It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2010, 02:23 PM   #16
(female)

Kelliew HB User
Re: L5 S1 Fusion in 5 days just a little bit scared!!!

Oh man i cant wait till monday so i can call my doc i am getting no relife from the meds he sent me home with all i can do is try to sleep it just hurts sooo much i know this was gonna hurt but i was also told that i would go home with meds that would help i just want to cry all the time i did try to page the doc twice yesterday but that did not seem to work anyway gotta go hurts too much to sit up. =(

Old 02-21-2010, 02:58 PM   #17
Senior Veteran
(female)

Linda_in_NJ HB User

Good Luck tomorrow. Just think a few hard days after surgery then it's all down hill. Feel better. Linda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2010, 04:13 PM   #18
(male)

soCalman HB User

Hi Kellie,

I hope you are recovering from your fusion surgery. Please keep us all informed on how your recovery goes. My pain is getting worse, and I am getting desparate to do something to relieve myself. I'm waiting to see if my appeal is approved by my insurance for ADR. If they deny it, I may see if I can sign up for a policy that will cover it, or just get Fusion.

Hope you are doing well.

David

Old 02-21-2010, 07:04 PM   #19
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

Hi Kellie!
I'm sorry I didn't see your post before your surgery, but I'm glad Meg found it. She's a good one to talk with on here, since she's just had her surgery so recently.

I was given a 10 minute sitting restriction for the first couple of weeks. I'm not at all surprised that it's hard for you to sit up for very long. It was easier to walk around than to sit for me. And walking is essential to get bone growth going in your fusion area. It gets the blood circulating, which is vital to stimulate bone growth. Whenever I got up to use the bathroom, I took advantage of already being up, since it was so hard to get up and down from bed, and walked, walked, walked for as long as I could tolerate. At first, it was only for 10 minutes. I gradually added onto that, sometimes only a minute or two a day, but I did what I could. I had to use a walker, since my blood pressure went low from the anesthesia and I was prone to blacking out. it was a pain in the neck, but it was for my own safety. I about wore a big ol' figure 8 in the bedroom carpet with my walking!

My last fusion was 3 years ago and I don't regret it for a second! If I had to make the decision all over again knowing now what I didn't know then, I'd still have the surgery. It's a long recovery, but it'll be worth it! Just do everything in your power to promote a good fusion: eat healthy, walk, rest, walk, don't smoke, walk, don't take NSAID pain relievers, and walk. Also, be sure to walk as much as you're able.

I hope you'll start feeling a bit better soon. I know how hard those first few weeks are, but even though you're in a lot of pain, please know that it's normal, even with pain meds. The pain meds should make it manageable, but they probably won't eliminate it. Watch a lot of movies to help distract yourself from the pain.

Please let us know how you're doing.

Take care,
Emily

Last edited by BlueAtlas; 02-21-2010 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Emily can't spel today.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:39 PM   #20
(female)

Kelliew HB User

Well i called on monday and he was in surgery but got back to me later in the day he called in a scrip for Valium could not belive it i get the mucle relaxer of it but monday night and tuesday morning they did nothing for the pain.

So i called again on tuesday afternoon and he wanted to see me today so i went in and he gave me a scrip for percocet 10/325 i have never takin them before so i really hope they work i took one earlier and i cant say they did much more for me might try to take two see how that goes but i will call my doc and talk to him about it too see what he has to say. thats it for now still in aot of pain right now so am gonna go ttyl...Kellie

Old 02-26-2010, 06:24 PM   #21
(male)

qbforeva HB User

hey Kellie, hope you are feeling better, to be going through 3 back surgery is brave.....I have L5 S1 herniation as well since Jan 2008 (car accident at work).....with P/T the pain is on and off. This winter is the worst winter of my life im seriously considering surgery (discectomy) at this point. Keep us up to date with your condition.
Take Care

Old 02-28-2010, 10:40 AM   #22
(female)

Kelliew HB User

Hey all been a tough week seems like it has been a month but nope just under two weeks, meds have been helping alot more now that the doc figured them out. I do have one question for anyone who has an answer what is the best position to sleep in seem like i can fall asleep but i wake up every morning between 1am and 3am and in so much pain that i just have to walkfor about half hour maybe this is normal for me but just wondering if is me or does anyone else have to do the same, Thanks....Kellie

Old 02-28-2010, 04:43 PM   #23
(female)

back2emt HB User

Hi Kellie I understand your fear. I had the exact same fear as u. However my situation is slightly different in the I have had 2 disectomys at L5-S1 since Sept. The last one was on Jan 27th. Then on Feb 1 I ended up back in the hospital and had to have the fusion performed. I am only 4 weeks post-op but I can already tell a difference. The pain in my legs is finally gone. It did take about 3 weeks after surgery though. Now the only pain, which is more of an uncomfortable feeling, is from the surgery itself.

I do recommend the toilet seat riser and a grabber. Nobody mentioned these things to me before, and I wish they had. It is terrbily hard to get on and off the toilet. Luckily the bathroom I do use has handles, but no riser. And I can't tell you how many times you are going to drop something, and need to pick it up. So do yourself a favor and go buy these essential items. Learn rom my mistakes, otherwise life will be hard.

As far as the period goes, this surgery also triggered mine to start 2 weeks early. I have no idea why, but it seems to be a popular thing. It either postpones it or makes it come early. Only time will tell with you.

Good luck and best wishes. Think positive, because I know how much the surgery has helped me.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:38 AM   #24
(female)

Kelliew HB User

Hello all,

Two weeks to the day since my surgery and my doc finally has my pain somewhat undercontrol so much better now than it has been, i know that i was told over and over how painful it was gonna be from people on this board and by my doc i guess i just did not think it was gonna be that bad BOY was i wrong. I do alot of walking around the house mostly in the middle of the night.

I dont know if i amsleeping in the wrong position or what but i have so much pain when i wake up all i can do is to get up and walk because it is just too soon to take more meds, soi justt wait and try to walk it off sometimes it workd and sometimes not.

So my question for the ones that have been through this how long does the worst of this pain last and is there a better position to sleep well that it or now very tired right now time for a nap i will check back later take care all...Kellie

Old 03-02-2010, 04:58 PM   #25
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

Every week you'll see a difference. My first really big turning point was at 3 months, but even before that I saw steady progress.

Sleeping can be really hard when you're in pain. I slept with a pillow between my knees and one in front of me to hold me up. I also put one behind me because I was afraid my hubby would accidentally bump into me and hurt me. It was a bit of a production getting myself all positioned with so many pillows, but it was worth it. I also made sure I carefully turned to each side and onto my back for part of the night so I wouldn't be so stiff. And definitely set the alarm to take your pain meds at night. Even if you have to wake up to take them, you'll be better off keeping it in your system for now.

Keep your chin up. The worst is over. It's only going to get better from here.

Blessings,
Emily

Old 03-03-2010, 09:52 AM   #26
Senior Veteran
(female)

janiee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB User

As far as the worst of the pain, for me it was the first two weeks. And you just went through that. Then, second worst is the next two weeks. So, just two more weeks, and the worst is behind you!!....janiee

Old 03-03-2010, 02:04 PM   #27
(female)

back2emt HB User

I actually started seeing a little difference at about 3 weeks. Not much, but I noticed I was not having to use a walker as much. I wish I could tell you more but I am only 4 weeks out myself.

As far as sleeping goes I will give you my little secret. The best investment I made was to buy from walmart. They have a 19.88 tempurpedic body pillow. IT has been the best thing. I was having a lot of trouble sleepin because of the pain myself. After the pillow arrived I have only had 1 bad night and that was the first one. The only reason that was so bad is because it takes 48 hours for the pillow to plump up fully. Trust me it worked very well for me. I tried just the regular pillows but I could never get them quite right. This pillow is designed for people with back problems.

Last edited by moderator2; 03-03-2010 at 02:35 PM. Reason: please do not post websites except as described in the Posting Policy

Old 03-03-2010, 11:26 PM   #28
(male)

soCalman HB User

I just got the word that my appeal for ADR was denied, so I am probably going to have to have L5-S1 fused. I hope I can return to pain-free active lifestyle after that.

I'm following everyones recovery with a lot of empathy for you all and interest since I will probably be following that road soon. Keep up the good work you have been doing in keeping us all up to date. Thanks.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:48 AM   #29
(female)

Kelliew HB User

Hi All,

Well its been 2 weeks and 2 days and the past 2 weeks have been rough mostly because my doc seemed to have a hard time finding the right pain meds if i left the hospital with a scrip for Percocet i think things would have been a little better, dont get me wrong i am still in alot of pain but the new meds help unlike the norco he sent me home with that was like taking advill and did not even touch the pain but now it is still there but they help to take the edge off i do have times during the day and at night that the pain is still pretty bad but it will be well worth it if this works.

I will not suger coat anything about this surgery and there were days before the pain was under control that i had said to myself and to my husbend that i wished i had not done this. As time passes and the pain is more under conrol i am much more confident with my decision. But do go into this knowing this is so much more painful than you think, i heard all the stories from posters on this board and from my doc but i truly thought i could handle it with no prob haha.Just make sure you have a talk with your doc about pain management after you leave the hospital, I had this talk and i cant tell you how ****** i was with my doc for making me try the other meds when i knew and so did he that they were not goin to work. Well i will check back in a few days take care everyone...Kellie P.S. soCalman keep you head up and let us know when your surgery is set

Old 03-04-2010, 04:55 PM   #30
Senior Veteran
(female)

janiee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB User

I just can't say how really shocked I am that so many people come home from a spinal fusion surgery with either no pain meds, or something less than the strength of oxycodone . It really is not the norm....janiee08

Last edited by janiee08; 03-04-2010 at 06:29 PM.

Closed Thread