It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2010, 05:07 PM   #1
(female)

michelle0143 HB User
New to this site - need help

I have awful back pain. Finally had MRI- I got a copy of the MRI but the : "wonderful" clinic could not see me. So I would like to know what this means:
L3-L4 mild left paracentral posterior disk bulge, which creates moderate inferior narrowing of the neural foramina without visualized nerve root contact/compression. What does this mean? Please help my lower back hurts all the time.Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2010, 08:43 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Pebble Beach HB User
Re: New to this site - need help

Its been a while since I've read an MRI report. Hopefully I can clarify it somewhat for you.

L3-4 refers to leves 3-4 in the lumbar spine --- the low back. There are 5 levels in the lumbar spine. So this is sort of the middle section of the lumbar region.

There is a difference between a disc bulge and a disc herniation. The disc bulge to my understanding isn't as bad as the herniation.

The neural foramina refers to the area where the nevers exit the spine. Picture a straw. Down the center of the straw is where all the nerves run. But at each level they also exit the spine. Nerves in the neck deal with such areas as the arms. Lumbar nerves that exit the spine deal with such areas as leg pain etc.

the paracentral posterior disc bulge means that the bulge goes to the left side of your spine towards the back region.

Have you tried any type of anti inflamatory medication or physical therapy? I would think convervative treatment should be tried at this point to take pressure off of the nerves and to try to re-align the bulge into proper position.

Keep us posted on how you are doing. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread