It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2010, 08:51 PM   #1
(male)

Junior456 HB User
changing doctors

Hi everybody? I have a serious question. My surgeon who has performed 2 surgeries on me, i dont like the way he is treating me now. I have a workmans comp case. he told me he was putting me on a 40lb weight restriction. which means i cant go back to my regular job. Well come to realize he says after a year i can go back to full duty,this is what he told the insurance company, but he didnt tell me that. I can barely get out the bed without pain meds. I had a 2 level fusion with hardware, that was my last surgerey. so my question is can i see another doctor. He has not even giving me a mri to see if im fused or what is going on with my back. So can i see another doctor or what? My case has not been settled or anything. I would like some feed back pleaseeeee. I am in so much pain, I want to know why? my leg numbness is back, and my foot numbness is back.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2010, 09:35 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

brendaks1 HB Userbrendaks1 HB Userbrendaks1 HB User
Re: changing doctors

Junior Warden,

I really feel for you and I'm sorry you're going through this.

I have had 4 spine surgeries and have had to change doctors, so I know how hard that decision is.

Having said that, you are always best to work with the same doctor if at all possible. Before just trying to change to someone else, talk to your doctor and be frank about your concerns. It's a good idea to make a list or type a few paragraphs about your concerns or current status and items you'd like to talk to the doctor about. That way you won't forget anything.

Doctors see dozens of patients every day they're in clinic, and it's easy for them to forget things you said at past visits or confuse you with another patient. They often assume you are doing well unless you are assertive that there are problems. If you're concerned about the weight restriction being lifted or your ability to return to work, you need to be firm that you don't feel you can do that because of your current pain level, and give specific examples of what causes you pain or increases your pain.

If you leg and foot numbness is back, you should make an appointment to see your doctor regardless of whether or not you are scheduled for one.

Surgeons make most of their money doing surgery. Unfortunately, once surgery is done, some surgeons won't help you long-term since they can make more money helping others by doing surgery.

If you have done the above and your doctor is still unwilling to help you, then is the time to consider going to a different doctor. However, once you have had spine surgery, most other spine surgeons won't agree to see you until at least 6-12 months have passed.

On a side note, a CT scan is what's used to make sure you're fused, not an MRI. This is usually done around 6 months post-op to check for fusion.

So be assertive, specific, explain your concerns to your doctor, and see if he is willing to help you.

Best wishes!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2010, 09:07 AM   #3
(male)

Junior456 HB User

Thanks alot. that was great info.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:18 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

[COLOR="Navy"]You didn't tell us how far out you are from your surgery. Has it been 6 months, 6 years, 3 months? That all makes a difference in the amount of pain you are experiencing.

The 40 lb, weight limit is a standard limit when you have had two levels fused. Trying to lift even that much puts a stress on your back and the areas that have been fused. You will feel it when you try to pick up something around 25 lbs. trust me. It just isn't good to put stress on that area. It may be fused, but that makes it different from the normal bakc so it bears watching.

It is common with alot of surgerons to sort of dismiss you after surgery. They do surgery-not follow on after care. He is probably keeping you because you are a WC case. One of the best ways to reinforce to a doctor that you are having issues is to bring another adult along with you. someone who know what you have been going through and how much difficulty you have had.

Good luck and keep us posted.[/COLOR]

Old 04-09-2010, 05:17 PM   #5
(male)

Myofascial Pain HB UserMyofascial Pain HB User

[QUOTE=Junior warden;4222116]Hi everybody? I have a serious question. My surgeon who has performed 2 surgeries on me, i dont like the way he is treating me now. I have a workmans comp case. he told me he was putting me on a 40lb weight restriction. which means i cant go back to my regular job. Well come to realize he says after a year i can go back to full duty,this is what he told the insurance company, but he didnt tell me that. I can barely get out the bed without pain meds. I had a 2 level fusion with hardware, that was my last surgerey. so my question is can i see another doctor. He has not even giving me a mri to see if im fused or what is going on with my back. So can i see another doctor or what? My case has not been settled or anything. I would like some feed back pleaseeeee. I am in so much pain, I want to know why? my leg numbness is back, and my foot numbness is back.[/QUOTE]

Well I have a couple of suggestions...

Like brendaks stated... doctors can often forget what they said to you, so it never hurts to ask for a written assessment. Be it in the form of an actual letter or a copy of your medical records which hopefully contain notes of your conversations and concerns. If your records don't contain notes of your conversations then its not unreasonable to ask for a written letter. Basically, CYA (cover your a**).

Second recommendation, when it comes to dealing with workman's comp having a litigator on your side is always a good idea. Brendaks and I gave this same advice to another poster just within the past month or so. If you take the time to do a bit of reading I'm sure you'll find the thread.

~Myo

Old 04-09-2010, 06:59 PM   #6
(male)

Sootman HB User

Hey Sootman here, I'm on workmans comp too since 4-21-2009. My case worker told me you can only choose one Dr in that field. May I ask what type of injury and surgeries you had . wish you the best of luck.

Old 04-10-2010, 12:11 AM   #7
(male)

Junior456 HB User

[QUOTE=Sootman;4222773]Hey Sootman here, I'm on workmans comp too since 4-21-2009. My case worker told me you can only choose one Dr in that field. May I ask what type of injury and surgeries you had . wish you the best of luck.[/QUOTE]
Hey sootman thanks for responding. I have had a microdisectamey, and I have had the fusion. I am 9 months out of the fusion. I was injured after i fell over a cart at work, I work for a large cable company. It has been the worst 3 years of my life. My whole life has changed, and this doctor wants to play games.

Old 04-10-2010, 12:15 AM   #8
(male)

Junior456 HB User

[QUOTE=ibake&pray;4222410][COLOR="Navy"]You didn't tell us how far out you are from your surgery. Has it been 6 months, 6 years, 3 months? That all makes a difference in the amount of pain you are experiencing.

The 40 lb, weight limit is a standard limit when you have had two levels fused. Trying to lift even that much puts a stress on your back and the areas that have been fused. You will feel it when you try to pick up something around 25 lbs. trust me. It just isn't good to put stress on that area. It may be fused, but that makes it different from the normal bakc so it bears watching.

It is common with alot of surgerons to sort of dismiss you after surgery. They do surgery-not follow on after care. He is probably keeping you because you are a WC case. One of the best ways to reinforce to a doctor that you are having issues is to bring another adult along with you. someone who know what you have been going through and how much difficulty you have had.

Good luck and keep us posted.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Old 04-10-2010, 12:18 AM   #9
(male)

Junior456 HB User

Im sorry. I am 9 months out of the fusion. Mind you I also had a microdisectimy done also, by the same surgeon.

Old 04-10-2010, 12:22 AM   #10
(male)

Junior456 HB User

[QUOTE=Junior warden;4222919][/QUOTE]
Im sorry i am 9 months out of the fusion, mind you i also had a microdisectamey done by the same doc.

Old 04-10-2010, 12:25 AM   #11
(male)

Junior456 HB User

[QUOTE=Junior warden;4222922]Im sorry. I am 9 months out of the fusion. Mind you I also had a microdisectimy done also, by the same surgeon.[/QUOTE]

Old 04-10-2010, 08:45 PM   #12
(female)

Precious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB User
Post Re: changing doctors

I totally agree on taking someone with you on your Work Comp appointments. I take my hubby every time I go, and if he can't go I take my daughter. It helps to have someone with you who knows what you're going through and that second set of ears.

Closed Thread