It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2009, 01:02 AM   #1
(male)

way2young HB User
If you have had a lower lumbar fusion and can help, please read this!!!

Can anyone that has had a level 2 lower lumbar fusion tell me if you went back to your job even if it was a real physical and repetitive production job? My back is my livelyhood and has been for over 15 years. Now I am told it wiil not be the same and that I will have to be real careful what I do with it or I will be right back having another fusion done. Will I need to start using my mind more now instead of my physical body? What should I expect from this workers comp world? Will I need to go back to school to learn something new? Will I lose my job? Am I a risk now where I am and anywhere I go to work? I guess I would like to now what my odds are and what you have experinced or gone through! I will take all the advice anyone can give me who has been here! So much to think about, having to start over again, will I only be kept long enough to return to work and then let go,will I have problems finding work from here on out, will I even be able to go back to work, how will I ever make the amount of money I make now again! I feel this just changes everything I have earned and built up to this point in my life and now what! Thanks to anyone who can give me good sound advice and knowledge in this area of my life!

Old 08-14-2009, 01:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User
Re: If you have had a lower lumbar fusion and can help, please read this!!!

[COLOR="Navy"]I had the lower three level fusion done. What you will need to do is to learn to listen to your back and to be conscious of what you do to and with it all day. Perhaps you should consider getting a brace to wear as an extra added support on a daily basis. I do know that you will probably be given some sort of brace to wear for the first couple of weeks to help support your back after your surgery. No BLT is the mantra that you will need to have running through your head as you start to heal. And remember that it can take 6 months for fusion to show itself in your back. So slow and steady is the name of the game. No bending lifting and turning is the rules that we live by. Work on strengthening your core muscles as they do all the work and most of use and incredible weak in our core area, but we would never know it.
Read the sticky notes at the top of the page about healing after surgery, they offer a wealther of information. This is a major event in your life, but what are your other options?

good luck![/COLOR]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2009, 09:43 PM   #3
(male)

way2young HB User

Thanks! Yeah, I know it will be a slow process. I guess I just expected so much to see instant results and didn't. This has really gotten me down. I just have to wait and see what happens. It is fustrating not knowing what the future will hold for me. If I will return to my same job or if they will let me go or what. I will try to deal with it all the best way I can and just try to be positive! Thanks again for the respond!

Old 09-23-2009, 10:04 AM   #4
(male)

peter39 HB User

sounds like you had the same surgery i did lower 3 fused i am a construction worker wondering what the future holds my surgery was aug 28 pain is better but cannot sleep feet hurt from walking i try around the block every day but hips and feet kill me wondering if i will ever be a carpender again any inputs pls let me know.

Old 09-23-2009, 03:04 PM   #5
(female)

nancyco14 HB User

I had a fusion of L2, L3, L4, L5, and S1 a year ago; much pain was relieved, but there are a number of activities I am no longer able to perform. It's all I can do to bend over enough to dry my feet after a shower, can't do any yard work like weeding because it requires bending. I walk 2 miles a day and do some of my own housework.

Each case is different and I hope you can return to doing your job. You sound younger than I; I'm 70.

Best wishes to you.

Nancy

Old 09-23-2009, 04:11 PM   #6
(male)

peter39 HB User

nancy i am 39 injury happened 9 months ago i feel ok now but i can't bend at all or pick anything up does this get better, almost a month now since the surgery i see the surgeon in 2 weeks was wondering if theres any questions i can ask him but i feel better than before but weeker in the lower back erea?
thanks for the responce

Old 09-23-2009, 04:54 PM   #7
(female)

nancyco14 HB User

My doc said it takes a full year to recover. Follow your doc's advice; you wouldn't want to injure yourself by overdoing.

You have youth on your side.

Nancy

Old 09-23-2009, 08:56 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Does your employer offer Long Term Disability? If you are out for a long time and have LTD you can get LTD (less whatever WC is paying). And yes, sometimes they do offer re-education and/or re-training but that's all individualized based on your age, education, location, etc.

Old 09-24-2009, 04:41 AM   #9
(male)

peter39 HB User

spineaz it was a workers comp slip and a fall at work on the ice i applied for ssd haven't heard anything yet but thanks for the input .

Old 09-24-2009, 07:46 AM   #10
(male)

way2young HB User

I am almost six weeks now and still have nerve pain in my right leg. My toe also has not stopped twitching. Now I am having terrible anxiety and have been put on meds for that as well. I was told not to go for ssd because I am to young, plus need to wait to see what the end outcome will be since it is WC. I also can not do LTD and get my WC at the same time. The WC overrides the LTD. Have not been contacted from my employeer the first time, not even in the hospital! It looks as they do noy care, I wonder how things will be and if they will let me go back to work? Doc. says I will have restrictions on me, but it's to early to know what they will be. Bad enough I have the pain in my leg and now I have to deal with anxiety on top of all this! All I can do is wonder what my future holds, will I have a job, will I have to keep dealing with anxiety, will the pain and my toe twitching ever stop,etc.!

Old 09-24-2009, 08:36 AM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Please be sure to get a copy of the LTD policy booklet. Many LTD policies "offset" whay is received from WC - but LTD can last beyond the duration of WC. So once you get the booklet check out the sections on "other income" and any section that references WC. Also, no one is ever too young for SS if truly disabled. However SS is very selective in that the person must be (or appears will be) permanently disabled from all occupations.

I hope this helps.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:33 PM   #12
(male)

peter39 HB User

hey guys what is a ltd? i am alittle confused by this way to young, you sound like you did physical work like i did the surgeon told me before hand i will not be able to return to carpendry so i am looking into outher careers but difficult because i have been in the construction field for20 years now as for anxiety i am just plain bored out of my mind at home all day thank god for the web i am still interested in anyone that has had the lower 3 fused the time it takes to lift some weight having trouble with a phone book lol pls respond and waytoyoung keep your chin up and keep smiling finds it helps me )))) see you 2 soon

Old 09-24-2009, 12:52 PM   #13
Facilitator
(female)

LTD is Long Term Disability. This is a benefit offered by some employers to their employees. Employees often pay some or all of the premium. LTD pays monthly benefits as long as some one is disabled.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:31 AM   #14
(male)

way2young HB User

I have already had the l4-l5 fusion surgery. I did check into the LTD and they tell me I can't get both at the same time only WC right now. I have really started to have bad anxiety and have been put on meds. for it now. I just don't know how all this WC stuff will turn out and I have to make sure my family is taken care of. Doc. says I will have restrictions but I don't know what they will be yet. I have not had PT or the work hardening they say I will have to do toward the end. I still have lots of pain and don't want it all covered up by meds. just for someone to say I'm ok. I want them to know how I really feel and what I really feel! Thanks guys, your a big help and I try to think positive, but its really hard with all this!

Old 09-26-2009, 02:11 AM   #15
(female)

judi AU HB User

hi I have had only 2 levels fused with instrumentation and now require further surgery to the level above this however i am told that this is not going to happen
in my life time so its tough luck.

I have been down the medication road and cannot cope with the effects so its positive thinking and relaxation weight control and on with life the best way I can for as long as i am able to physically do so.

Closed Thread

Tags
general