It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2010, 11:39 AM   #1
(male)

jpda HB User
new here

hi to everyone, just a quick intro, names jay, living in ireland, born in south africa, hope to get chatting and hopefully find some ease, so here's the problem as many, i have back probs and at this stage have tried just about everything under the sun, am at the stage where am even considering going under the knife, but have had mixed reviews on it,? i reaslise by this stage and by the advice ive been given that posture is mostly the contributing factor to back pain. i have spent alot of time and money in correcting this from car seats for the long 8 hour journeys to little breaks to stretch to physio( afterall you only have 1 back) look after it. 1 example is i sneezed and a muscle in my upper back spasmed as im sure alot of you have experienced, which felt like 20 tons on my back, any movement was crippling.

so my question to anyone who can help is. what do u do to find relief once this happens and have you any advice on how to not resolve the problem as its probably there for life? but how to manage yourself so it does nt happen.?

thanks for reading, hope to talk more about it
jay

Old 04-18-2010, 09:26 PM   #2
(male)

Myofascial Pain HB UserMyofascial Pain HB User
Re: new here

Jay,

Often times the answer is find the right variant of the treatments that you may have tired in the past and provided no relief. So for example the right combination of medications, the right type of injection treatments, the right variation of physical therapy, the right variation of alternative treatments (chiropractic, acupuncture etc...)

Of course, all this hinges upon getting the accurate & correct diagnosis. I was given the wrong PT based on the wrong diagnosis and when I finally was correctly diagnosed my doctors informed me that the improper treatment "set back my recovery by at least a year if not multiple years." So how do I know they got the correct diagnosis this time?

First, my symptoms fit perfectly with their diagnosis. But more importantly, I am seeing improvement from the treatments they have prescribed based on that diagnosis. So, if it feels like you are getting worse or just spinning your wheels, that is an indicator that you aren't getting the right treatments. Which could very well hinge on whether or not they have the correct diagnosis.

~Myo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2010, 09:19 AM   #3
(male)

Chazz HB User

Hi Jay.
First of all, have you had an MRI scan done ? If yes, what did it show ?
Talk again soon, good luck.

Charlie.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:51 AM   #4
(male)

jpda HB User

thanks for the reply myo and charlie, im quite persistant and am taking measures every day, taking the bull by the horns so far and not relying on any synopsis good or bad, read a passage in a book saying, " try not handing the problem over to a third party, all it will do is dampen the situation, not cure it" the physio im seeing seems to say its due to my shoulder blades moving in irratic movements, causing muscle spasms, other than that, no other medical term has been given, thanks all the same myo, will concentrate on the points you have hilighted

charlie, ive been for x-ray on my back and bones look good, never been for a mri, is the mri specifically for muscular and not bone?

thanks again guys.
good luck
jay

Old 04-19-2010, 01:04 PM   #5
(male)

Myofascial Pain HB UserMyofascial Pain HB User

Muscle spasms? Have they tested you for trigger and or tender points...

Spasmodic muscles are common to Myofascial Pain Syndrome. Which basically means your fascia (connective tissue) that forms a sheath around the muscle (myo) and binds it to the dermis is torn and so the muscle works to support itself by constant contraction which can escalate to full spasms since the muscles aren't acting in harmony but each of its own accord... so that inevitably leads to them battling it out for position and [I][B]tada[/B][/I].. muscle spasms...

Its something to consider... its a cousin of Fibromyalgia... which is defined more by tender point than trigger points.

Since Fibro was considered for years to be psychosomatic... basically created in the brain... many doctors still balk at diagnosing either Fibro or MFPS.

~Myo

Closed Thread