It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2009, 12:55 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

efang HB Userefang HB User
How big dosage Lyrica I can use daily and I am still safe?

I saw my neuro surgeon on Oct 19, He reviewed my MRI and told me my MRI is “pretty good” and said I am in “ nerve irritation “ and right now no need surgery . He let me use Lyrica 75mg twice time/ day. If this doesn’t help. He is going to increase the dosage . he said the dosage will be increased until the "point" when the pain is released. My primary doctor disagrees I use high dosage Lyrica and he said 150 mg / day is OK and don’t Increase. But the my surgeon looks like need to increase more. I checked that Lyrica even has 300mg/ tablet. So someone may uses the dosage which is much more than mine.

Thank for your opinion!

Old 11-05-2009, 01:38 PM   #2
(female)

xixichang HB User
Re: How big dosage Lyrica I can use daily and I am still safe?

The recommended starting dose of Lyrica for controlling partial seizures in people with epilepsy is Lyrica 75 mg, taken twice daily, or Lyrica 50 mg, taken three times daily. If necessary to control your pain, your healthcare provider may increase your dose, up to a maximum of Lyrica 200 mg, taken three times daily. Thanks!

Last edited by xixichang; 11-06-2009 at 10:00 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2009, 09:51 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

[COLOR="Navy"]He's not taking Lyrica for seizures. He's taking it for nerve pain-which is one of the alternative uses of Lyrica.[/COLOR]

Old 11-06-2009, 10:01 AM   #4
(female)

xixichang HB User

I am sorry I made a mistake. I corrected it. Thank you !

Last edited by xixichang; 11-06-2009 at 10:02 AM.

Old 11-07-2009, 06:21 AM   #5
(female)

CaliGirl HB UserCaliGirl HB UserCaliGirl HB UserCaliGirl HB User

For nerve pain you can take up to 600 mg of Lyrica a day. My doctor told me however, that if 150 mg twice daily does not produce any relief that more will not likely be any better. The standard dose in much of pain-management is 300 mg 2 times daily. Many people take 150 mg twice daily. You are on what seems to me to be a starting dose. I have found that if I go below 200 mg per day that I am in pain. I take 100 mg twice daily. I cannot tolerate 150 mg twice daily. That is what was initially recommended for me. Also, for what it's worth, I have a small build and that may also affect dosing.

Last edited by CaliGirl; 11-07-2009 at 06:22 AM.

Old 11-07-2009, 02:01 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Johna HB User

I have fibromyaliga and started taking lyrica in August 75mg x 2 daily and found that taking 150 mg in the morning and 150 mg at night help to control the pain.

My doctor has told me that my dosage can be increased if needed, but right now I am ok with it.

Take care!

Old 11-16-2009, 12:16 PM   #7
Veteran
(male)

CaliGirl and Johna,
Thank you for replying. I have a question to you, Right now you can use pain madicines to control the pain no matter how big the dosage is. I don't know your situation. but I like to to know if you think it is a solution and will no longer concern about surgery even you also have surgery option. I am worry about the side effect of medicines, but if I take it, I think
I have to take it forever.

Thanks!

Last edited by efang; 11-17-2009 at 06:35 AM.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:22 AM   #8
(male)

Bradd53 HB User

I would be a little cautious of Lyrica. In my case, it didn't really help my lumbar back pain all that much, but I think it may have given me dyslexia after I increased the dosage up to 300mg/day. Probably an extremely rare side effect, but still wish I had never taken it. Currently getting a good balance of pain relief vs. pain by taking approximately 5 darvocets a day...

Old 12-04-2009, 01:21 AM   #9
(male)

ssburgess HB User

Hearing the dosages people are on with their Lyrica is a bit surprising to me. By now, and for several years, I've been on 600MG total daily, 200MG three times a day for a couple of years now.

Granted, I have gained weight, and I (a 30 year old man) was diagnosed with Osteoporosis as a result of a combination of all of my anti-spasmodic medications...

Old 12-04-2009, 06:45 AM   #10
Veteran
(male)

I have two opinions here , I don't know which one is correct.
1) My surgeon have gave to me to use 75mg /twice a day for one and half month. it didn't help my leg pain at all, He asked me to stop using it because he think if it can help, even 75 mg I should felt something different. If not, Increasing dosage doesn't make any sense.
2) My Pain management doctor said, medicines’ effect can be happened suddenly. Sometime she increases dosage until one point , the patient’s pain disappear but didn’t felt different before using this dosage.
Bradd53 : Would you please tell me your pain rate ( code)? I am going to ask if I can try darvocet.

Last edited by efang; 12-04-2009 at 07:00 AM.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:49 AM   #11
Veteran
(male)

I have a new question, if the pain medication is only good for the unbearable pain not good for moderate pain?
For example , if your pain scale is going down from 9 to 6 after you take medication, obviously this medication can help. But if the pain scale is 5, you are not able to feel the pain do down to 4 or 3 because the different is too small
to feel.

Thanks!

Old 05-24-2010, 10:50 AM   #12
Veteran
(male)

My pain management doctor wants me to use Lyrica again no matter I used it
before and looks like didn't get help.She asked me to use 75mg twice a day and said the max dosage for me is 300 mg a day .I asked if any side effect. She said no need worry about. I don't know why she doesn't let me try another nerve pain medications.

Thanks!

Last edited by efang; 05-24-2010 at 10:51 AM.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:30 PM   #13
(male)

ssburgess HB User

It really depends on the doctor. I'm on one of the max dosages ANY doctor would want their patients on of 600mg TOTAL in one day for Lyrica, 1800mg of Gabapentin (an older, similar, drug to Lyrica) and 60mg of Baclofen to control my pain. They all work to control my pain, and I don't have to take pain meds much if any. The closest is an Ibuproferen or Tylenol for headaches, aches, and minor pains.

Lyrica does have some mild, but tolerable, side effects. Dry mouth, headache and the sensation of needing to urinate (or even frequent urination) are the ones I had. They dissipated, or went away. I stopped having urinary frequency soon after taking it, and headaches are gone. BUT, I still have dry mouth.

Just take it slow and safe, and see how it works for you. After four years of nerve pain due to a virus (mononucleosis), I'm actually starting to feel better and plan on slowly (with my doctor's help) weening down a bit. Due to the medications I take, and dosages, I developed osteoporosis from them. It is a RARE complication and you have to be on a HIGH level like I am.

Last edited by Administrator; 09-14-2011 at 06:44 PM.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:39 PM   #14
Veteran
(male)

If you can tell me how change the dosage and how long I should try the each
dosage level? For example , If I try 75 mg twice a day for two weeks and
it doesn't help me. should I continue take in this level or increase the dosage? I had used 75 mg twice a day for 6 weeks and didn't feel better.but I did increase dosage at that time because the neuro surgeon said if 150mg doesn't help at all , increasing will become no seuse. But I don't understand why other doctor asks patient to increase the dosage even small dosate doesn't help.

Thanks!

Old 08-21-2010, 09:53 AM   #15
(female)

xixichang HB User

I don't know if you already have tried 200mg /day and how are you right now?

Closed Thread