It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2010, 02:55 PM   #1
(male)

hudson07 HB User
L5/S1 Partial Disectomy Surgery Recovery

I had a L5/S1 partial disectomy and laminectomy about 4 weeks ago. I've had back problems for the last two years despite all the traditional conservative care treatments. The first two weeks post-op were pretty rough. Significant sciatic pain (more than pre-surgery) as a result of the swelling and nerves being moved around. Third week was pretty much pain free. Saw surgeon and he thought I was doing well and started physical therapy. But the fourth week I began to have a bad back ache and some (not alot but some) sciatic pain. It hasn't gone away in over a week. I'm still going to physical therapy. Go back to the surgeron in 2 weeks for a final follow-up.

What were other folks recoveries like? Is it normal to have this kind bachache/pain 4 weeks after surgery? How long before you were "pain free"?I'm concerned that I may have reherniated the disc in that third pain-free week. Can a disc reherniate that easily?

Old 01-22-2010, 03:41 PM   #2
(male)

soCalman HB User
Re: L5/S1 Partial Disectomy Surgery Recovery

I had the same thing 10-20-09. Painful for a couple weeks, but progressively better. By the third week I was really feeling good (not pain free, but feeling stronger with almost no pain). Like an idiot, I lifted a saw in my garage. No problem, no pain while lifting, or for 36 hours after that. Having insomnia from coming off the pain meds, I slept on the floor in the family room so as not to disturb my wife with my tossing and turning. I woke up the next morning (36 hours after lifting saw) in severe pain that lasted for two weeks. I had Sciatica, and sharp pain jolting down my e back, down my leg. I have a desk job, but even that was very painful. Just driving my car was painful. I contacted the doctor. He ordered another MRI and X-rays. He said my spinal bones were misaligned when I moved, the bones would touch the nerve roots. He also said there was some new, minor herniation (S1-L5). These two things, along with scar tissue were causing the pain. He recommended Artificial Disc Replacement, or fusing. I am currently in less pain that those two weeks, but it doesn't take much to aggravate the nerves. I just finished recovering from a sciatic attack (lasted 3 days, bed ridden), and I almost always have constant pain in my left buttock, ham-string area (feels like a pulled hamstring), and calf. My insurance will not cover the ADR, so I am trying to find out if the PPO plan my company offers (from same company) will cover the ADR.

Whatever you do, please take it easy for 6 months.

Last edited by soCalman; 02-05-2010 at 03:26 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2010, 07:34 AM   #3
(female)

pecantan HB User

I too had the same type surgery - I'm having pain in the right leg now. It goes from the outside upper hip to the inner thigh down to my feet where it hurts so bad... My doctor gave me 300MG of NEURONTION 3x a day as need for pain. This does nothing... I see my dr. in 2wks. he requested x-rays to see what is going on. I hope this pain goes away soon. I thougt after the surgery I would be Pain Free... Question - When you lean forward do you feel pressure in the back?

Old 01-25-2010, 03:06 PM   #4
(male)

hudson07 HB User

I don't necessarily feel pressure when I lean forward but it does feel tight.

I'm 5 weeks post-op. Have had a few good days but more not so good days. Still have some pain/ache in the low back and some sciatic pain in the legs. The pain in the legs is not consistent. More right leg than left and seems to move around between the thigh, calf, and foot (ankle and outside of foot). Sometimes my ankle feels a little numb but it could be my imagination. I'm hoping the nerves are just continuing to heal but I suppose I could have reherniated it without really knowing it. I hope not because I hate the thought of going through this again or having to have a fusion.

I see the surgeon again in 3 weeks. Until then I'm continuing with the physical therapy (although with the ridicuously high copay I'll have to do that on my own for a bit).

Old 01-27-2010, 02:48 PM   #5
(male)

sookiepooka HB User

I am starting week three of my discectomy recovery and your first two weeks are exact to my my experience. I was told that the swelling takes a long time to go down. That why we continue to have the pain you describe. Is five weeks to much? Good question, everyone diferent. Take notes daily to help describe your symtoms to your surgeon for a better diagnosis and recovery plan. Maybe the physical therapy is aggravating nerves that arn't ready to be messed with. Good luck and please keep me up to date, since you have had the same procedure as me.

SP

Old 01-28-2010, 01:11 AM   #6
(female)

hopeless in abq HB User

[QUOTE=hudson07;4167457]I had a L5/S1 partial disectomy and laminectomy about 4 weeks ago. I've had back problems for the last two years despite all the traditional conservative care treatments. The first two weeks post-op were pretty rough. Significant sciatic pain (more than pre-surgery) as a result of the swelling and nerves being moved around. Third week was pretty much pain free. Saw surgeon and he thought I was doing well and started physical therapy. But the fourth week I began to have a bad back ache and some (not alot but some) sciatic pain. It hasn't gone away in over a week. I'm still going to physical therapy. Go back to the surgeron in 2 weeks for a final follow-up.

What were other folks recoveries like? Is it normal to have this kind bachache/pain 4 weeks after surgery? How long before you were "pain free"?I'm concerned that I may have reherniated the disc in that third pain-free week. Can a disc reherniate that easily?[/QUOTE]
Hudson, I had this kind of surgery in 1989 when I was 19. I'll have to be honest and tell you that it was a good thing that I lived at home with my parents because it took me at least 7 months to recover and a full year to be back to "normal". But, if it is any consolation, I was pain free for 10 years after the surgery before my back problems started up again. I now not only have herniations, but arthritis, spinal stenosis, and degenerative disc disease. It really saddens me to think about all of the problems and I know others have it much worse, but I really do wish you the best of luck and hope that your procedure was as successful as my first one was all those years ago. Best wishes!!

Old 01-28-2010, 10:03 AM   #7
(male)

soCalman HB User

I'm sure other people have had better success than we have had. I don't think people who had a good experience go looking for information on how others have faired, so this is what I would tell someone considering this surgery. Don't be scared by what you see here. Find out how many people where happy they had the surgery too. On that note, if I had to do it over, I would have waited longer, and tried more conservative approaches to minimize the pain, even though I did have two very bad sciatic attaks before I decided to have the surgery.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:16 AM   #8
(female)

hopeless in abq HB User

I wanted to add to my first quote to Hudson. I would like to tell you that I definately would go through this surgery again. I feel it was a great, great success! Yes, the recovery was quite difficult (I think I am somewhat of a slow healer), but as I said 10 years pain free! This was definately worth it, yes I do have more problems now, more than just one surgery can help, but if I had the opportunity to fix one problem I would definately go for it. Just hang in there and do take it easy, I think that physical therapy can hurt sometimes more than it helps.

Old 02-01-2010, 04:44 PM   #9
(male)

hudson07 HB User

Update for those following along... Now six weeks post-op. Nagging back ache is gone but foot pain (sciatic) has returned. Generally only hurts when laying down and is quite uncomfortable. Continuing with the physical therapy myself (at-home exercises). Also working full-time again. Sitting has gotten much better for the most part. Try and get up and walk around every half-hour or so with 3 longer walks during the day. Follow-up doctor's appointment in 2 weeks.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:59 AM   #10
(male)

sookiepooka HB User

Hudson,
Thank you for the update. I am 3 weeks post-op from a L4/5 micro-discectomy and I am having a similiar experience as you with my recovery. It was comforting to know you were having the same issues. It made me not freak out so much. Thanks and good luck!!!
Sookiepooka

Old 02-05-2010, 03:38 PM   #11
(male)

soCalman HB User
Update, 14 wks out from L5/S1 Partial Disectomy Surgery Recovery

I am about 14 weeks out, and haven't been taking any pain medication other than occasional Ibuprophin (800Mg), which I use to take the edge off. It doesn't stop all the pain, but it seems to help a little. I've been in this mode for about the last 3 weeks. I am uncomfortable in bed and can only sleep on my back, my stomach with left leg bent (no pillow), or on my left side. It gets uncomfortable on my back, and changing positions can often cause pain. I have almost constant pain in my left buttock, hamstring area, and sometimes in my calf. My back gets stiff easily, and sometimes has sharp pains when I move it. I can't do anything physical or else I will pay for it with increased pain (sometimes the reaction is delayed 24 or more hours). Even standing or walking, especially for moderate times, will cause the pain to increase.

Old 02-10-2010, 03:32 PM   #12
(male)

soCalman HB User

I have suffered a flair-up today (wednesday). I got up like normal, went to work, then about an hour later after getting up to pick up a print out, I noticed I was sore, even sitting down. I was able to squirm in my chair for a couple hours, but had to go home later because I couldn't walk without severe pain, or sit at my desk without pain.

What caused this? I can only say that yesterday, I was standing a little more than I wanted to during a couple hours at a grand opening of one of our locations. I did sit down during this time intermittently. I also spent about 2.5 hours driving. On Sunday (three days ago) I painted a door. It was on saw horses, and so I didn't strain, but the simple strain of standing more than I should have I think caused my flair up. This seems to be a pattern with my condition. If I do too much (standing for too long is too much) I can be vulnerable to flair ups of pain that cause me to have to stay laying down for a couple days to make it go away. Does anyone else have this condition?

Old 02-11-2010, 01:38 PM   #13
(female)

pecantan HB User

unfortunately - I've been experencing the same pain. I have not yet returned to work, but I noticed when I sit for long periods of time and standing too long or even walking around I am in pain.
My family feels I'm rushing to get back to work. I've been out since the date of my surgery 12/28/09 I'm not sure what the time frame is - I'm sure different for each person. I don't know why I'm still feelin this kind of pain. I'm schedule to see my surgeon tomorrow. My Doctor ordered some X-rays see what happens.
Are you on Neurontin? My doctor gave it to me but don't really work. How long were you out from work?

Old 02-12-2010, 06:26 AM   #14
(male)

soCalman HB User

[QUOTE=pecantan;4183659]unfortunately - I've been experencing the same pain. I have not yet returned to work, but I noticed when I sit for long periods of time and standing too long or even walking around I am in pain.
My family feels I'm rushing to get back to work. I've been out since the date of my surgery 12/28/09 I'm not sure what the time frame is - I'm sure different for each person. I don't know why I'm still feelin this kind of pain. I'm schedule to see my surgeon tomorrow. My Doctor ordered some X-rays see what happens.
Are you on Neurontin? My doctor gave it to me but don't really work. How long were you out from work?[/QUOTE]

For minimally invasive Microdisectomy, a recovery period of a couple weeks should me more than sufficient to return to a desk job. For physical activity, my neurosurgeon told me recovery would be 6 weeks. Obviously, I've had complications and am in lots of pain. I have taken Hydracodone (also known as Norco, and Vicodan) off and on (mostly off because I hate the side effects and "withdrawl" effects). I've been using 800mg of Ibuprophin and an occasional Soma (which is a muscle relaxer).

Did you lift anything after the surgery? Pain from activity can be delayed up to 48 hours so keep that in mind. I would suggest that you do not stand for prolonged periods, and limit your walking, bending and all physical activity. I know it sucks to restrain from doing things, but in my case I can see a direct correlation in the pain I experience and the level of activity I do. That said, the pain hardly ever (if ever...hard to remember) goes away completely, but it is very tolerable when I'm taking it easy. If I am taking it easy, I can sit without pain, sleep without pain, and walk with only a little. If I don't take it easy, I can have pain in most any position.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:29 AM   #15
(male)

sookiepooka HB User

I'm four weeks post-opt from a micro Didcectomy on L4/5. Ditto to what SoCalman said. I went back to a desk job at 2 weeks. My pain has gotten better every week. I just trying to taper down on the meds to get off them completely for the same reason soCalman said. Hey soCalman maybe we are the same person (HA). At least I know my recovery has been pretty typicalk. It sounds like maybe you (pecantan) re-injured yourself. Good luck on your follow up. I hope you start to get some relief and take it easy! Don't overdo it. That is the biggest mistake I was told to NOT do even if I was feeling pretty good after surgery.

Closed Thread