It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2010, 01:24 PM   #1
(female)

kristinamacey HB User
Lightbulb neck crackling, neck pain, shoulder & arm pain

Hi, I've had neck and shoulder pain with pain radiating down one arm - for 5 months. There is also a crackling sound at the base of my head when I move my neck to look straight down. Does anyone have an idea of what this could be?? (though they could be different things I guess)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2010, 12:52 AM   #2
(male)

1Philfan HB User
Re: neck crackling, neck pain, shoulder & arm pain

hi,
as an early guess, sounds like the beginnings of disc/nerve damage in your neck.
any numbness in hand/fingers?

you may want to check the Spinal Cord Disorder board. Much more info on neck/arm related problems.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2010, 01:40 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

deeannek HB User
Re: neck crackling, neck pain, shoulder & arm pain

Oh I am the queen of this problem-lol at least since 2003. For me it feels like my neck gets stuck and after a huge scary pop it seems to be ok. I have also had numbness and tingling in my fingers and hands. And worst of all I was very klutsy-I dropped things all the time. I would pick up a dish and swear I had a good grip on it and it would just fall out of my hand. This progressed to the point that I had so much pain i that I couldn't sit for more than a few minutes at a time. I spent a lot of time on Doctor ordered bedrest.-I was seeing a neurologist at the time and he was very conservative and seemed to think bedrest cures all.This went on for months until finaly he sent me to a colleague of his a nuerosurgeon. The neurosurgeon took one look at my records and put me thru some hellish tests. You know the kind-it looks more like a field sobriety test than anything. Anyway he said for insurance reasons we would wait two weeks and then we would do fusion surgery. I was scared to death! But I went through with the surgery and recovered within 6 weeks. I had my mobility back and was very happy-then 2 years later the lumbar spine got bad but thats a story for another day. I still have some trouble with my neck but Steroid shots and prolotherapy have been very helpful for me when the popping and numbness return. If I were you I would start with either steroid shots or prolotherapy if your doc performs it. If you need this surgery-this one isn't too bad and recovery was quick. As I said the lumbar version is a whole different thing at least that was my experience.Good Luck! I hope you find relief soon!
DEE

Last edited by deeannek; 03-18-2010 at 01:43 AM.

Closed Thread