It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2009, 02:23 AM   #1
(male)

mintedjo HB User
Acute back pain from coughing

I had a sinus and chest infection that started almost 3 weeks ago and seems to have almost completely subsided now but I've knackered something in my back by coughing.
It hurts a little bit all the time except for when I lie down flat. I still have a bit of a cough from the chest infection and when I cough or laugh it hurts like ******. I don't know if it's just me being a big pansy or whatever but I'm becoming scared of coughing because it hurts so much. It's about 2 weeks since it started hurting. It's hurting now while I'm sat at the computer which is why I'm posting this. I need to do something about it so I can get some of my work done. At the moment I can't sit at a computer or get comfortable enough to read books or anything so my university work is just piling up on top of the 2 full weeks of stuff I've already missed.
Hot baths help a bit but theres always still some pain afterwards and I tend to find myself in bed a lot after them and that leads to me being asleep which is unproductive and makes my back hurt more when I wake up. I'm already taking 2x200mg Ibuprofen every 4 hours or so to ease the pain but it doesnt do much. I was taking 2x500mg Paracetamol every 4 hours as well but just ran out. I think its probably just a muscle strain because if I can keep my back arched backwards when I cough it doesnt hurt so much. If I happen to lean over as I cough, which I often do, then I feel like crying. I can't twist my back either... dunno if that matters. x-)
Any advice on how to make it hurt less or how to make it get better faster?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2009, 05:01 AM   #2
(female)

lilac100 HB Userlilac100 HB User
Re: Acute back pain from coughing

I tore a muscle and broke a rib once coughing. Very painful. I lived in a hot shower for a week and got a prescription for painkillers and muscle relaxers. I went to the ER after the first day or two. It got where I couldn't stand up at all without the muscles cramping up. You should probably have a doctor check it just in case because it could actually turn out to be pnuemonia which causes back pain also.

Old 11-29-2009, 05:25 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

almonkey HB User

If it is muscular, a chiropractor can do wonders for you. I agree that you should probably get checked out by a doc in case it has become pnemonia or pleurisy.

Try icing your back for 20 minutes a couple times a day. If it is muscular, that should help reduce swelling too.

Old 11-29-2009, 04:36 PM   #4
(male)

mintedjo HB User

Thanks for those replies. I just read wiki to tha pedia and the nhs website about pleurisy and other causes of chest pain and coughing. There's a lot of scary stuff that I just hadn't considered. I hope its just a muscle strain! x-D

Last edited by mintedjo; 11-29-2009 at 04:51 PM.

Closed Thread