It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2009, 02:30 PM   #1
(male)

deviphish HB User
ALIF surgery recovery time , Etc..

Hey I am scheduled to have the knife on Sept.14th {2 wEEks } wow.. They're going in threw my front - anterior approach with hardware.. I have had a posterior fusion l4-5 l5-s1 2 years ago and now they are doing the same levels as last time ONLY threw the front this time ; FAILED BACK SYNDROME ;

Any advise would be appreciated , I'm a 32 year old IRISH Male , with a block for a head !!!LOL.... If any body had what I am about to have please let me no what awaits for me , and please don't leave any thing out > I'm a sucker for details..
RECOVERY TIME
PAIN LEVEL (and what they had you on for pain)
WHAT MAKES YOUR LIFE EASIER (the little things ya no)
WALKING

Anything would be much help full , and I appreciate all your advice on this matter > The clock is ticking !!!!

DEV

Old 09-01-2009, 07:16 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User
Re: ALIF surgery recovery time , Etc..

Dear Blockhead,
Just kidding! You made me laugh! I'm gonna let someone else answer this, since I had front and back. Two incisions make for a different recovery than just one.

This is a good time of year for this surgery, just as the hotter weather is going. Mine was on Sept 25. When I got home, it was warm but not hot, so my brace was no big deal at all. When it got colder, the brace helped keep me nice and warm all winter.

I hope some others will chime in about the anterior approach and recovery.

You hang in there, Billy! It'll be great to get this over with!

Emily

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2009, 10:46 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kyma3 HB User
Re: ALIF surgery recovery time , Etc..

Well Billy I guess I can't really help you either on this one because I had both also. I did have about a month in between my abdominal and my backside because I got an infection in my abdominal incision. I had had abdominal surgery twice before for other things but it did take me awhile to get over this one, in fact, I still have a bruise (?) beside my incision where the infection was and it has been 18 months. Go figure!!!!

You will definitely want to have a pillow to hold on your stomach when you cough, sneeze or laugh. I had terrible pulling sensation on my incision but I think a lot of that was from the infection and you ARE NOT going to have an infection! Okay? They had me on my regular Lortab10/325 but then when they finished and did the backside they also added percocet, too. I know when I got home from the hospital after the abdominal surgery I would prop myself up with a lot of pillows and you will still need to do the "roll" to get out of bed.

Recovery time? Well, I am still recovering unfortunately because I have also not shown fusion and still having sharp pains both in back and stomach. The neurosurgeon did put in an extra screw in the middle of my disc because he was hoping it would help with stabilization since I have osteoporosis really bad, too. The verdict is still out on that one.

Really I think the only thing that will be different for you from your past surgery will be having that pillow near by. I guess when I said I couldn't help you I just had to keep on talking. Maybe someone else will come on that just had the abdominal procedure done and can help you some more.

Keep hanging in there, kid. Everything is going to work out right for you this time.

Love Ya
Linda a.k.a Moma Bear

Closed Thread