It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2010, 06:59 PM   #1
(male)

TPcity HB User
Back Injection are painful. Don't let them tell you they are not

I need to have soaking cold towels and ice around my head and 2 very nice nurses to get me to realax and cool down. 2nd injection and wil be my last. My surgeon is all business, but the nurses are geat. Surgeon really gave it to me today.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:55 PM   #2
(male)

TPcity HB User
Re: Back Injection are painful. Don't let them tell you they are not

...not so scare anyone, but if your going to have an injection, I can tell you the beez neez

Last edited by TPcity; 03-19-2010 at 09:55 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2010, 10:10 PM   #3
(female)

nosaints HB User

Are the shots helping?

Old 03-19-2010, 10:28 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Injections need not be as traumatic. Both Pain Management doctors I have used utilize light IV sedation during the injection and then inject pain medications immediately after. Because of the versed used in the IV for conscious sedation I have never felt the back injections at all (or if I have the versed allowed me to not be aware).

And there are some people who choose not do sedation and do quite well. Not me, sedation all the way.

Old 03-19-2010, 11:58 PM   #5
(male)

TPcity HB User

Yes. I think you are right. I'm done with the shots though. I probably need sedation. Just wish the surgeon who injects has as good as understanding as the nurses, that this is painfull to some people. This time I warned them. Felt like they soaked me down with a hose. Again, thanks to the nurses.

Old 03-20-2010, 12:02 AM   #6
(male)

TPcity HB User

Trust me one one thing. Back injections will be painfull. Sorry. Hope they don't mind swearing. I guess not.

Old 03-20-2010, 01:52 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

allanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB User

I have had as many as about 100 injections in my back L4-L5 7 L5-S1 facet joints and also L5 nerve root. I have learned to relax as much as I can (not easy) but if you tense up it only makes it worse. The worst is the initial jab and if any hits the nerve you get nerve pain. The nerve root block injections where the worst but the one that bothered me was when the doctor had to reposition the needle under CT guidance, a few times to get it right along side of the nerve that was already compressed by the vertebrae. They tend also to be worse if you are already in a lot of pain. I am going to discontinue any injections because my testosterone has been very low and also I am concerned about how much cortisone is being placed around the bone, as I have been told to avoid that. Allan

Old 03-20-2010, 03:07 PM   #8
(female)

Pheasmom HB User

My Pain Management doctor always sedates me just long enough to get the injection so I never feel any pain. I'm awaken a few minutes later. About 25 years ago a doctor gave me an injection similar to yours and I've never forgot it. Sounds like its time to find a new doctor. Try a Pain Management doctor.

Old 03-20-2010, 03:53 PM   #9
(female)

rose4me HB Userrose4me HB User

Seriously - look for a new pain management doc. I had three cervical ESI's - I was sedated for all three - had excrutiating back spasms for two weeks from the second one - they did the third shot a bit different (not really sure - since I was sedated) but - I did not hurt afterwards. Just was a bit sleepy.
Rose

The following user gives a hug of support to rose4me:
weitz (03-03-2011)
Old 03-20-2010, 04:37 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

allanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB User

You guys are lucky my doctors have never even suggested sedation. I just grin and bear it. Though I have been through a lot and have become very resilient. Its not that bad usually if you have an experienced doctor. Anyhow good luck to anyone going for their first. Allan

Old 03-20-2010, 06:30 PM   #11
(male)

TPcity HB User

J just think that back injections can be presented in a way that they are easy. Just saying for me, they are tramadic, painfull for me, but work. Did I mention that I love nurses?

Old 03-21-2010, 10:07 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

brendaks1 HB Userbrendaks1 HB Userbrendaks1 HB User

I have had a number of injections from ESI's to several nerve blocks, and I have never had severe pain from them. There is a minor bee's sting sensation when the needle first goes in, but I usually have more pain from having blood drawn from my arm quite frankly.

I was scared to death the first time I had one, but now it doesn't bother me at all. I don't use any sedation.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:34 PM   #13
(male)

TPcity HB User

I need to be iced down. You can spary with a cold hose if they wanted to? Don't enjoy them.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:37 PM   #14
(male)

TPcity HB User

Think this last ijection the surgeon nailed it as he said. I feel dynomite. But sleepy.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:55 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

[COLOR="Navy"]My Pm numbs me with novacaine before he does the injection. And because I am fused from T9 to my sacrum, I have caudal injections. Where they go in from the bottom of your tainbone and go straight up. Not the most pleasant experience... But all I suffer is some minor hot pressure feeling because my PM is that good. I wouldn't let anyone else there do the shots.. that and I brought my teddy bear along.[/COLOR]

Last edited by ibake&pray; 03-22-2010 at 06:55 AM.

Closed Thread