It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2009, 05:11 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User
How does lumbar affect the legs/knees?

I'm curious if anyone here experiances problems with their knees. I'm going for an MRI soon of the lumbar. My last MRI of the C & T area picked up herniations with the L1&2 along with lack of CSF, but did not go any further then that area. Due to cervical fusion the lumbar was put off. Now I'm noticing problems in some areas such difficulty walking if I sit any length of time. My knees have also been bothering me & the left one wants to give out at times. I have back pain & pressure but it can vary. Some days its not so bad & others like around my monthly the pain is up there. My legs can feel really heavy. Every morning I shuffle & limp. I dont want the lumbar let go or allowed to get as bad as the cerivical did. I dont know much about the lumbar but I have noticed at the same time the knees are aching the bladder is getting worse. Perhaps it not related but thought I would ask.
Thanks so much for any input. Sammy

Old 07-14-2009, 06:16 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB User
Re: How does lumbar effect the legs/knees

Hi, I have years of experience with low back problems. This definately does affect my legs, and will also put pressure on my bladder at times, causing me to feel like I have to go more often. I had a herniation at L 4-5, and this caused me to limp with pain going down one leg and I was only able to stand for about 5 minutes at a time. I had surgery for that and was told I also have spinal stenosis. The stenosis causes my legs to ache and feel worn out if I stand too long, 20 minutes or so. I also have arthritis in my low back, so I have two problems in one area. The weather seems to affect my knees alot, which will ache half the day seemingly for no reason, another day they will not. My hips, kness, and calves will takes turns aching depending on the weather. Yet I will also have pain if I shop, stand, or walk much, a block or two. I read that wherever you have a problem in your back, it can affect the areas below that, which would be your legs, so yes, it does affect your legs. Good luck to you in finding relief. Reading up on your condition really helps in your recovery and treatment. I found out what I had by searching the internet before I went to the doc, only because I love learning about what I have and I like to get an idea ahead of time what I am dealing with.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2009, 07:52 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Linda_in_NJ HB User

I have that pain and weakness in my thighs. When I walk or stand or sit for too long my thighs go numb and the muscles ache like crazy. It feels as if someone is inside my leg pulling at my muscles. I do have occasional pain in calves and feet but not as bad as my thighs. I was diagnosed with listhesis at L3-4 and my disc is totally gone. I also have pressure on my bladder and in fact have had 4 UTI's in the past 6 months. I have an appointment with the Special Surgeries of NY on Tuesday, just for a 2nd opinion. Hope we all feel better soon. Linda

Old 07-14-2009, 01:00 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB User

Linda, what is listhesis? I have been having problems with my thighs too, some days when I am up too long. The other day when I was shopping, the pain started at my hips, then went to my thighs, then my calves. It was always my calves before, but has been moving now to my knees, and my hips.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:57 PM   #5
(female)

michelemore HB User

As I read, listhesis is when one vertebre is pushing over another. sounds oh so painful!

I am so relieved I read this thread. I have scoliosis, a few broken bones and stinosis from a twice broken tailbone on top of a fused vertebre. Recently my legs, thighs and feet have been really really painful. It does happen more when I sit for long periods of time and in the morning I can barely get down my stairs to the kitchen. It does get better as the morning progresses but then I'm on my feet most of the day and it comes back. I've begun walking for about 40 minutes a day and I think it's going to help. I'm on a daily dose of methadone and neurontin and it doesn't help with that pain all that much.
This is a wonderful board. I am so relieved to find a possible answer as the doctors tend to dismiss this and not get to the source or possible source.

feel better!
Michele

Old 07-15-2009, 06:16 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Linda_in_NJ HB User
Re: How does lumbar affect the legs/knees?

Hi Michele is right. The full term is spondyliolisthesis and it means that a vertabre is out of alignment. I have found out so much information for the boards because when I first was diagnosed with this I didn't know a thing. Sometimes the nerves push on bladder muscles and nerves and also bowel. My biggest complaint is the the weakness and pains in my thighs. My upper thighs and hip area is the worst. I can't walk at times. I am due for a fusion surgery in August but I have a 2nd opinion appointment with the Hospital for special surgeries next week. Kasey, a simple x-ray with show a listhesis but the mri shows all the nerves. Good luck

Last edited by Linda_in_NJ; 07-15-2009 at 06:18 AM.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:12 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User
Re: How does lumbar affect the legs/knees?

thanks everyone, I have been confused with my knees, as it used to be just weakness in the left knee & know both hurt, its a constant ache in one or both as stated here for no apparent reason. I noticed at first when I would get on my knees I struggled to get back up. The left is still the worst of the two. I am waiting for it to give out one of these days. I have had to catch myself a number of times. I can have some hip pain to.
I have problems with my hands & carpal tunnal out of no where after my cervical fusion & finally slept through the night when the knee woke me up throbbing. I reallly could have screamed.
As for the bladder its getting worse, where I'll start to void without any control before I can make it to the bathroom. Talk about embarrassing. I have to make a run for it & I want even say how I must look while I'm trying to get to the bathroom,lol.
Having the cervical & knowing there is more then likely lumbar has me pretty nervous.
In the lower back its pressure, very much like constipation but worse.
I am wondering if anyone here finds it more painful around their monthly cycle? I have very little control of my overall pain at that time of the month. One of my GPs said it can make things worse especially if the weather conditions are involved to. Add the pressure in the air to the extra fluid retention for a female at that time & its nasty combo for elevated pain.

Yes the doctors dont tell you everything & it took me yrs to get the cervical problem found. I had the lower back issues then but could not get the doctors to take me serious if I addressed the entire back issues. I even had one say you cant have both only to have my surgeon say its not uncommon to have lumbar & cervical problems. I was not at all surprised when the MRI showed issues in the first 2 discs. Although the wording on the report was urging a repeat on the area, not one of my doctors addressed it other then to say we will have to focus on the cervical for now since its causing most of your pain.
Now I have to deal with both & I'm not to happy. I am looking for a new surgeon to evaluate my problems & whoms speciality is spinal.
So much to learn, I should be getting the lumbar MRI this month & we will see if its causing these problems.
I will have to keep visiting this board to learn what I can, as you learn more from people with the same problems then doctors most of the time. Thanks again for all of your time & I always welcome any opinions. God bless, Sammy

Closed Thread