It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2009, 09:00 AM   #1
(male)

lemonflavor HB User
More Pain After Lumbar Microdiscectomy

My microdiscectomy was "successful". I wasn't able to stand up straight because of the herniated disc pressing on the nerves and had pain shooting down my right side. I can now stand up straight and don't have as much pain shooting down.

But now I have pain in my lower back on both sides, rear end, and when it's worse down the back of my thighs and even down to my feet.

I can't blame this on the surgery for sure because these issues where there to a minor degree before surgery. But they got much worse at a fast rate after surgery.

I also have clinical depression and fibromyalgia to complicate things.

I can't sit in a chair for long, even a recliner and can't stand for long without pain. I mostly lie down all day.

Physical therapy makes me worse, TENS unit does nothing, multiple injections--both cortisone and ablations didn't help. Pain meds are the only thing that helps.

Anyone have similar experience? Any other comments are welcome.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:37 AM   #2
(female)

Sancha HB User
Cool Re: More Pain After Lumbar Microdiscectomy

I am a Senior female. Had an endoscopic laminectomy and fusion 2 1/2 months ago. I too have pain standing and sitting, but have found that walking has helped a lot. I have neuropathy due to diabetes and spinal stenosis. The pain in my back has not gone away yet, but I am hopeful that the surgery will help eventually. Walk as much as you can and limit sitting and standing in one place. You do not say how long ago you had your surgery, but try to keep positive. It helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2009, 02:34 PM   #3
(male)

lemonflavor HB User
Re: More Pain After Lumbar Microdiscectomy

Walking hurts me. I know everybody says to walk but I can't for more than a block. I can't build up either because it's like picking on a scab, it only makes it worse. I used to be a powerlifter so I'm not afraid of exercise. I do some [I]very[/I] light specialized weight training and some stationary bike.

Last edited by lemonflavor; 09-16-2009 at 02:34 PM.

Old 09-16-2009, 03:49 PM   #4
(male)

tfireman HB User

Have same symtoms, have tried everything you have, now going to try spinal cord stimulation.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:11 PM   #5
(male)

lemonflavor HB User

My back surgeon's physician's assistant (I never talk to the actual doc, I suppose that's for another thread) is very skeptical of spinal cord stimulation. My PM doc recommends looking into it but he doesn't do it. So I don't know. I consider it a last resort, before fusion anyway.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:51 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

deb53 HB User

You could be talking about me!!
A piece of the disc that had ruptured broke off and was laying on the nerve at L5-S1 for three weeks before surgery (this was 2 years ago). After surgery I felt pretty good for a few weeks and then the pain started creeping again into the lower back, a few weeks later into the buttocks, sometime later down the leg and into my foot. Went through PT, spinal injections, TENS unit, aquatic therapy, on and on. I have permanent nerve damage and a big mass of scar tissue around the nerve root. If I had more surgery to remove it I could end up worse than I am now, and that goes for the SCS as well since that is inserted with a surgical procedure. Some do have great results with the SCS...each person is different. Like you, I can't sit very long, lay very long, stand very long. My injury was work related and they have testing that they do to determine your level of work capability. I failed miserably and am now applying for disability. Also like you, one day I was hurting much worse than normal, another MRI, more PT and no better. FINALLY got referred to a wonderful doc and she says "now you have two problems...failed back and fibro". A fairly high number of back/chronic pain patients end up with fibro. At this point in time I honestly can't tell you which is worse. They both suck! So I am managed with pain meds now and unless they come out with some magic procedure for scar tissue and fibro I guess I will be forever. It is so very frustrating!
Hang in there and hope you feel better!

Deb

Old 09-17-2009, 09:17 AM   #7
(male)

lemonflavor HB User

Deb sorry to hear you too are going through this but it's nice to know I'm not so unusual.

How do they know you have scar tissue around the nerve root?

I wonder why I have bilateral pain if the original surgery was on one side.

Old 09-17-2009, 03:18 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

deb53 HB User

Hi Lemonflavor,
They can see the scar tissue around the nerve root on an MRI. I'll pull out one of my old MRI's....I can't remember if it reads the the scar tissue "enhances" or does "not enhance", but a radiologist can definitely see it.
When my back flares really bad, I also get pain on the opposite side as well as on the inside of my thighs and "bottom". I started with pain on the both sides at about 3 months post op. No changes in MRI. Of course, the surgeon says I shouldn't hurt on the opposite side. A neurologist told me one time that is what all surgeons say when they have no clue as to what the reason is. Bottom line is that you do hurt.
How soon after your surgery were you diagnosed with fibro? What seems to bother you the most? What level was your injury? Mine was L5-S1.
Feel better.

Deb

Old 09-17-2009, 05:04 PM   #9
(male)

lemonflavor HB User

I've had problems with depression nearly all my life and fibro long before surgery so it isn't a post surgery type thing. I'd say the fibro made the back worse insted of the other way around.

I'm getting a thoracic MRI done. I feel something pushing under my spine and it feels weird when I sit bent forward. Anyway, couldn't they do a thoracic and lumbar at the same time? Although if I have scar tissue I doubt they'd want to do anything about it. The micro was in Jan 09.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:41 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

deb53 HB User

Yes, they could do both areas at the same time on your MRI. Usually a surgeon will not do anything about scar tissue. It would just be helpful to know if that is the cause of some/most of your pain. If they go in to remove the scar tissue you may actually end up worse, there is no way to tell. I have heard of some surgeons who go in with laser to remove scar tissue but I'm not sure how successful it is. Let us know how your MRI goes.

Deb

Old 09-29-2009, 05:55 AM   #11
(male)

fordfan HB User

hi im nicky i recently had l5-s1 laminectomy due to pain through my left side from buttock down my leg to foot plus numbness that was on my left side but now its all starting again but this time on my right side all same symtoms im gutted

Closed Thread