It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2009, 06:35 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

marshrose HB User
6 months post op L4-5 fusion- problems.... anyone?

I'm baaack lol after many a computer problem I'm back online again. I am 6 months post op L4-5 fusion-screws rods all that jazz, and 1 yr post op L3-4/L4-5 microdiscectomy (rehernated).

I have been through the ringer and am ready to throw in the towel.

Been thru 3 months pt, and aquatherapy, but now I have increased pain and nerve pains/jolts electricity that goes down both legs in different areas. I am on 1500mg neurontin, sometimes muscle relaxers, sleep meds, vicoden (does crap). I am limited daily on what I can do/accomplish, and walking triggers even more nerve pains to the point I haveto stop dead in my tracks until it goes away.

I saw the surgeon, he wants a MRI and EMG. Haven't gone yet for them awaiting scheduling.....

Anyone have INCREASED or new nerve pains SIX MONTHS (actually started @ 5 months) after a lumbar fusion? Its breaking throu the neurontin, I was bedridden for 9 months, so I cant complain much as I am walking now, also thanks to neurontin. I do get my limp back if I am up too much, 2 days and until it rains, and now I can't get comfortable even in bed at nite or on the recliner.

My legs ache alot again too like I was beaten with a bat. I do not have a right knee or achilles reflex still either, and if the PT tries to straighten my leg while I sit it stays bent cuz of the muscle or something, it does not go straight still. It is worse this month compared to last month.

Sometimes when I sit one or both legs will go dead and I try to stand or move them around and my ankle just rolls cuz the leg is dead after about 10 minutes it comes back.

Anyone get an EMG AFTER fusion? similar pains? what was the result? Surgeon said it could show negative even WITH my pains. IDK. I'm at a loss.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by marshrose; 09-21-2009 at 07:17 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2009, 01:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User
Re: 6 months post op L4-5 fusion- problems.... anyone?

Hi Rosespetal,
I'm sorry I can't help you, but I just wanted to say hello and send you a big hug. I hope the tests show something to help your doctor figure out a solution for you.

Emily

Old 09-21-2009, 02:36 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

marshrose HB User

Hay Em! Good to see you hope all is well on your end Ya sounding crappy on my end, I mean yes and no, as I AM getting around, just very limited, I can goto the store, but, even today, I had to bring my daughter to get her friend a gift, was walking then WHAM sand needle pain down the right of my spine and into my leg had to stop dead, person behind me practically walked into me and I had to wait a few until it passed and then took very small stride to get back to the truck and sat there for about 10 minutes to be sure it was gone as its my driving leg, and had to get home. I got NO clue whats up, just been getting progressively worse over about a month to month and a half. I DON'T WANT TO GET CUT OPEN ANYMORE! TWO TIMES IS ENUF!! Thats all thats been on my mind once he was rearing to order tests, been here done this!!!

Good to see you xoxoxo

Old 09-22-2009, 05:50 PM   #4
(female)

Robotta HB User

Hi everyone, Robotta is back to check in. Iam 8 months post op PLIF L5 S1.
Rods, screws, cage and cadaver bone. Saw my surgeon today, still have a pain level of about a 4, which is much better than before I had surgery in January.

I also had a bone density test done last month, which showed severe osteoporosis of both hips and lower back, Iam assuming this is adding to my discomfort. My pain is at about the level of where the hardware is.
I was told by my surgeon to check with him the end of December, and if I still have pain, he will order another Mylogram to see whats going on.
He did remind me that sometimes it takes up to a year to fuse . So at bed time I take 20 mg. of Flexeril, and 2 Darvocet N 100's.

Would like to hear from others that are still in pain after 8 months post op.
Iam praying for all of you that your pain subsides.
Iam a 68 yr. young female. hahahaha. Can't keep me down for long.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:22 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

You're only 6 months post op. Don't even think about more surgery yet. I knew early on that I'd need to have a piece of my hardware out, since it was poking through my back (didn't break the skin, just very painful to lean on). I couldn't even think about it for a long time. But when the time was right, I was excited and glad to get it over with. I know that's not like a repair surgery, like a fusion, but it was still getting cut open and I just couldn't even think about it. Too much!

I hope more surgery isn't in your future, but if that's what it takes to get rid of this pain, you'll get to where you need to be mentally to start getting on board with it. Try to see the good, as you are, like you're able to get around a bit now, even though you still have such horrible pain. Attitude helps, but it's hard to hang onto sometimes.

I hope you have a better day today.
Emily

Old 02-24-2010, 02:38 PM   #6
(male)

opie3212 HB User

I dont know if i can help u at all,but I am 2 mos post op of L 4 5 fusion and i have the electricity down my legs excruciating at times.it stops me in my tracks also. I think its worse than b4 the surgery.I also have no reflex in my right leg.The more i do the worse it gets.I am lucky because i can sit 4 awhile and it gets better.I have a very physical job though and i m suppose to return in 3 wks i dont know if i will b able 2. I have not had anything done since surgery except therapy 3 times a week.i m sorry i know that doesnt help u,but u have alot of the same symptoms as i. if i find anything that helps i will try 2 let u know.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:11 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

janiee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB User

Hi rosepetal, You might want to read my post to allanbruce today (DDD and stenosis) that may answer some of your questions. Also, I did have an EMG after my spinal fusion but I can't remember what it showed besides carpal tunnel syndrome which I already knew I had. I know that it showed something related to my back, but I can't remember what Sorry. If I do remember, I'll post back....janiee.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:32 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

brendaks1 HB Userbrendaks1 HB Userbrendaks1 HB User

Hey Rosepetals!

Sending cyber hugs your way!

I'm having similar problems and also feel like I never want to get cut open again. I really hope the doctor can find out what your problem is and treat it non-surgically.

Brenda

Closed Thread