It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2010, 06:06 AM   #1
(female)

jdsun HB User
Sciatic Back pain from my Ovary all along????

I haven't posted here in a while because I have been going through some female problems. Well, now that all of that is taken care of, my sciatic pain is almost gone!!!

Let me recap on my issues: I've had 2 microdiscectomies on L5-S1 because of large disc herniations. As a result, I was left with very bad nerve damage. My right buttocks and down the back of my right thigh is still numb. I've had many MANY tests and all show that there is nothing touching my nerves (nothing structural in the back). The only test that showed anything was an EMG. It showed I did have lots of nerve activity (damage) on that level.

I have been seeing a Pain Management doctor and been on several medications to help ease my daily pain. In September I had major surgery on my female parts. I had a hysterectomy where they removed my uterus and cervix, fixed my prolapses, and put in a bladder sling. I was hoping this might ease some of my sciatic pain, but unfortunately it did not. I was still suffering the same pain as before the surgery.

Well, in December (3 months after the first surgery), I started having very bad pains in my lower right side and back. I thought it was back related, sine it was on my "bad" side. After 2 ER visits and multiple doctor visits, we discovered the pain was from a cyst on my ovary. It was twisting my ovary...causing the pain. So, I had another surgery 3 weeks ago to remove my right ovary and tube. Pain was immediately gone.

Here comes the interesting part.....my back/sciatic pain has been reduced dramatically! I am still very hesitant to even write this for fear of jinxing myself. But seriously, I have reduced my pain pills and am feeling the best I have in 3 years. The only other thing I can contribute this to is my doctor did increase my Long-Acting Pain medication a bit, a couple months ago. But I don't think this is what is taking away my pain. It was only increased a tad, and I was still taking lots of break-through medications daily. Now, I only am taking 2 break through pills per day. Mostly because if I don't take them, I start feeling ill.

Thank you if you've read this far! Could it be possible that my ovary was causing a lot of my sciatic pain?

Jdsun

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2010, 10:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

megss HB User
Re: Sciatic Back pain from my Ovary all along????

Wow! What a story! I guess it could be possible, I don't know how (because I am not a doctor), but if your sciatic is gone after the surgery than it could be! What do your doctors say about this? But you mentioned that you are still taking pain meds. IS that for your recent surgery or still related to you back?

One thing you mentioned at first is that your MRI showed no nerve compression. MRI's and CT's don't always show everything. My MRI showed no nerve compression and all my doctors (saw a few for different opinions) thought my leg pain was referred pain or pain in my head. That really ****** me off. After my first fusion, it turned out that I DID have a major nerve compression. I had a fracture at L5. The bone was completely broken off my spine and laying on my sciatic nerve. And the MRI and CT didn't show that.

Let me know if you find out more info about having your ovary removed and getting rid of your sciatic.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:13 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB User
Thumbs up Re: Sciatic Back pain from my Ovary all along????

That's great. I'm happy to hear your pain is reduced so dramatically. It sounds like you've gone through a lot and it is terrific that you've been able to reduce your break-through medication by so much.

Keep us posted on how you're doing!

~ Fiona Jo

Old 02-01-2010, 04:21 AM   #4
(female)

jdsun HB User

Megss-
I am still takng my long term medication and a couple of my short acting pain pills. I am very hesitant to stop the long acting meds without discussing things with my doctor. Also, this is so new that i am afraid I will wake up and the pain will be back! The pain is not 100% gone, but it has been reduced dramatically. Again, it seems to have been reduced after my ovary removal surgery...weird. I have heard so many stories like yours about films showing no nerve compression, yet when they finally go in there, they find something major. I have had over 7 consults with orthopedic/neurosurgeons and they all tell me something would have showed on the scans. The say the chances are so small and there is much more risk of damage from an exploratory surgery. This thought has always been in the back of my mind haunting me. What if there is something there that can be fixed and I am walking around the rest of my life in so much pain!

Fiona- Thanks! I will keep you updated on how things go. Right now I am so scared to even think that my pain really has been reduced. It is not completely gone, but it has definitely been dramatically reduced. I used to never had to look at a clock before. As soon as my pain meds were wearing off, my pain would start climbing and I would know what time it was. Also, even wtih the pain meds, I was very limited to what I could do. Even the simple act of going shopping would be enough to make me have to go home and lie down for a bit. Now, it appears that I can go about my day with my long term mediation and a couple short acting meds and feel very very iittle pain. Again, I am so scared to even think this is for real because I have been living in such pain for over 5 years. We just bought a new minivan so I could lie down in the back for longer car trips! This weekend, I drove over an hour in the front passenger seat and was completely fine!

I am going to wait a bit longer and see if this pain reduction is for real or not. I don't want to put myself through major withdrawals if I don't have to. Like I said, I am just so afraid that this is a fluke and the pain will come back at any moment. I will see where I am next month and discuss things with my doctor.

I am really praying that the ovary was causing the brunt of my pain. I know I have damage to my nerves because my buttocks and thigh are still as numb as the day my disc went. But I am hoping that damage is mostly numbess and not the severe pain I have been living in for the past 5 yrs.

Thanks for listening to my story guys.
jdsun

Old 02-01-2010, 05:26 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Hi there, Through my own experiance I want to say yes, but like everyone else here Im no doctor. I have cervical pain (had one fusion) & lumbar hernations. My back pain was increasing around my cycles, since I was having 2 cycles per month this was getting out of hand. My GP found a rather large ovarian cyst & said she had no doubt this along with my cycles was increasing my back pain. I was sent to a gynos & he agreed.
The cyst has shrunk & my pain decreased. I had a procedure done to reduce or stop the bleeding (if Im lucky) in hopes that would also help reduce my back pain.
I will be going back for another ultra sound to see if check the size of the cyst in march. I can say more severe pain radiated down my buttock, thigh & hip when the ovarin cyst was enlarged.

I would bring this up to your doctor & see whats said but I imagine time will tell also. I do hope your relief continues. Sammy

Old 02-02-2010, 09:36 PM   #6
(female)

Terry45 HB User

[QUOTE=jdsun;4175069]I haven't posted here in a while because I have been going through some female problems. Well, now that all of that is taken care of, my sciatic pain is almost gone!!!

Let me recap on my issues: I've had 2 microdiscectomies on L5-S1 because of large disc herniations. As a result, I was left with very bad nerve damage. My right buttocks and down the back of my right thigh is still numb. I've had many MANY tests and all show that there is nothing touching my nerves (nothing structural in the back). The only test that showed anything was an EMG. It showed I did have lots of nerve activity (damage) on that level.

I have been seeing a Pain Management doctor and been on several medications to help ease my daily pain. In September I had major surgery on my female parts. I had a hysterectomy where they removed my uterus and cervix, fixed my prolapses, and put in a bladder sling. I was hoping this might ease some of my sciatic pain, but unfortunately it did not. I was still suffering the same pain as before the surgery.

Well, in December (3 months after the first surgery), I started having very bad pains in my lower right side and back. I thought it was back related, sine it was on my "bad" side. After 2 ER visits and multiple doctor visits, we discovered the pain was from a cyst on my ovary. It was twisting my ovary...causing the pain. So, I had another surgery 3 weeks ago to remove my right ovary and tube. Pain was immediately gone.

Here comes the interesting part.....my back/sciatic pain has been reduced dramatically! I am still very hesitant to even write this for fear of jinxing myself. But seriously, I have reduced my pain pills and am feeling the best I have in 3 years. The only other thing I can contribute this to is my doctor did increase my Long-Acting Pain medication a bit, a couple months ago. But I don't think this is what is taking away my pain. It was only increased a tad, and I was still taking lots of break-through medications daily. Now, I only am taking 2 break through pills per day. Mostly because if I don't take them, I start feeling ill.

Thank you if you've read this far! Could it be possible that my ovary was causing a lot of my sciatic pain?

Jdsun[/QUOTE]

That is very interesting about the sciatic nerve. I too have had some problems with numbing in the buttock down the left leg to the knee. I am set for a LSH hysterectomy with the bladder sling as well. I have decided with so many years of endometriosis and not knowing what condition the ovaries are in I will have them removed while he is in there and laser the implants by the endo. I have had a problem hemmoraging cyst for a few months. I had piraformous muscle injected 2 times and that was only a temporary relief but the numbing returns. My surgery is Feb 4 in less that 2 days and I am very scared. I know it is the right move.

This is what led to the decision for surgery. I had bled 3 weeks black and then period was heavy for 2 weeks with blood clots. After I just kept bleeding they did a vaginal ultrasound and the lining was at 14mm should be 4 to 8. Did the d&c but did bleed again. I still have the numbing. Your post is encouraging that maybe it is the left ovary cyst is the problem all along. Even though the biopsy on the uterus was non cancerous the bleeding is unbearable. Will post after I have the surgery.
Terry45

Closed Thread