It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2009, 07:18 PM   #1
(female)

noel07 HB User
Bilateral Pars Defect in L5 Without Any Fracture. Isn't This Contradicting Info??

Hi everyone, I have been having pain in my hips, groin, lower back and pelvic area for a about 5 months now. I was recently sent for a lumbar spinal x-ray and just got the results back. I'm a bit confused though. Here's what the lab paper says:
[LIST][*]5 lumbar vertebral bodies are well aligned [U]without signs of fracture[/U]. [*][U]Bilateral pars defects seen in L5.[/U][*]Remaining pars interarticulari and pedicles are intact.[/LIST]
When the nurse's assistant called me to explain the results, she said that the doctor had written down that I had spondylosis (osteoarthritis of the spine). But according to the lab paper it says I have "bilateral pars defects seen in L5" which doesn't "pars defect" mean fracture? But I don't have a fracture. Wouldn't a "bilateral pars defect in L5" be due to spondylolysis (not spondylosis)? Wouldn't the lab slip from the radiologist say that I had spondylosis if I did or is this something the GP determines once they see the actual x-ray?

What's your take: spondylolysis or spondylosis or neither? My next step is an Orthopedist but my insurance sucks. If anyone could shed some light on these results, I would greatly appreciate it.

Old 11-16-2009, 07:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

megss HB User
Re: Bilateral Pars Defect in L5 Without Any Fracture. Isn't This Contradicting Info?

I also thought a pars defect meant fracture. I had a fracture at L5 and had Spondylolisthesis, where my L5 vertebrae was slipping out of place. They called the fracture a pars defect. I had a fusion 7 months ago and the surgeon completely removed a chunk of bone where the fracture was. It was fractured all the way off and that chunk of bone was out of place and pinching my sciatic nerve.
I have no idea why it would say you have a pars defect if there is no fracture. Maybe there are different types of pars defects?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2009, 08:06 PM   #3
(female)

noel07 HB User
Re: Bilateral Pars Defect in L5 Without Any Fracture. Isn't This Contradicting Info?

Thanks for your input! I was thinking the same thing that there are possibly other forms of defects but I can't seem to find any online. I'm trying to find if it is Spondylosis causes defects since this is what the nurse said I had. I keep getting referred to Spondylolysis though which means fracture as far as I know...

Old 04-22-2010, 07:52 PM   #4
(male)

PTwithAxialif HB User

Sounds like an error somewhere since a Pars Defect is a fracture of the pars most often seen at L5 causing Spondylolysis which can lead to a slippage of the vertebrae known as Spondylolisthesis. However I suppose the fracture may have healed resulting in a defect but no visible fracture.
Spondylosis is an arthritic condition affecting the posterior structures of the spine most often affecting the elderly.

Call the MD for clarification.

Last edited by PTwithAxialif; 04-22-2010 at 07:59 PM.

Closed Thread