It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2009, 04:44 AM   #1
(female)

lilcee HB User
Severe pain in back with tingling in arms and legs

I've had severe pains in my back for a long time. I've been to the chiropracter several times over the last few weeks. The problem is that a couple of weeks ago I started getting tingling in my arms and legs along with the back pain. The pain is mostly in my middle and lower back with some in my upper back which causes headaches. It also shoots down into my legs and feet.

I've read that if you have a bulged disc that you shouldn't see a chiropractor. Is that true?
I'm going to get an MRI as soon as they can get it schedualed. What can cause all the tingling? I wake up in the mornings and I'm feeling so ill. I have some nausea which I think is prob from all the pain. I have headaches, feel tight all over especially in the chest, tingle all over, I'm tired all the time because I don't get a good nights sleep.

I'm getting scared that I might have something seriously wrong with me and it causes me to cry all the time - the pain doesn't help with that either. Sometimes I feel like I'm going crazy with all the tingling and the ill feeling.

Sorry, had to vent. I want my life back but I'm in so much pain it's hard to do anything. I'm not sure what kind of Dr to see. I've been to my PC Dr and she's tying but it takes so long to get any kind of tests done and then get the results. Can anyone give me some kind of info on what I should do for the pain? I don't like to take presc. pain meds.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2009, 07:49 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Severe pain in back with tingling in arms and legs

so this actual chiro did adjustments on you without even bothering to even do a basic x ray of your actual spine at least? if he did not at least do that much for you, it would be very risky to actually just start adjusting and moving things around within that spinal area without actually knowing what it is or was that is BEING adjusted. there can just be sooo many possible problems that a person can have going on both within that spinal area structurally and within the very delicate spinal cord area as well. simply not even looking at the area with even an x ray really is petty stupid on his part. for now and until you can get an idea of just what is going on in there, stay the heck away from ANY chiro for now. they can create problems where there were none before and also make things that are there already much much worse when they simply cannot see what the heck is going on in there at all. or even know what the underlying generators are.

so you already had 'just' the back pain when you started and THEN you started having the upper spinal problems after adjustments were made? the best possible thing for you right now would be to simply obtain a contrasted MRI. this would at the very least, show what is going on inside that spinal column down to the important cord level. there are just alot of different types of possible spinal issues where actual adjustments can make things worse that personally i would never have a chiro adjustment done for what my problems are/were. espescially the c spine area. with no way to really know just what is actually going on down to that cord level espescially the much more highly innervated c spine area, it is kind of a crapshoot to have something done up there that is kind of just a "blind' adjustment type of thing?

anyone who is contemplating even seeing a chiro just has to really obtain an MRI first and be cleared to even have adjusting done at all. i had a glob of blood vessels form inside my actual cord(there from birth) that i did not even know was there til it showed up on a routine MRI i had done to figure out what disc i had herniated. i was told by my neurosurgeon that if i had had gone the chiro route(i had contemplated it) i could have suffered a major type of bleed inside my spinal cord. adjustments would have been really a bad thing for what MY particular issues were. without any look inside that area, you just really do not know if what is actually causing your symptoms is one of those things that could be made much worse with ANY types of adjustments. this is just one of those better safe than sorry types of situations when we are talking the spinal area at all. while chiros DO serve a good purpose for some things, other issues can just pop in that you never had before an adjustment was made, and like i mentioned, alot depends upon just what the problems are too. you just have to be certain they are safe, thats all.

i would just see your primary about that MRI referral and make darn certain to also let him know that you had NEW symptoms pop in AFTER adjustments were made too. that could have easily been created by just doing adjustments, espescially when he did not have a clue as to what is there at all. whatever does or does not actually show up on that MRI being done would kind of dictate just what your next steps should be. hopefully things are not as bad as you think. but you just really do, espescially with that new symptom up top now, need to get that done as soon as possible. i do wish you luck with this. please let me know what you find out. Marcia

Old 08-01-2009, 10:13 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

brendaks1 HB Userbrendaks1 HB Userbrendaks1 HB User

I completely agree with Marcia - stay away from that chiropractor!

Chiropractors can be wonderful in many situations and do a lot of good for a lot of people, but in your case the potential for harm outweighs the potential for good and you are already getting worse.

Get an MRI ASAP and get to a spinal surgeon for an evaluation. Just because you see a surgeon doesn't automatically mean you need surgery, and many people are able to get better with conservative treatment methods such as physical therapy, cortisone injections, etc.

Warm wishes!

Old 08-01-2009, 10:23 AM   #4
(female)

lilcee HB User

Thank you for your advice. I did have an xray before adjustment from this one chiro I'm going to but I've seen another one before who never did any kind of xray. But the xray only showed a slight curve. But after the last few adjustments, I've been having a lot of tingling and severe pain in my back. I also feel sick at times and have back cramps - Dr thinks these are muscle spasms but I think they are something different. When I get the back cramps, I get nausea and feel really sick. I didn't have these before. They just started up a couple of weeks ago. That and the tingling. And, they are getting worse. I'm waiting to hear about the MRI. The Dr told me to give them a couple of days. I had an MRCP that took me a month to get and then another month to find out the results. They are so slow. I told her I didn't want to wait another two months that I need answers now. She said she would put an ASAP on the order so since I haven't heard from them, I will call Mon and put a bomb under them. I really need some help and some answers. It's starting to get to me and affect my everyday living. I'm thinking of going to the Mayo Clinic - they have one here in my city - if I don't get any answers from my PC. Do you know anything about them?
My husband said I need to see a chiro again - he swears by them - but I told him I want to wait til I get the MRI because I think it's making me worse.
Thanks again for your support and advice. I'll let you know what I find out.
Sorry for such a long post but it helps to talk to someone who is going through some of the same things. My husband is really good about trying to make me feel better and gives me massages whenever I need one (which doesn't really help tho) but since he doesn't have all this pain - he can't really relate to what I'm goiing through.

One other problem I have is that sometimes I feel hot inside my body but with no fever. Then I get a chill. I told my husband I wonder if I have some kind of infection or something.
Take care
Celia

Last edited by lilcee; 08-01-2009 at 10:28 AM.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:26 AM   #5
(female)

lilcee HB User

What is a bleed inside the spinal cord? What would the symptoms be? I've been feeling so sick with this.

Old 08-02-2009, 07:02 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

if you yourself actually had any type of bleed into YOUR cord,you would have known it by now. my bleed occured ONLY because i had what is called a cavernous hemanioma inside my cord. this would not be something you would get without something "being' in there that is just not supposed to be like i did.

you mentioned you DID actually have an x ray done? was this a FULL spinal or just the specific area of pain you were having? just having what would appear to be c spine involvement here when there was none prior to adjustments, could very easily stemmed from the adjustments themselves. or something could have already been going on in there that was just made worse and it showed itself then too. it would be kind of hard to tell unless you had a comparritive before and after type of x ray that would just show any true changes there. since that one chiro DID actually do one, at least you DO have some level of 'before" there to work with if needed to show something at some point. unless it did not actually include that c spine area.

i would just wait on going to any other places like that mayo til that MRI gets done and you just see what is and is not actually affected in there. just take this one step at a time for now til you know something more solid here. just why was that MRCP done on you? what were your symptoms you had that prompted that?

just concentrate right now on getting that MRI done, preferrably with some contrasting agent too. it just helps to better highlight certain areas upon MRI that do not always show up really well. hopefully you can get this done much sooner vs later. please let us know what the findings are. make certain to actually obtain your OWN copy of the MRI results just so you DO have that copy for yourself. i do this with all testing i have had to have done and i also obtain all ongoing medical records from my treating docs too like at least once a year. it just helps me to try and stay on top of all my medical issues much better. but DO get that copy. good luck lil, marcia

Closed Thread