It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2010, 01:05 PM   #1
(male)

ZebPike HB User
why would my sits bones hurt?

why would my sits bones hurt? I am a runner, not a biker. I do sit on my butt all day at work, but I run at lunchtime and get up fairly often. I have always been very healthy and trim. Now, 42 and still running long distance, but begrudgingly today . . . Problem for at least a year. No back pain. Just sitting pain and the sits bones hurt while running too.

Old 01-03-2010, 04:53 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
Re: why would my sits bones hurt?

What bone are you referring to? There are a variety of bones involved in sitting from the sacrum to coccyx and the pelvis as well. And often the lumbar vertebrae can be where pain is when you sit.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2010, 05:52 PM   #3
(male)

ZebPike HB User

[QUOTE=SpineAZ;4155064]What bone are you referring to? There are a variety of bones involved in sitting from the sacrum to coccyx and the pelvis as well. And often the lumbar vertebrae can be where pain is when you sit.[/QUOTE]

Actually, by referring to the "sits bones", I am referring specifically to the ischial tuberosities. I believe I've figured it out though: Ischial Tuberosity Pain Syndrome
It doesn't respond to much in the way of PT, but prolotherapy sounds the most promising of all treatments.

Last edited by moderator2; 01-03-2010 at 07:08 PM. Reason: please do not post websites except as described in the Posting Policy

Old 01-03-2010, 06:05 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

You should see a doctor and start with x-rays and then possibly a referral to a Pain Management physician and/or Orthopedic Spine Surgeon. The OSS doesn't just do surgery as they can also suggest non surgical treatments as well.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:17 PM   #5
(male)

Dclark99 HB UserDclark99 HB User

ZebPike...here is my story. Hopefully this might help you.

For the past six years, the pain in my 'butt' got worse and worse. Essentially it would start hurting the moment I sat down and get worse and worse. Eventually I came to know the 'butt' as the ischial tuberosity...At first it was just annoying, but eventually it got so bad that I had to have a special memory foam pad that I carried around with me to sit on almost any chair. Finally it got so bad that I bought a special desk that I could raise up so I could work standing up...

For several years I was under the 'care' of two orthopedic surgeons (one for hip and one for back). They took x-rays, told me some nonsense about me having bone spurs, etc...and that there was basically nothing I could do except get cortisone shots every few months for the rest of my life (I am 38 and that didn't sound so great to me). I finally pushed them into prescribing physical therapy for me from a great sports therapist - he thought it had to do with either tight hamstrings putting pressure on the tendon at the ischial tuberosity or perhaps bursitis or maybe some sort of nerve problem. Unfortunately after three months of very detailed therapy, my therapist told me he didn't think it was helping and that physical therapy was unlikely to be my solution. I agreed, as any relief that I got was less than a 5% improvement in my pain...

That was when I had the breakthrough. I know this sounds crazy, but I went to see a chiropractor that a friend recommended (Dr. Thorne at Greenville Avenue Chiropractic in Dallas) and within 5 minutes of poking around at various pressure points he said 'I think all you need is some calcium'. Evidently, if you are calcium deficient, the blood will drain calcium from your bones and this can interfere with the ability of tendons to properly heal in the normal course of life. I actually felt a significant difference immediately after my first session with the chiropractor...probably a 50% improvement.

I have now been taking calcium pills (1500mg 2x per day of any brand of calcium citrate with vitamin D for absorption will do) for three weeks and had three sessions with the chiropractor. I would say I am now 80% improved with constant improvement...if I never got any better I would be fine just three weeks ago I was worried about my future. However, I believe that over time as the body absorbs the calcium that I am taking my pain will be gone entirely.

Literally this has been like a miracle for me. At a minimum try the calcium and if you are so inclined, find a good chiropractor to go to as well. I don't know if the calcium would have done the trick or not without the chiropractor, but regardless this is what happened to me. I can tell you with confidence that the typical MD route will have nothing to offer for your pain. Good luck.

Closed Thread