It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2009, 11:51 AM   #1
(female)

Chickinard HB User
Post surgery pain

I had laminectomy, disectomy and fusion with instrumentation at L4, L5, and S1 two months ago today. I have a lot of pain still in my right hip and leg and yesterday began having terrible pain at my waiste so that I cannot sit straight in a chair. I am only confortable reclined or laying down. Don' know what this is all about. I am very concerned about all this pain. People tell me that the nerves have to heal but shouldn't they be healed by now?
Thank you for any answers you can give me.

Old 06-08-2009, 12:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User
Re: Post surgery pain

[COLOR="Navy"]It is not unusual to still be having pain at 2 months out. Your Surgeon moved aorund alot of your muslces and nerves and trust me, they don't liks being messed with. It takes time for them to settle down and readjust themselves to their new position in your body. It takes up to 6 months for fusion to starts so pain is a natural thing to expect.

The extra pain in your leg and hip may be nerve pain that can be taken care of with one of the meds that are specifically designed for nerve pain. Ask your doctor about it.[/COLOR]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2009, 12:37 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

Hi Chickinard, and welcome to the board!

I've had two fusion surgeries. It's a major surgery with a long recovery! Even without nerve problems, it can take up to a year for a full recovery. Nerves take a long time to calm down. It could take months yet before they stop bothering you. Sorry; I hate to be the bearer of bad news. But maybe it's actually good news to you, as you won't be worrying that something has gone wrong.

As far as the waist pain, I wonder if you're trying to do too much. At 2 months, I was still mostly lying down during the day. I was told to sit for no more than 15 minutes at a time for the first 6 weeks. No problem! I couldn't manage even that long! I was allowed to gradually increase it after 6 weeks, letting pain be my guide.

You might want to read the thread called "post surgery tips" at the top of the page. It has lots of little tips that might help you, even though you're not fresh from surgery.

I hope this helps a little,
Emily

The Following User Says Thank You to BlueAtlas For This Useful Post:
Ninagar (10-30-2012)
Old 06-09-2009, 08:05 AM   #4
(female)

Chickinard HB User

Thank you so much Ibake and Blue Atlas for your replies. No you were not the bearer of bad news. i just needed some encouragement to the probability that all this is normal. I quite possibly have just been doing too much what with therapy and all. I probably need to rest more.
Ibake I am taking Gabapentin (Neurotin) for nerve pain but can't tell it helps any.
I can bear up knowing that it will eventually get better even if it is a year in coming.
Thanks again.

Old 06-11-2009, 04:59 PM   #5
(male)

slyde HB User

Maybe I am just lucky. I am now post op 5 weeks and am 95% pain free. Every now and then I fell a little pain in my lower right leg but that's about it short of a shot of very brief pain when I make an odd move.
I started walking immediately and it hurt a lot for about 2 weeks. Yet, I walked very day sometimes as little as 100 yards. I am now up to 5 - 7 miles on a daily basis. Mostly on flat ground (Bike path) with no discomfort. My muscles have gotten stronger and I got into better shape. Dealing with shin splints? because of improper shoes but took care of that as well.
I truly believe that you have to make yourself move. Check with your doc first. Good luck.

Old 06-13-2009, 05:41 AM   #6
(female)

jomurray HB User

Hi Chickinard,
i can understand your fears regarding pain, I had surgery 10 weeks ago, i did not have surgery as severe as yours and Im still in bed lying down everyday due to nerve pain which prevents me from sitting etc. but i was also told not to sit unless i have to as this is the worst position to be in after surgery to lumbar spine.
someone pointed out to me yesterday on this that we think surgery will fix us immediately and get concerned very quickly when the pain has not subsided, you have had major surgery and are doing very well to be up and about so soon but make sure you do not overdo it.
I had partial fusion with a wallis implant and im 10weeks post op and i can do very little, i find it difficult to even put my underwear on! i suppose what we must remember is to take baby steps and not be disheartened by bad days we experience, recovery is a long road and im very happy ive found this site yesterday as it has really helped talking to others who are experiencing the same pain and concerns as I am. We will get there eventually, its just a little hard to imagine it after so much pain and lying in bed!

[QUOTE=Chickinard;4007699]Thank you so much Ibake and Blue Atlas for your replies. No you were not the bearer of bad news. i just needed some encouragement to the probability that all this is normal. I quite possibly have just been doing too much what with therapy and all. I probably need to rest more.
Ibake I am taking Gabapentin (Neurotin) for nerve pain but can't tell it helps any.
I can bear up knowing that it will eventually get better even if it is a year in coming.
Thanks again.[/QUOTE]

Old 09-02-2009, 10:29 PM   #7
(male)

Harlan68 HB User

hello ibake&pray
I am 5 weeks out from having min. evasive post/ant spinal fusion at L4 L5 S1, didn't have any pain in hip and left leg down to about knee, but now i do. Laying down or sitting will let it go away, i am worried that something may be wrong. I hope this is something that will go away in time.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:05 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

It is probably just the upset nerves that are still trying to settle down from the surgery. It seems to take them alot longer that you expect. The very fact that they have been moved out of the way sends them into screams of agony that they twitch and jitter from forever it seems. Perhaps one was bruised and that can take time for healing....

Old 09-04-2009, 02:13 PM   #9
(female)

Newport Girl HB User

Hello. I had ant/post fusion of L4 L5 S1 2 weeks and 3 days ago today. I have much more pain now than I did before the surgery, but the pain I had previously is totally gone now. I gained 1.25 inches in height during my surgery, and my doctor says the nerves are irritated and stretched and that it could take 3 to 6 months to mellow out. My pain is unbearable some nights. It feels like shin splints or growing pains in every inch of my legs and feet. My feet and a large portion of my left thigh are STILL numb from the surgery. Each day I gain a little bit more feeling back, but with that comes more pain. I didn't even feel my front incision until about 3 days ago and now it really bothers me. Did anyone else experience this drawn out numbness? How long does it take to come back? I feel like I've got rubberbands tied too tight around each of my toes. I'm taking Norco, Flexeril, Gabapentin, and they just added Amitriptyline or something like that to help at night. Oh, and the horrible groin pain! I can't bear wearing my waist belt because it digs down into my left groin where I imagine they had me cranked open during the first portion of the surgery. I'm in so much pain. I was expecting to go back to work in 6 weeks but don't see now how that could be possible. When do/did each of you plan on going back to work? It's reassuring to hear your stories. Thanks for sharing and letting me butt into your post. I've never done this before. =)

Old 09-20-2010, 11:03 AM   #10
(female)

sewlady HB User

[QUOTE=slyde;4009966]Maybe I am just lucky. I am now post op 5 weeks and am 95% pain free. Every now and then I fell a little pain in my lower right leg but that's about it short of a shot of very brief pain when I make an odd move.
I started walking immediately and it hurt a lot for about 2 weeks. Yet, I walked very day sometimes as little as 100 yards. I am now up to 5 - 7 miles on a daily basis. Mostly on flat ground (Bike path) with no discomfort. My muscles have gotten stronger and I got into better shape. Dealing with shin splints? because of improper shoes but took care of that as well.
I truly believe that you have to make yourself move. Check with your doc first. Good luck.[/QUOTE]
I see from your post that you walked right away but what about sitting? Most of the posts say that sitting is limited for a long time. Was that your experience? Thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to sewlady For This Useful Post:
mluther00 (08-18-2012)
Old 06-20-2012, 05:09 AM   #11
(female)

seniorsgal HB User

I was glad to read that it's not unusual to be still having pain. I had surgery the 9th of May. Went for my Dr. visit the 6th of June and the Dr. says I'm doing great. But the pain worries me. I have a really hard time getting my back to straighten up. I asked about a brace but he said no . He said to get those shoulders up and back and hold my head up. I have had this pain for so many years that it is natural to walk bent over and I only went places where I could walk with a buggie. I guess this is a big ajustment.I have more pain in my hips than back. And I worry all the time about if I'm doing to much. I had a fusion at L4 and L5 and am afraid to bend over and stuff like that. He doesn't want me to go to therapy either. He says all these things I need to do myself. He said by the time I go back to him in 'aug. I will have forgotton about therapy. I have went many times before the surgery and it never really helped that much. So guess we will see. My main thing was the pain that worried me, so glad to see that it's not unusual to be still having it.

Closed Thread