It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2009, 04:39 PM   #1
(male)

Cowpin8 HB User
Question about L/5 area with severe pain

A recent MRI showed that my L5-L6 disc is 80% gone. In other words I only have about 20-25% of the disc left. I have no herniations. The other lumbar discs looked good. I do have sharp, severe, and sudden lower back pain depending on what I am doing. Has anyone had this condition? I am a weightlifter and this pain is destroying my life right now. Is surgery the only way to fix this? I have had lumbar epidurals and they did help a lot! But they only lasted for 1 month. I cannot bend or lean forward without severe pain. Any info or experiences would be appreciated. I already had an L4/5 microdiskectomy and laminectomy 8 years ago. But that level is fine. One final note...Most people have L/5-S/1 vertebra. I actually have a very rare condition where I have an L/6 vertebra and not an S/1 vertebra. The surgeon said it simply means that my S/1 vertebra is more similiar to a lumbar vertebra than a sacral vertebra. Whatever that means??? But it is very rare he said.
[B][I][U]Thanks, Joe.[/U][/I][/B]

Old 12-29-2009, 07:28 PM   #2
(male)

sookiepooka HB User
Re: Question about L/5 area with severe pain

Joe,
I am not familiar with your condition, loss of disc. But I too only had temporary relief from the epiderals. Get as much info as you can. And get multiple options from doctor/surgeons before making any decisions. I'm sure there are others here that may have experience with a similiar situation as your. I wish you luck and a speedy recovery.

SP

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2012, 09:35 PM   #3
(female)

Krystalyn HB User
Smile Re: Question about L/5 area with severe pain

[QUOTE=Cowpin8;4151919]A recent MRI showed that my L5-L6 disc is 80% gone. In other words I only have about 20-25% of the disc left. I have no herniations. The other lumbar discs looked good. I do have sharp, severe, and sudden lower back pain depending on what I am doing. Has anyone had this condition? I am a weightlifter and this pain is destroying my life right now. Is surgery the only way to fix this? I have had lumbar epidurals and they did help a lot! But they only lasted for 1 month. I cannot bend or lean forward without severe pain. Any info or experiences would be appreciated. I already had an L4/5 microdiskectomy and laminectomy 8 years ago. But that level is fine. One final note...Most people have L/5-S/1 vertebra. I actually have a very rare condition where I have an L/6 vertebra and not an S/1 vertebra. The surgeon said it simply means that my S/1 vertebra is more similiar to a lumbar vertebra than a sacral vertebra. Whatever that means??? But it is very rare he said.
[B][I][U]Thanks, Joe.[/U][/I][/B][/QUOTE]

Hi, Joe! I read your post and just wanted to share some information that I have learned concerning the L6 vertebra. It's called Bertolotti's syndrome. They say it is rare, but I believe more people have it than they know, since it is often not diagnosed or just called a transitional vertebrae. I have had low back pain for 20 years of my 44 years of life only to learn recently from an orthopedic trauma doctor that it is a congenital defect called Bertolotti's syndrome. You may want to do an internet search on the topic to learn more. Hope that helps!

Closed Thread