It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2010, 05:34 PM   #1
(male)

sep1975 HB User
Question 1 year after sugery

Hello everyone. I'm new to this so bear with me. I had an L5-S1 fusion done on march 31,2009. My pain now is worse than before and seems to be getting worse still. I have been going to pain management clinic for a while now and nothing seems to be helping. They have tried the RF ablation, on march 31 2010 they put in the neurostimulation therapy device. It is not helping either. They told me I should feel relief immediately other than the pain from putting it in. Does anyone have any advice on what else I can do? I want my life back. I miss doing the things that I enjoy. I miss going to work everyday. Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:44 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User
Re: 1 year after sugery

[COLOR="Navy"]Did you have a trial of the device before they implanted it permanently? It's not designed to removed your pain totally, but to make it bearable. My understanding is that you can have the device turned off if you aren't getting sufficient satisfaction from it.

Did you try using pain patches also?[/COLOR]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2010, 09:35 AM   #3
(male)

sep1975 HB User

It was the trial device that I had. The doctor removed it yesterday. I really did not notice much relief in my back pain. Tha doctor gave me the options of trying the device again or going to see a surgeon for other options. He mentioned something about a pain pump but doesn't want to do that because of my age. I am supposed to think about the options and let him know in two weeks.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:50 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

[COLOR="Navy"]Because you are too young or too old for the pump? One thing about the pump is that it takes a long time to regulate it to get the correct dose. It is usually put in as a last resort. Have you used fentanyl patches? Those offer alot of people great relief.[/COLOR]

Old 04-08-2010, 03:38 PM   #5
(male)

azrebel HB User

Hello, may I ask, one year after surgery, what do you and your doctors feel is [U]causing[/U] the pain? I am 14 months post op from a triple lumbar discectomy. After all this time, I am FINALLY seeing positive results. I have learned more about my evolving condition from this board than I have from the medical people. I dislike pain meds and am more interested in discovering and dealing with the root cause of the pain. I am currently on no pain meds and very thankful for that fact. regards, AZRebel

Old 04-09-2010, 04:48 PM   #6
(male)

sep1975 HB User

The doctor said I am too young for the pain pump. I am 35. He hasn't mentioned anything about patches. I will bring that up at my next appt. to see if that is an option. They don't know for sure what the cause of the pain is. I am tired of taking pain meds but for now it is better than the pain, but I do not want too stay on them.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:21 AM   #7
(female)

sbailey76 HB User

hello we had our surgeries very close to each! I had my Anterior/Posterior spinal fusion march 25 they fused S1-L5.

My pain is better but I am now having major issues with my legs. They are always weak and I have to move them around a lot. When I get up from sitting or laying it takes me a minute to walk right, I am only 33. Are you having any issues with your legs?

Old 04-12-2010, 09:00 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

If you haven't recently, be sure to get a consultation with your Orthopedic Spine Surgeon and/or Neurosurgeon for further testing and evaluation.

Closed Thread