It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2010, 06:56 AM   #1
(female)

odcdfm HB User
suggestions for sleeping positions?

I have had low back pain for 10 years, severity comes and goes. Things have been going fairly well (mild, manageable pain), and suddenly I'm waking up at 4 am with pain and stiffness and can't get comfortable or back to sleep.
Usually, sleeping on my side with a pillow b/n my knees is quite comfortable, so not sure what happened. Sleeping on my back and stomach is also uncomfortable. So, what are my other options?
Any suggestions for comfortable sleeping positions w/ low back pain?

Thanks! Dinah

Old 04-17-2010, 01:28 PM   #2
(female)

minstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB User
Re: suggestions for sleeping positions?

If you try to sleep on your back, you usually need to keep knees high, I use two pillows under my knees. I can't sleep long on my side, due to my arms going numb. I have had cervical surgery. I am forced to sleep on my back and had lots of hip pain until I began using the high level of pillows under my knees. It has helped. I used to sleep on my stomach, and that is impossible now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2010, 03:43 PM   #3
(female)

myback09 HB User

Dinah, I feel for you I also wake throughout the night in excrutiating pain so I understand. One very stange position I have found is to stay with the body pillow but put another king sz foam(very soft) behind your back and ease onto it or roll back slightly. You are not realy on your back or your side kind of a 45% inbetween I can usualy get an hour or two this way then return to my side, by then my hip has calmed down enough.
Marie
c-5/6 fusion 02
l3-s1 fusion 09
scoliosis 1976

Old 04-17-2010, 08:46 PM   #4
(female)

Mart16 HB UserMart16 HB UserMart16 HB User

Hi Dinah-
I have just recently (past year) run into the same problem as you. Right about 4 the pain would finally wake me and I would struggle dealing with it. I tried the pillow between the knees also and it did help. Unfortunately while I sleep I kick it out and never wake up with it. Ibuprofen helped for awhile before I went to bed but finally had to go to my internist for help. I don't know if you are on any meds yet but he put my on mobic before I go to bed and it has helped greatly. I can get the generic at Target for only $4. I know some people develop stomach problems with NSAIDs so you have to watch it but so far I have had no problems. I hated to give into meds but it just was time.
Good luck to you.
Martha

Closed Thread