It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2009, 07:12 AM   #1
(female)

Truffles09 HB User
why do i feel so constantly ill

why do i feel so constantly ill

Old 05-30-2009, 08:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

NY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB User
Re: why do i feel so constantly ill

you have to give us more detail of how you're feeling.
there are MANY reasons why one can feel ill.
it can be anxiety, which is called "GAD", general anxiety disorder" google it, and you will see what I"m talking about.
You can be over worked, and not getting enough rest, oh and another very important one that alot of people dont get enough of is 'WATER". dehydration can make you feel very ill. I know personally. it happened to me.
OR, it can be the foods that you are eating. A sugary diet, or one with lots of meat it in and not enough green leafy vegetables can make you feel absolutely horrible too.
OR you can really have something going on inside.

Hope to hear back from you .

Linda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2009, 03:47 AM   #3
(female)

Truffles09 HB User
Question Re: why do i feel so constantly ill

I have been feeling generally unwell for months and constanly exhausted. I have a very stressful job and I was just working and coming home and doing nothing. 14 weeks ago I went off sick and haven't returned. My symptoms include:

Headaches
Pressure in the head that is hard to descibe
Nausea
Abdo pain
Tingling around the face and mouth
Generally achey with intense pain around my shoulders
But more than anything absolutely no energy. Most symptoms come and go, very little is constant except for the lack of energy.

I have seen a nuerologist and am awaiting the results of aan MRI brain scan
I do have raised liver enzymes but apparently not enough to cause these dibilitating symtoms and I am not anemic. I am 'strong possitive' to parietal cells and have Gilberts Syndrome - I have also in the past been diagnosed with Palindromic Rhuematism. There are now suggestions that I may have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME).

Prior to this I had so much energy - I worked full time, came home cleaned cooked looked after kids, dogs etc - it is so frustrating and I worry constantly that there is something more sinister going on.

Old 05-31-2009, 07:41 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Truffles,
I feel so bad for you. I understand totally what you're going through because I too have suffered on and off now for years with un-diagnosed symptoms that effected my life, my job, my everything.
I was first diagnosed with osteoarthritis and osteoporosis, then fibromyalgia, then vitamin D deficiency which can cause a HOST of horrible symptoms in your body. Here in the US it's turning into an epidemic.
so many people have it and dont' even know it until they get the blood test to determine it.
I was unable to climb a flight of stairs, had horrible sharp pain in my neck where I was unable at times to turn my neck completely when I was driving. it felt like it would get stuck permantly into a very painful position. I had joint pain, dry skin, pain in my joints, weight loss, you name it, I had it.
I felt like if my doctors didn't do something soon, I was going to die.
that's how HORRIBLE i felt. yet all my blood work was coming out negative for ANA test, and rheumatoid arthritis, Lupus, and don't know what else my rheumy dr tested for.
IF the vitamin D is low and if the calcium level is also affected, this determines some type of illness. but my calcium level was fine. so we scratched off that possibility.
My memory is getting worst by the day and we have no answer for it.
I'm switching my letters backward, which absolutely drives me insane, I stop mid sentence while speaking to people because I can't recall words. common words we've all learned in preschool. I can't recall the hot water from the cold water tap, or simple things I used to take for granted.
I am at the end of my rope. My short term memory and cognitive state bothers me as much as the joints that are becoming painful in different areas of my body at different months. it hops from one part of the body to the next out of the clear blue sky.
Now I have horrendous pain in the outer part of my right hip that spreads to my groin and to the back of my buttock where it's almost impossible to sit down or bend down. I got a shot at the rheumy drs office over a week ago. it worked for a few days, including taking away all my other pains, but now it's back with a vengence.
I can NOt for the life of me find out what is going on in my body.
I finally threw in the towel and got on disability. but it was for my mental health. I have bipolar now for many years, plus general anxiety disorder which effects not only the mind but your entire body and it's organs because of raised blood pressure, etc. I don't have anxiety attacks. it's a different form of anxiety. which can make you feel exhausted as well.

the older I become the worst my health becomes. I just don't get it?
I'm 48 and have the body of a woman in her late 80's.
my muscle is wasting away, I've dropped down to 110 all with out even trying. I have loss of appetite, not hunger pains till late in the day. so I have to FORCE myself to eat which is hard to do when your not even hungry.
I have pain in my joints, swollen joints, but can't see anything on the x-ray.
was going to order and MRI, but never had it.

so as you can see by my list of symptoms, I feel like I am turning into a hypochondriac. I mentioned this to my psychiatrist and she said there is no way I'm one. I felt better after consulting with her about this. She's known me now for about five years. I feel like my family dr has become sick of me. he barely looks me in the eyes when I'm in the room with him and he rushes me in and out. he's constantly referring me to doctors. why do I even bother wasting his time or mine?
so it's time i find a new doctor that will listen to me and at least TRY to get to the root of the problem.
even my rheumy dr. doesnt know what else to do. so I just see her every month to go over the way I'm feeling. she's offered physical therapy to me and medications. that's it!

I tried to do some research on the pain you mentioned you have in your shoulders, because I recall very vaguely reading something last week about an autoimmune illness combined with a type of arthritis which wound up being one of the symptoms and I could not for the life of me find it.
i wanted to share it with you so you could be tested.
but I see you are positive for an autoimmune disease and there are MANY different types of them.
plus I read that people with shoulder pain should see an orthopedic doctor because tendons, muscles and the skeletal system is their specialty.
have you seen this type of doctor yet for your shoulder pain?

I'm relieved to see that your doctor has ordered and MRI of your brain at least. because I was thinking the same thing that you should have it.

certain illness in the major organs can cause a build up of either too much hormones or too much calcium or what ever and can cause strange type headaches. there's a certain type of autoimmune disease that attacks the liver. it's autoimmune hepatitis of the liver. you did mention that you're enzymes were slightly elevated. further investigation is warranted.

I've realized now that because of my own health problems that it can take MONTHS, TO YEARS to find a true diagnosis.

I am here for you if you need to talk. The fact that we can't even do normal things like we used to, like cook, bake, clean the house, takes all my effort.

Is there any way possible you can go on disability? or at least take some sick leave? you need to get your rest which is impossible if you have to work.
I remember just getting ready for work was horrible. I used to cry.
counting the hours till I could go home so I can just jump into my bed and sleep, sleep, sleep. I did't even have the energy to cook. Thank God for an understanding partner. He is so good to me.

I wish I could help you in some way. I'll continue doing research for you and if you can think of anything you forgot to mention about symptoms, please put them down for me.

You are in my heart.
sincerely,
Linda

Old 05-31-2009, 07:59 AM   #5
(female)

Truffles09 HB User

Thank you so much Linda - I have many more symptoms and like you I am losing weight. My Doctor doesn't seem to concerned about my liver tests. Whilst we are very lucky and have the National Health Service here in England I am afraid everything takes so long. Hope you are not feeling too bad today and keep in touch. I am aching all over today but at least it is sunny!

Old 05-31-2009, 08:58 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Truffles,
I was so happy to see you're on your computer so you could see I replied to you.
Thank you so much for asking how I"m doing today. I'm actually doing HORRIBLE.
the pain I had on the side of my hip which spreads to the buttock and down my leg is much worst than it was before she gave me the shot to get the inflammation down. she thinks it may be bursitits. but I dont' know how on earth I could've gotten bursitis when I dont' do much of any exercise?
It started again last night and is so untolerable that I had to take a vicodin to make the pain go away. but it's not working.
I was supposed to go out for our walk today since it's so sunny and beautiful here in New York today. I"m not in New York City itself, but on the outskirts in the suburbs. miles and miles away from the Big Apple, thank God.
I don't go into the city. I've been there to go the Bronx Zoo and to see Little Italy and China town, but other than that, I don't have a need to go there.
It's too congested with way too many people and way too many cars, which trying to drive your car there is like trying to drive those bumper cars you see in amusement parks. It makes me very nervous. LOL

I see you live in England!!! how wonderful!
the age of computers is absolutely astonishing, isn't it? the capability to correspond with people all over the world. I find it fascinating and love going on the computer. and to think I didn't like it when I first started using one.
I sound like I"m from the ice ages.
were you born in England? I hope you don't mind my asking?
I would love to visit England one day. it's a dream of mine.

meanwhile, I'm so sorry to hear your pain level is about the same as mine today.
we MUST try to overcome what ever it is that is attacking our bodies and try to enjoy each day one at a time. that's how I"ve been able to get through all of this. I want to enjoy what time i have left on this earth. I want to be able to enjoy what youth I have left since life has such a habit of flying by so quickly.
I'm tired of always being in my bed watching t.v. or reading a book.
I go to the library and take out a slew of books monthly. it's a lot cheaper than buying them. plus it helps keep my mind active and not on my pain, plus it keeps the mind exercised.

Enjoy the rest of your day.
PS- what other symptoms are you having that you forgot to write down if you dont' mind me asking?
did you ever get your vitamin D level checked? IF not, please ask your doctor to test it, because as I stated earlier, it can cause havoc on the body with many different painful symptoms including headaches. I never got the headaches, but someone else on a different board did.
she was amazed at the ten years of suffering she went through before her doctor decided to test her level and hers was extremely low. she felt that it was the cause of all her symptoms she was having.

later,
Linda

Old 06-01-2009, 01:07 AM   #7
(female)

Truffles09 HB User

Hi Linda - good to see you remain possitive through this. I am sorry to hear you are still in so much pain. Nausea and abdo pain is my biggest problem at the moment the pain is intense, I seem to go from one thing to another which I find very worrying. I can't believe that you don't have a firm diagnosis, in England we think that America lead the way on health! I will ask my Doctor about the vit D blood test but to be honest we don't seem to carry out such detailed tests on the NHS.

I to live on the outskirts of a town. I love the countryside, wildlife and gardening - I also have dogs and although OI don't do nearly enough with them now I am ill they do keep me going!

Hope you have a better day - it is 09:10 here so guess you will still be asleep?

When I am feeling up to it I will list my symptoms.

Take care

Old 06-01-2009, 08:03 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Truffles,
Hope you are doing better today. My pain has not subsided today. It got much worst last night and I had to use the heating pad when laying down to help ease it. I dont' know whether I should call my rheumy doctor now that she's back from vacation to let her know the shot she gave me before she went away isn't working anymore?
she had me get an xray of the hip too before she left and I never got the results yet.
IF it's bursitis, it will not show up on the xrays. that's one way to determine if it's bursitis I guess? otherwise she might have me get an MRI done.
All I know is that this pain is a constant reminder it's there and does NOT ease up even with the vicodin I'm prescribed. it was initally rx'd for my right finger joint that swelled up and I could barely use it. kind of hard when you're a right handed person. LOL

oh, I giggled to myself when you mentioned that the USA is supposed to have such excellent health care. compared to some Countries, yes, I admit we do.
I've never seen other health care systems in this world so have to go by what I hear and what I learn or read.
A lot of people are turning to alternative medicine when they get flustered and upset with western medicine. Western medicine is always pushing pills, pills, and more pills. The pharmaceutical industries and insurance companies really rule the health system here. I feel the medicines that are barely studied by the FDA are then put on the market way too soon, which then can cause more illness to the already ill person because of all the horrible side effects of the medicine.
There are so many flustered people I am reading from on the posts and hearing on medical programs on t.v. and a lot of them are going undiagnosed and misdiagnosed because of all the different types of new illnesses that are on the rise. alot of auto immune problems I'm seeing. so it's hard to detect. it takes time.
what type of pain are you feeling in your abdomen? is it the upper or lower, right or left? does it come in spasms? or is it constant?
have you ever had a colonoscopy? I just had mine a few weeks ago. I get them every 3 yrs because of previous polyps that were found. I detest the prep for it. it's the worst thing out of the entire exam.

I'm curious to find out what is going on with your health and I pray it doesnt' take your medical doctors as long of a time as it is for me.

oh, I wanted to mention to you that when you were writing at 9:00, it was 4:07 a.m. here. When a person posts a reply here, they put the time down in the left hand corner in the blue line above the posters name. see it?
I like that they put this feature in.

hope you're feeling better hon.

sincerely,
Linda

Old 06-01-2009, 08:04 PM   #9
(female)

windimeria2000 HB User

[QUOTE=Truffles09;3999425]I have been feeling generally unwell for months and constanly exhausted. I have a very stressful job and I was just working and coming home and doing nothing. 14 weeks ago I went off sick and haven't returned. My symptoms include:

Headaches
Pressure in the head that is hard to descibe
Nausea
Abdo pain
Tingling around the face and mouth
Generally achey with intense pain around my shoulders
But more than anything absolutely no energy. Most symptoms come and go, very little is constant except for the lack of energy.

I have seen a nuerologist and am awaiting the results of aan MRI brain scan
I do have raised liver enzymes but apparently not enough to cause these dibilitating symtoms and I am not anemic. I am 'strong possitive' to parietal cells and have Gilberts Syndrome - I have also in the past been diagnosed with Palindromic Rhuematism. There are now suggestions that I may have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME).

Prior to this I had so much energy - I worked full time, came home cleaned cooked looked after kids, dogs etc - it is so frustrating and I worry constantly that there is something more sinister going on.[/QUOTE]

sounds like some klonopin would help and nausea medicine...also an antidepressant such as pristiq. as far as the aches and pains, well i don't know..if your laying around much then you will get achy. hope this message finds you well

Old 06-02-2009, 05:15 AM   #10
(female)

Truffles09 HB User

Hello, thank you for answering - I am back at the Doctor's this week so I am hoping for some answers!

Thanks again

Old 06-02-2009, 05:24 AM   #11
(female)

Truffles09 HB User

Hi Linda

Hope you are reasonable today - I am OK but so so tired!!

My symptoms are:-

Symptoms for Neurology Appointment
11 May 2009

1. Pressure in head – back of neck –on top of head - between eyes – Light headed - dizzy

2. Increase in headaches – strange feeling in head/ feels like jerks or spasms

3. Feel like there is something on a nerve throughout my body

4. Difficulty getting words out - physically

5. Restless legs

6. Very poor sleep pattern

7. Nauseous and weight loss – about a stone

8. Continual blocked sinuses – wakes me up

9. Throbbing sensation at top of nose

10. Very dry and painful nasal cavity

11. Dry mouth

12. Difficulty swallowing – sometimes - tickly throat hoarse and clearing throat

13. Sore throat and sharp pain in ear nearly always left ear tinnitus in both ears but worse in right ear

14. Eyes blurry and floaters

15. Tired all of the time – strange tiredness – no energy do one small thing and then exhausted – some days too exhausted to move or eat – feel like I am going down with or getting over Flu feel shaky throughout body

16. Numbness and tingling in back, left leg and foot and at the bottom of the foot – intensity varies – left heel and bottom of left foot feels really strange

17. Difficult to walk properly, left leg feels strange like it doesn’t belong, sort of twisted

18. Numb patches in areas of both legs but not constantly – comes and goes

19. Numb in left arm from elbow down forearm

20. Tingling and numbness in face – around mouth and in cheeks – comes and goes

21. Twitching muscles and twitching in areas of face especially around the mouth

22. Hands and feet feel spongy

23. Vibration feeling in areas of body – could be anywhere

24. Indigestion

25. IBS Symptoms and abdo pain bloating etc

All of these symptoms come and go and only rarely have them all at once. I think I mentioned before that a diagnosis of chronic fatigue syndrome seems likely?

I hope I haven't bored you too much - I must be really stupid because I can't see where you put the time in but it is 13:20 here! Also, I know that I posted the original post on the wrong board but I could't work out how to put it on another board - think I might need lessons!!

Take care

Old 06-04-2009, 07:46 AM   #12
(female)

windimeria2000 HB User

Sounds like you have more than one diagnosis for the doctor to give you. I hope the doctors figure all this out soon for you. Sounds like your in alot of stress right now. I wish you well and hope you get better soon.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:26 AM   #13
(female)

Truffles09 HB User

Looks like they are going for chronic fatigue syndrome. Thank you for your kind words and I hope all is well with you.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:25 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Truffles,
I am relieved to hear at least they have found a diagnosis.
you have to be careful up the road with this dx, because people with chronic fatique syndrome wind up getting lymphoma. That's what my studies found anyway. I read this a while back.
You are suffering with so many symptoms. I feel horrible for you.
Is there any chance that you can get out into the sunshine more often?
sun and fresh air make such a difference in my life. just walking through the forest, near the river and seeing the wild life puts my soul back to where it used to be and where it makes me feel like I am alive again.
when we suffer like we do, things get out of perspective and we tend to miss out in the little things in life. I don't want to miss out on life anymore. I am forcing myself to get out on nice days and when we have our two days off from caring for his father.
the two days we have to ourselves when his mom is not working gives us the time to be able to do something out doors. Plus it's an advantage for our wonderful furry friend, (our dog) Roxie, the time to be out side where she really wants to be all the time rather than indoor with us.
the exercise makes her tired and gives her a healthier appetite. which seems to do the same for us humans. LOL
Hope they can do something for you now that they have a positive diagnosis.

I really wish you the best and am here for you if you need to talk.
plus they have a board specifically for that illness.
Good luck to you,

sincerely,
Linda

Old 06-05-2009, 07:39 AM   #15
(female)

Truffles09 HB User

Hi Linda

Yes I am almost there with the dx just waiting for a couple more test results but they seem pretty sure. Apparently the long list of symtoms i s'normal' for this condition.

Yes - I do try and get out and we have been having some lovely weather - I have 6 dogs and love wildlife. I was watching a blackbird feed his fledglings today it was magical. I don't walk the dogs as much as I should because I don't have the energy but they don't do too bad.

I do hope you are feeling better, you do sound it. It must be hard on you if you have caring responsibilities as well as your own health issues.

Well apparently it is going to rain all weekend here - I hope you are in for better weather.

Please keep in touch and let me know how you are.

Take care

Closed Thread