It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2010, 02:07 PM   #1
(male)

springturkey HB User
synfix-lr system

has anyone had this procedure and what were the results

Old 07-21-2010, 04:36 PM   #2
(female)

lowdownL5S1 HB User
Re: synfix-lr system

I had this done on the 16th. ALIF with synfx-lr only, and about 1 1/2 hours of surgery for spondylolisthesis at L5-S1 with a grade 1 1/2 slip. I am a petite woman, who was in shape, but had nerve pain due to a collapsed disk. My nerves are still sparking a bit, but that is to be expected. I feel stability where there was not much before, and though my muscles are adjusting a bit to the added height (about 1/2"), I have no more spasms in the back.

It is important not to push the limits. Still no bending, twisting, lifting, and I wear a lumbar medical support when I am walking around. I walked the hall the day after surgery, and went up stairs the day after that. I was a little nervous about whether I was going to do anything to cause the device to move, but my doctor assured me that it would take a lot to do that. I was sent home after two nights in the hospital, and I have been able to control my pain spells with hydrocodone every six hours or three times a day (one before bed, and one in the middle of the night). I was not on any meds before this, aside from the occasional advil.

I feel positive about my choice for the instrumentation, and the recovery. I saw 10 doctors over a year, and 3 of them said I could do this route without the instrumentation in the back. I spoke to a guy that was a success with it through my doctor as well and he was over 6' tall. Not everyone qualifies for it though.

The vascular surgeon did about a 2" incision below and to the left of my belly button. He did not cut the muscle, and I think that once the incision heals I will be even better. I would make certain whoever you use uses a vascular surgeon, because one doctor told me he would use a general surgeon.

I am happy to be on the road to recovery. I was told the back segment of my L5 vertabra that was detached already may move, and I have felt that a couple of times. If it really poses a problem they can remove it after the fusion, but ideally I don't want my back cut into. We'll see in a couple of months.

Very glad that my husband stayed home with me this week. The first two days were especially needed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread