It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2010, 08:13 PM   #1
(female)

mushroom2 HB User
Back pain and stomach pain

I have DDD and Spondy. I also have inflammation in my facet joints at L5-S1. I am being treated with prolotherapy. So far I have had 2 sessions. My questions is this. My stomach is swollen a lot and it is not from weight gain. I get nerve pain in my lower back that causes headaches. I asked my Dr. if back problems can cause stomach swelling and he said no. By the end of the day I am miserable. Has anyone with back problems had stomach problems also? I am at a loss as to what is going on. Just having back and nerve pain is enough. Any help is appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2010, 02:30 PM   #2
(female)

weaver02 HB Userweaver02 HB Userweaver02 HB User
Re: Back pain and stomach pain

maybe you have stomach problems that is causing back pain. I have Crohn's and it causes me to have back pain when my stomach bloats up and hurts really bad. sometimes my stomach hurts w/out the bloating and my back hurts still. Other stomach problems can cause back pain too, say like IBD. When your stomach bloats up it causes pressure on the back, it can be really painful or it can just hurt when your stomach hurts. Gallbladder problems can cause back pain too.

~Dot~

Hysterectomy
Appendectomy
Cholecystectomy
Sinus surgery
Tonsillectomy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2010, 11:51 AM   #3
(female)

mushroom2 HB User

[QUOTE=weaverfam02;4203408]maybe you have stomach problems that is causing back pain. I have Crohn's and it causes me to have back pain when my stomach bloats up and hurts really bad. sometimes my stomach hurts w/out the bloating and my back hurts still. Other stomach problems can cause back pain too, say like IBD. When your stomach bloats up it causes pressure on the back, it can be really painful or it can just hurt when your stomach hurts. Gallbladder problems can cause back pain too.

~Dot~[/QUOTE]

Old 03-14-2010, 11:53 AM   #4
(female)

mushroom2 HB User

I've never been tested for Chron's. Your right about 1 thing. When your stomach swells it does cause back pain. What do you do for Chron's disease? Is it the food you eat? My Dr. is out of town until April 15 so I have to wait until then. Thanks for your reply, it is very much appreciated.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:37 AM   #5
(male)

jack119 HB User

I can relate to you, I had my gallbladder removed and was diagnosed w/ IBS and now i have back pain all day everyday... not sure if it's my stomach or what.. what do you all take for the back pain?

Old 03-17-2010, 05:34 PM   #6
(female)

weaver02 HB Userweaver02 HB Userweaver02 HB User

Well it doesn't matter what I eat, my stomach and back always hurts. my doc has me on ultram, it's a type of pain med. I take it 3 times a day.

Hysterectomy
Appendectomy
Cholecystectomy
Sinus surgery
Tonsillectomy

Old 03-18-2010, 01:14 AM   #7
(male)

Myofascial Pain HB UserMyofascial Pain HB User

[QUOTE=weaverfam02;4203408]maybe you have stomach problems that is causing back pain. I have Crohn's and it causes me to have back pain when my stomach bloats up and hurts really bad. sometimes my stomach hurts w/out the bloating and my back hurts still. Other stomach problems can cause back pain too, say like IBD. When your stomach bloats up it causes pressure on the back, it can be really painful or it can just hurt when your stomach hurts. Gallbladder problems can cause back pain too.

~Dot~[/QUOTE]

I myself have ulcerative colitis, Crohn's is basically ulcerative colitis that isn't restricted to your colon but can effect any and/or all parts of your digestive system. My middle brother has Crohn's as well and my eldest brother has ulcerative colitis with a colostomy bag. So I suspect there is a genetic component to it.

Personally my doctors won't prescribe NSAIDs in any large dosages and I am limited to the Soma family of antibiotics as tricyclics will aggravate my UC. Stress in and of itself can cause stomach issues and will aggravate your back issues.

One of the things my doctor prescribed for me when I injured my knee and hip in a bicycle accident was an NSAID patch called Flector. Worked wonderful though there is no generic form of it, so it cost me $75 a box after insurance. Basically it passes the medication though the dermis instead of ingesting it.

So if your meds are causing stomach issues ask your doctor about alternate means of delivery like patches injections etc.

Also there is a thing called opiate induced constipation. So that can be painful as your bowel movements can become dense and compacted. Sometimes feels like you tore something during your bowel movement, and it actually can cause tearing and bleeding.

Everything seems to be interconnected especially when it comes to back issues. Even my respiratory system is effected by my back issues when it hurts to breathe. I've often had the thought "I'd rather not take a breath if I can avoid it, it hurts so bad."

~Myo

Closed Thread