It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2010, 12:31 PM   #1
(female)

nora01 HB Usernora01 HB Usernora01 HB User
back pain and electrical stimulation

has anyone had electrical nerve stimulation for back pain? I have been in PT for almost a month and have been getting this at end of each session for about 10 minutes. I usually find some relief but sometimes it feels like little shocks going through my muscles. I also had a muscel spasm one time that made be jump a little.

Anyone also know any long term effects of having this done?

Old 03-31-2010, 06:55 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User
Re: back pain and electrical stimulation

[COLOR="Navy"]I used to have this. It helps with the muscle connectivity. It also stimulates the muscles so they will work better.

If you are feeling shocks that actually sting/hurt, then they need to adjust the level they are giving you. My PT always asks if this is enough before he moves it. The object is not to feel pain...[/COLOR]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2010, 08:04 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Pebble Beach HB User

I have been thru a number of spine surgeries. Several years ago it was recommended that I have a Spinal Cord Stimulator implant for pain since my problems were on going and doing more surgery was not recommended.

So I had a spinal cord implant done probably about 4 to 5 years ago. First a trial implant was done before the permanent one was done. The leads [wires] were placed in the thoracic region and the device is in the hip region.

I am not sure whether I can say it is totally effective. The implant seems to work for only certain types of pain. The problem in my case is that I have other issues which are greater then what the stimulator will work on. So I am still in constant pain. If I didn't have the stimulator I may be worse off. It may be helping with some of the minor issues.

The stimulator in my case is on 24/7 and you do feel the electrical impules. Sometimes more so then others depending on the way you move.

Not sure if this answers your question. Whatever you decide to do good luck.

Old 04-01-2010, 01:59 AM   #4
(male)

Myofascial Pain HB UserMyofascial Pain HB User

nora,

Are you referring to a TENS unit?

Pebbles, does your Dorsal stimulator come with a control unit that communicates with the dorsal stimulator box when you place the control unit on the skin above the box?

I would suggest you both see my blog about Spinal Cord Stimulators and please provide any comments or questions you have there. It would help to have a centralized thread that we can all contribute to.

~Myo

Old 04-01-2010, 07:45 AM   #5
(female)

hi

i'm talking about a tens unit as this is (hopefully) for temporary relief for lower back pain (bulging disc) while in physical therapy.

Thanks!

Old 04-01-2010, 08:09 PM   #6
(female)

Mart16 HB UserMart16 HB UserMart16 HB User

Hi Nora-
I am currently at PT for back problems (sciatica) and am using the tens unit. Quite frankly it feels like hokey pokey but I am willing to try anything PT wants me to do at this time. The best part of it is the heat application while using the tens unit and the massage afterwards. They feel the best! The whole combination of exercises, tens unit and massage seem to be helping. I have had no side affects. No one ever mentioned that there could be any side affects and I never thought to ask. Good luck to you.
Martha

Old 04-02-2010, 04:32 AM   #7
(male)

Myofascial Pain HB UserMyofascial Pain HB User

Martha,

It may sound hokey at first.. though if you read my blog, you'll know I'm looking at having a variant of one surgically implanted as a last recourse if i can't get off the meds with injections and physical therapy..

The science behind it is basic wave harmonics... finding the frequency & ampllitude of the pain or motor signal causing tension, which is just an electrical pulse traveling along the nerve, and then canceling that wave by sending pulse half a wave out of sync and of the same frequency and amplitude,

~Myo

Last edited by Myofascial Pain; 04-02-2010 at 04:36 AM.

Old 04-02-2010, 12:32 PM   #8
(female)

I actually like the tens machine betters when I get it with ice versus heat. No massage after though as I never had one from PT. Oh well, I'm due to get a 1.5 hr massage from my regular massage person and it is the best!

Closed Thread