It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2010, 11:21 AM   #1
(female)

cat1001 HB User
is this really sciatica? help!

hello, to cut a long story very short, i have been told by my gp i have sciatica, the only problem is i had a dvt 1 year ago and the pain feels very similar, it is mostly in my left calf, its not swollen or red but it is tender. i had an ultrasound scan 6 weeks ago (i ve had this pain for a year now) and i have been reasurred it is not a dvt. has anyone else experienced calf pain with sciatica, i have scoliosis so not sure if its connected. i do get some back and upper leg pain but all i can think about is the calf pain. the dr has persribed amitriptyline but as i have just read it is used to treat depression aswell and im a bit unsure about taking it. please help if anymone else has experienced these pains from sciatica!

Old 04-13-2010, 02:49 PM   #2
(female)

minstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB User
Re: is this really sciatica? help!

I had severe pain in my calf last summer from nerve impingement. My dr. made me get an ultrasound, since she didn't believe it was from my back, but I knew it was. It was terrible pain, I couldn't even stand to stand in the shower. It finally went away, but that was totally due to prayer. The meds didn't touch it. I took Tramadol, but that didn't help. Thank God for taking care of it.
Kay

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2010, 04:12 PM   #3
(female)

cat1001 HB User

thanx kay thats really helpful, its put my mind at rest at bit (i am a bit paranoid about getting another dvt) went swimming this evening and when i got home i had a good rest, just got up to have a shower and there is a sharp pain behind my knee, just to add to the stress of it all i am now convinced it is a dvt and now feel very panicky shortness of breath rapid heart rate etc all the signs of anxiety, i really hope it is sciatica i have to go to work tomorrow and im dreading it another day of enormous pain and nobody seems to understand.

Old 04-14-2010, 06:19 PM   #4
(female)

PEmom HB User

Cat1001
I have herniated my L5s1 4 times and am getting a fusion in 2 weeks. I have nerve damage done when the nerve was pinched by the disc before I had a Lami. My calf on my damaged leg is tight all the time and gets cramped. I had a nerve study done and have permanent damage on my lower leg from the herniations. Whenever a disc is bulging or herniated it can put pressure on the nerve and you can have problems in your leg depending on the disc, and how it is pressing on the nerve. I have had 2 cortisone shots recently and have had great relief but my calf is still tight but not to the point of serious pain. I hope this encourages you!!!

Old 04-15-2010, 01:01 PM   #5
(female)

cat1001 HB User

thank you soo much it does help (not with the pain but definately with the anxiety, i went to work today and had to keep running off to have little breaks after 12 long hours im going to soak in the bath and then straight to bed, tomorrow is another day but i survived this day so it goes to show i am in pain but i can get on with my life!!!!! hurahhhhh! good luck with your operation in a couple of weeks i hope you are pain free when you ve recovered.

Last edited by cat1001; 04-15-2010 at 01:03 PM.

Closed Thread