It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2009, 06:11 PM   #1
(female)

NICKI312 HB User
Recent fall down the stairs-need some guidance

I posted in the disability thread because I am having some major problems from my job due to my recent medical condition so I thought I would ask the experts lol on back issues whether I am hurt really seriously or just a minor thing. I fell down my stairs almost 3 weeks ago. My foot sliiped out from under me and I was airborne and landed on the base of my neck/skull, upper back, middle of my back and butt. Not only did I fall but when I tried to grab the banister I missed it an ended up slidding down the stairs to the bottom. I fell down approx. 10 stairs and they are wood. The fall took place at home. I went to work that day becaues I am young and stupid but as the day wore on I was in so much pain, headache and nausea that I ended up in the ER in a neck brace. I had x rays and a cat scan and was told that I had severe contusions, sprains and muscle spasm. I was given percocet, told to ice and then heat and stay home from work for 4 days. This happened on a Wed so I thought that I would be ready to go back to work on Monday. Monday comes and I am still in alot of pain all the way from the base of head to my butt. I call into work to tell them that I am not coming and my boss says that if I dont come to fill out my time sheet I will not get paid and he wont do it for me. He also stated hat I only had a note for 4 days so if I didn't have another note I would need to get one because this would be my third work day in a row out. I came tyo work against my better judgement and lasted only 3 hours. As an aside I am a mobile clinician so I ride in a car for sometimes up to 8-10 hours a night driving through 3 different counties to people;s home providing them with therapy. needless to say the car was absolutely killing. Although I rarely drive being bumped around didi not help. i work in the mountains and there are alot of unpaved roads so you get the picture. I left work early and got an emergency appoitntment the next day. I tell the doctor that I am still having extreme pain, spasms, headaches and the pain is starting to move down the back of my thighs. He says you didnt get the right meds so he gave me Vicodin, Valuium and some other pain killer with an anti-inflammatory. He told me to stay home for the rest of the week bedbound and said I could go back to work on Monday but I cant do any mobile visits. I could only drive to work and home and no more driving at all. I went back to work after another week still feeling like s***t and I was not able to toake my medication as prescribed becasue it makes me very tired and I answer phones ata crisis hotline so the phone is always ringing, I am constantly typing and doing other things. I lasted 4 days (on their cheap chairs even though I had my fluffy pillow.) I took off Friday and went back to the doctor who stated that the other doctor gave me the wrong meds and swtiched me to Flexeril, Vicodin and the same anit-inflammatory. He stated that I can only do light duty (phones) indefinetly. I told him about the head aches, pain traveling down the back of my legs and new pain traveling down the back of my arms, and stiffness and he said after some reflex testing I guess that he feels that I just have some major contusions, sprains and spasms again. He staetd that he felt that I had no nerve damage and dismissed my request for an MRI. He stated that I am you ng and should bounce back in a few weeks. It has been 5 days since I went on this new regimine and I feel almost the same symptoms in regards to pain, headache ect. At this point I dont want to be a complainer but I am not getting better. I dont know if I am not giving myself enough time or if something else is wrong. This week I cut my medication in half to get through some of the pain but I was definitely more laid back and felt semi drugged up. I dont like this feelign becasue I need to be alert especially since I am delaing iwth people calling me saying that they want to kill themselves. I feel like tellign them join the club. I have gotten very depressed and spent the later part of last week (it was my birthday) and the weekend crying and feeling sorry for myself because I feel so worthless. In addition, I got a call from my boss saying that they have no light duty work and he cannot accommodate my shceule to do phones when I am a mobile worker so he was only able to give me 3 days or work this week. I raised holy hell at work very professioanally of course and whe I asked them for something in writing telling me that they cannot accommadate me they started talking about they have no policy and would investigate ADA. I looked on the ADA website and sprains and contusions are not normally considered disabilities. That is either here nor there. My concern is my back, neck, butt, the pain the headaches and how crappy I feel. Should I push for a MRI or give myself more time to relax take the meds and see what happens? Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread