It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2009, 10:28 AM   #1
(female)

shelly80 HB User
Injured back muscle/chest mucsle spasm?

Hello, (and thank you for reading the long post)

I have been suffering from an odd spasm type problem for about 4 months now. I just began to wonder if it has to do with my having injured my back around the time the symptoms began. Here we go:

I pulled a muscle or nerve in my back (kind of towards the bottom of my rib cage, on the left side about 4 months ago. I didn't really do anything particular, I woke up with it and it was horrible! I couldn't move normally for a few weks. After that started healing, I started noticing a kind of squeezing discomfort in my chest. I of course immediately figured it was heart related and went straight to the doctor. They did all the needed testing and heart problems were ruled out. Then we checked for esophageal problems, those were ruled out.

Now it is kind of down to a strange pulling, tightening of my pectoral area (kind if in my breast) and my rib cage. I feel GREAT when I open my eyes in the morning. After the day wears on, after sitting at my computer at work, the strange pulling/pressure starts again. My ribs can be sore, my chest wall a little tender to press on it.

The main concern is the squeezing, it feels like my entire left pectoral muscle is tightening and constricting involuntarily. I still get scared and panic that it is cardiac, but when I focus, I see the discomfort is not deep enough to be my heart.

Could this have to do with when I pulled my back out 4 months ago? I still get back pain (everywhere), also in the spot that initially hurt. Shoulder blades are horrible too. I saw a chiropractor YEARS ago who said I had scoliosis but I never went back to him, he cost too much $$$.

Any suggestions would be so appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2009, 08:23 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Injured back muscle/chest mucsle spasm?

honestly,the very first thing that you really need to look at is kind of tracking it back to the source of a possible particular nerve/disc. inflammed nerves simply trigger or fire out to the surrounding muscles kind of little 'distress" signals which will cause the surrounding muscles and the outter covering called the fascia to kind of tighten up to guard the possible injured/ inflammed area or the inflammed nerve itself.

what you have described above REALLY sounds muscle related in many ways but in most cases like this,there IS an underlying reason for this to even be occuring at all and that area is in most cases involving spinal nerves to a certain degree. its just a weaker and inflammed area from what you described here. the one thing about the chiro telling you you had scoliosis, chances are, since a chiro will only use x rays unless you have alrerady had an MRI, there is no telling really just how impacted that area of involvement in all this actually is down to the nerve a cord level, you know what i mean?

since you already have been told about the scoliosis, it really would be a very good idea to just really get that more in depth look in there at this point at at least the lower C spine and the upper to mid T spine areas(just having that full C and T spine areas would be the best way to get the best possible overview actually). this would just show down to the nerve cord level. you really have know clue as to what in the heck is actually going on inside your own body til you actually obtain a deeper scan of it, like anywhere really. various scans i have had for different reasons over the years have actually stumbled upon some really insane levels of those "incidental findings" i never knew actually existed in certain areas of my body til that scan was done and found them.

but just given your ongoing symptoms and the Dx of the scoliosis i would seriously speak with your primary about just obtaining that MRI right now. a CT would not be good enough to really show just what an MRI would, it just gets a much deeper type of scan. and that truley is what you need most right now just to see if there are any possible nevres being compromised or herniations that could also be causing you this ongoing type of muscle crap too. "something" is causing the nerves to get inflammed in there or the muscle in that particular area would not be "holding' spasm like they are and have been for months? an MRI would just give you and your doc the best and quickest type of needed info so you at least know whats going on. then you just kind of go from there as far as the next step in this process. it all would depend upon just what does or does not actually show up with that MRI. but if i were you, i would obtain that MRI right now. you just really need to know what the underlying cause is for this heavy muscle involvment. i wish you luck in just getting to that source sooner vs later. please keep me posted as to what you find out. marcia

Closed Thread