It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2010, 10:11 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jema X HB User
Having revision of T8/9 on 28th May - terrified

Hi guys,

I just wondered, as always, if there's anyone here going through thoracic surgery or has any advice.

My first T8/9 surgery didn't work (as so many thoracic don't!) and the surgeon left behind floating bone and disc....as well as chronic/acute right T8 nerve pain. Now the MRIs are showing that the nerve is reimpinged and my surgeon is recommending surgery (a different, much better surgeon). The thing that scares the living daylights out of me is that there is an 8% risk of quadraplegia and a 15% risk of serious complications. This scares me more than any other surgery I've had.

Just looking for some advice and any comments. Thanks heaps

Old 04-12-2010, 09:51 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User
Re: Having revision of T8/9 on 28th May - terrified

YOu might have better luck on the Spinal Cord Disorder board. That board is for the thoraisic and upper lumbar area of the back. This board is primarily Lower Lumbar so most of us don't know much about the upper areas.....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2010, 09:50 PM   #3
(female)

Precious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB User
Post Re: Having revision of T8/9 on 28th May - terrified

Hi Jema X

I know how concerned you must be about surgery on the thoracic region. If you have a good Dr. that makes allot of difference. I had a fractured T12 from Nov, and had cement put in the vertebra in January. Recently through a new MRI it shows the T12 has collapsed behind the cement. Also, my new Neuro. (who I trust allot) says I need a fusion on my L4/5, but will not do the surgery until the previous Dr. fixes the T12 so that the rods and screws are able to hold. I can walk for about 20 minutes, then it's very bad pain, and haven't worked for 4 months and don't know if I will be able to again. Thoracic surgery is some what more difficult than lower back, but if you have a good surgeon with a good track record that will help if you decide to have it done. I would also, get another opinion. hope things work out for you.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:00 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jema X HB User
Re: Having revision of T8/9 on 28th May - terrified

Thanks Precious, I'm sorry for what you're going through. I had a fracture at T10 after my accident and it was very painful. I've had 3 second opinions now and all say much the same thing - although one of the surgeon's said that there's no way he'd do a repeat on a thoracic disc because it's just too dangerous. I do trust my neuro, he treats me like family and he's seen me through a lot - I wish he'd done my first thoracic fusion because maybe then I wouldn't be in this mess. i just can't cope with the flare ups and breathing problems since it's reherniated and I don't feel I have much choice. This is my 8th night with less than 2 hours sleep and I'm going to have to ring my GP to hopefully get my PM to admit me for some respite. My pain is so high that I just feel like curling up...but then I get uncomfortable 10 minutes later and have to walk around again. It's a never ending cycle. Sorry to sound so down, I'm not usually like this - I guess it's jus the stress of a dangerous surgery and not enough sleep to think things through rationally.

When will you get your T12 sorted? My fracture healed quite nicely (unlike the herniations) though I had to spend 6 weeks on bedrest which was frustrating. I hope that this time yours heals well too. Good luck and thanks for the response, it's hard to find anyone with thoracic issues so I thought I'd try all the boards

Closed Thread