help you. You might want to do as Emily stated and put in SCS in the search box and you should get quite a bit information.

Take care & gentle hugs
Linda

Old 05-28-2009, 10:12 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

It's so hard to think you've gone through this hard surgery so you'd get your life back, just to find out that it's not over yet. There's a time to stop and let yourself grieve over that. I hope you've let yourself do that. And then do just what you're doing: look for better answers and try to stay positive.

The money thing stinks, but if Dr. Cammisa can help, it'll be worth it, from what I see about him on other threads. It sounds like he doesn't take cases that he can't help, and he probably doesn't take run of the mill cases that any surgeon could handle. So if he takes you, I'm sure you're going to be in very good hands. And aetna is a major company, so I bet he'll work something out with them. I hope it won't end up being too costly for you, but whatever it costs, if it gives you relief, it will be worth it!

Are you living on your own now? Is anyone helping you?

Wish I could bake you a cherry pie, Billy Boy!

Let us know what you hear!

Big hugs!
Emily

Old 05-31-2009, 10:02 AM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

Billy,
yes I used him and nothing but GREAT I can say about him, his technics, his knowledge, his everything - I am staying with him no matter what and would not use anybody else especially after experience i had with my first spinal surgeon locally (who was nominated for some reason one of 10 best in US in 2005 spinal surgeon, i found out later that he has tons of pending law s. due to screwed up surgeries).
I believe I answered your questions in private messages and if you still want to know more - please, dear heart don't hesitate to get back to me.
Best of luck and hope for you to feel better!

Old 06-30-2009, 01:58 AM   #9
(female)

tunnarr1971 HB User

Dear Moldova, Please could you send me details of your surgeon, desparate for a good lead, my husband is in severe pain and has been told that they can't do anything for him but a spinal cord stimulator might help and I need a really good guy!!!! He is in such a bad way and I would be very grateful for any information. Kind regards Rachel

Closed Thread