It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2009, 04:26 PM   #1
(male)

Richard Secord HB User
Bad Back and hip Pain: Help reading MRI results

Hello,

I have been having low back pain for about 3 years on and off. In 2007 I had an injury lifting equipment. Below are the results for my MRI from 2007.

“MRI of the lumbar spine was reviewed and found to show degenerative disk change at L3 through S1, but with no areas of severe stenosis. There were noted to be mild right L5-S1 and moderate Left L4-5 and L5-S1 neural formainal narrowing and mild central canal stenosis at L5-S1. No areas of nerve root compression were identified to correlate with his complaints of pain and numbness in his left lower extremity.”

I now am in bad pain in my lower back, butt and the back of my legs. My Dr. keeps ordering P.T. and Tramadol. Now this is not working.

I would appreciate some advice if anyone has an idea

Thanks Rich..

Old 09-03-2009, 09:43 AM   #2
(male)

WorriedAthlete HB User
Re: Bad Back and hip Pain: Help reading MRI results

[QUOTE=Richard Secord;4069282]Hello,

I have been having low back pain for about 3 years on and off. In 2007 I had an injury lifting equipment. Below are the results for my MRI from 2007.

“MRI of the lumbar spine was reviewed and found to show degenerative disk change at L3 through S1, but with no areas of severe stenosis. There were noted to be mild right L5-S1 and moderate Left L4-5 and L5-S1 neural formainal narrowing and mild central canal stenosis at L5-S1. No areas of nerve root compression were identified to correlate with his complaints of pain and numbness in his left lower extremity.”

I now am in bad pain in my lower back, butt and the back of my legs. My Dr. keeps ordering P.T. and Tramadol. Now this is not working.

Thanks Rich..[/QUOTE]

Man, this would be funny if it weren't so scary. My MRI results read almost identical, word for word. I was injured in a construction accident (knocked off some scaffolding backwards, long story), and the trauma and resulting MRI revealed that I had probably just greatly exacerbated problems that already existed but that weren't causing me any daily pain. Now, I have 24hr low back pain, can't feel my left foot and lower leg, and cannot lift more than about 30lbs without it putting my entire left leg to sleep. My legs don't necessarily 'hurt,' but the numbness and tingling is driving me crazy.

So far, have been advised to do everything from 'spinal decompression' also called "Lordex" and several other brand names, to complete fusion at L3 thru S1. That's not happening, I can tell you that. The Lordex gave me some relief, at least I think it did, but it was marginal. Have had numerous steroid injections, with very little relief. Had one ortho surgeon recommend the "X-Stop" intraspinous decompression surgery, where they put the titanium rollerbearings between your spinous processes and basically just 'jack' your spine up without fusing it. That is still an iffy procedure if you want to remain really active (I like to ski, mt. bike, kayak, etc). It sounds like a good procedure for someone who doesn't do much more than play a little golf and work in the garden.

I have also been exploring some of the newer artificial disc replacements: Maverick, Pro-Disc, etc. I have a friend who went to Stenum in Germany and had two put in his neck, and he's really happy, but that is not the same as lower back. The verdict still seems to be out on whether they really last and can handle the loads I want to put on my lower back. Turns out I may not be a candidate for ADR because my MRI also revealed a "Parr's fracture" of one of the transverse processes at my L4 vertebrae. Frustrating. But, the longer I hold off, hopefully the better the technology will be and I'll be able to do something (ANYTHING) besides spinal fusion.

Am scheduled to go down Monday for an evaluation for this new Radio Frequency Ablation procedure, which sounds like basically just burning away the nerve endings to my facet joints and SI joint. So, even though I'm still damaged, at least I won't be in pain anymore (that's the theory anyway).

I've gone to one of the seminars put on by the Laser Spine Institute, too. Seems like a bit of a slick sales pitch to me, but the retired ortho doc who put it on and looked at my MRI said that he was 'sure' that an LSI doc could give me long-term nerve relief and a lot more function, and that he would recommend avoiding spinal fusion at all costs. I've been doing a lot of research on these guys, and the reviews are definitely mixed, IF you can find anything posted by anyone who isn't directly affiliated with them. Good luck. I came to the conclusion with them that if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Anyway, sounds like you are in a lot of the same kind of pain as me. Your MRI results could be taken directly off my file, nearly word for word. Hope you find some rational relief out there, without having to resort to fusion.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2009, 06:44 PM   #3
(female)

Precious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB User
Talking Re: Bad Back and hip Pain: Help reading MRI results

You have to do what's "best" for you. Every case is a bit different, and every Dr. can be different in there procedures. I have bulging disk in my neck and lower back, but not in a great amount of pain unless I have a flare.
Now, my daughter that's a different story. She is recovering from a ruptured disk in the lower levels. A week before her surgery she had gotten so bad that she was in pain every minute of the day, and the pain was severe in the hip and all the way to the top of her toes. She was fused and has a bone stimulator in. She is 2 weeks post-op and is doing pretty good. The original pain in her hip and leg are gone, and she has the normal pain from the surgery. She had a Neuro surgeon and a Orthopedic surgeon do the surgery and she got Excellent care at the surgery center. Even the Dr's didn't really know how bad it was until they actually went in. She had fragments from the disk laying on her nerves, and she had MRI's, and CT scans before a decision was made.
You might ask yourself how much is this affecting your life, and your job right now. Are you able to sleep at night. I will be praying you make a good decision for you.
P.S. If you do have surgery, ask allot of questions. Write them down before you go to the Dr. This goes for everyone reading this. It pays to check out your Dr. before you consent to anything.

Old 03-17-2012, 03:36 PM   #4
(female)

mar777y HB User
Wink Re: Bad Back and hip Pain: Help reading MRI results

[QUOTE=Richard Secord;4069282]Hello,

Thanks Rich..[/QUOTE]

Hi Rich,

I have the same symptoms, and have for over 6 years. I had asked docs for 3 years of more for a left hip MRI, which finally was done. I had torn my piriformis muscle and half of it healed back onto the sacrum further up and more medially in the sacrum. There is a mass effect on my sciatic nerve. I was disabled completely from work, and we are looking into whether the docs were protecting each other for being at fault for a major misdiagnosis and tortuous PT. I also take tramadol, and was still bedridden. Neurontin helped some as well, 600 mg x 3x a day.

Good luck.

Closed Thread