It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2010, 06:29 AM   #1
(male)

Chazz HB User
Sciatica pain starting 3 weeks after discectomy...

Hello everyone,
I am a 41 yo airport fireman, 6'2 ft, 14 st.
I had l4/l5 discectomy 25 days ago, because I suffered from lower back pain that quickly was replaced by a persistant almost daily sciatica for almost 4 months.
Standing, walking, swimming wasn't a big issue, however sitting down was a bit awkward, and I could certainly not lift anything heavy, run, jump.
My employer's policy is not to grant any of us "light duties", so I have been unable to attend work since the 19th of November 2009 as a result.
A large bulging disc at l4/l5 level appeared to be the cause of it.
After trying various different unsuccessful therapies including a lumbar epidural injection, I was left without other option than the surgery one.
I religiously followed post operation dos and donts, I was able to walk quite early after the surgery.
The sciatica pain was gone the minute I woke up in hospital. The lower back pain, the stiffness around the scar area eased up day after day.
I increased my walking routine every day, and made good and promising progressed, everything was going smoothly, although the sciatica pain reappeared lightly after 2 weeks now and again during the night or the day, intermittently.
But 3 days ago every changed.
A couple of minutes after I got up in the morning the pain appeared in my left buttocks lightly, to increase gradually to a very very sharp deep pain I have NEVER experienced before after 15mn, forcing me to retreat to the lying down position where I am totally pain free....
Since then, it is the exact same scenario happening every single time I get up
I abandonned all my daily walking because it is simply impossible to achieve as the pain builds up to an unbearable point...
I take anti inflammatory and paracetamol tablets, I apply ice on the area 3 times a day since, but there isn't a slightest sign of any improvement. I haven't bend, lift, twist or even sit down since the operation, I thought the sciatica pain was gone for good, unfortunately it is back and it is many times stronger than ever before....
I am so worried and distraught.
If there is any of you that could give me some answers to the disappointing set back I am enduring, please do.
Many thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2010, 01:20 PM   #2
(male)

ArronBates HB User
Re: Sciatica pain starting 3 weeks after discectomy...

[QUOTE=Chazz;4229390]Hello everyone,
I had l4/l5 discectomy 25 days ago, because I suffered from lower back pain that quickly was replaced by a persistant almost daily sciatica for almost 4 months.
Standing, walking, swimming wasn't a big issue, however sitting down was a bit awkward, and I could certainly not lift anything heavy, run, jump.
My employer's policy is not to grant any of us "light duties", so I have been unable to attend work since the 19th of November 2009 as a result.
After trying various different unsuccessful therapies including a lumbar epidural injection, I was left without other option than the surgery one.
I religiously followed post operation dos and donts, I was able to walk quite early after the surgery.
The sciatica pain was gone the minute I woke up in hospital. The lower back pain, the stiffness around the scar area eased up day after day.
I increased my walking routine every day, and made good and promising progressed, everything was going smoothly, although the sciatica pain reappeared lightly after 2 weeks now and again during the night or the day, intermittently.
A couple of minutes after I got up in the morning the pain appeared in my left buttocks lightly, to increase gradually to a very very sharp deep pain I have NEVER experienced before after 15mn, forcing me to retreat to the lying down position where I am totally pain free....
I abandonned all my daily walking because it is simply impossible to achieve as the pain builds up to an unbearable point...
I take anti inflammatory and paracetamol tablets, I apply ice on the area 3 times a day since, but there isn't a slightest sign of any improvement. I haven't bend, lift, twist or even sit down since the operation, I thought the sciatica pain was gone for good, unfortunately it is back and it is many times stronger than ever before....
If there is any of you that could give me some answers to the disappointing set back I am enduring, please do.
Many thanks.[/QUOTE]
I have the exact problem and when I asked my surgeon he told me that probably it is little arthritis and after disectomy surgery we can never be the same..... I am really disappointed from the results and I wish the surgeon told me this before I had the surgery. I hope the sciatica pains in the morning will get little better.

Old 07-13-2010, 05:35 PM   #3
(male)

whiskeycat HB User

Now my doctor is telling me I probably have arthritis, (haven't had a x-ray or MRI lately).
So I wonder if surgery would be of help to me. I've been going to accpuncture, seems it has worked for some people. Was told I needed 4-5 treatments at $80 a shot (that includes some massage work).

Old 07-14-2010, 12:47 PM   #4
(male)

Chazz HB User

Hi all,
I am now back to work since yesterday!!!
My set back was due to a lot of scar tissues with some touching the sciatica nerve which is part of the healing process.
I remained patient, and am pain free 7 weeks now, with a lot of help and advices from my physio who set up amongst other things a pilates program for me, I also had an exercise program in the pool, then I managed to start walking progressilvely, then I added cycling to the routine, and eventually cross training over the last 2 weeks + the physio squats and dead lifts.
So lads be patient and get the right guidelines and advices.
Best of luck to all, keep the faith !!!

Old 07-14-2010, 10:19 PM   #5
(male)

whiskeycat HB User

Just read a book on acupunture and it talks about trigger points, (chiros know about this) they are points where the muscle fibers are tight due to injury or illness. these points must be treated. I don't think the MD's are aware of this, maybe the massage techs know.

for example if you have pain in arm, hands or fingers then it can be from a trigger point in the shoulder area. You can treat the arm etc. but until you treat the trigger point you will always have pain.

Old 06-15-2011, 03:23 AM   #6
(male)

Akaskero HB User
Sciatic pain starting after 3 weeks @Chazz

Hey Chazz

Hope your still using the boards mate cause I really need some advice.

I had a blow out at l4/l5 which was stretching my nerve like a stretched elastic band apparently. I did it doing weights and general sport. Started to get pain in left butt cheek but thought it was piriformis syndrome or something.

Well all the wonders of having a lown disc later and about 8 months, I had amicrodiscectomy at the Rooyal London Hospital and was relived to hear about what yoou said about waking up without any symptons other than the usual surgery back pain which halves about 50% every day!

Well it's been about 3 weeks now and I haven't been doing any sport, am fit still cause I kept swiming lengths through the sciatica and although I haven't done anything in 3 weeks, i'm still the same weight and walking al the time.

Pretty much the 3rd day after surgery, I started light walks incresing them as the weeks go on.

I now have no pain in the mornings while lying down but as I get up and start moving around, I get pain in my left butt cheek again. I can put my socks on and all that stuff, look down but not look down and extend left leg. This has come on in the last few days.

You mention about scar tissue perhaps pressing against the nerve. Are these pains normal after this amount of time and also, how easy is it to get a recurrence of the slipped disc by just walking around, attending light sexual duties with my girlfriend etc.

I appreciate if this is a time in your life you want to forget about but I would be so grateful for your reply.

Hope your recovery is still going well

Will

Old 08-02-2011, 06:29 AM   #7
(female)

mbgoodwi HB User

Hey Chazz,

I read your initial post and that is the EXACT same thing that I am experiencing. I had a lumber discectomy 12 days ago and was doing great after the surgery until this past Saturday. I went to walk the dog and was in SEVERE pain and it has not gotten better at all. However, when I am laying down it goes away. You mentioned that yours had something to do with scar tissue? Would you mind explaining that a bit more. I am so upset and frustrated right now and fear that I am going to lose my job. Any information you might be willing to share would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:54 AM   #8
(male)

Akaskero HB User

Hey mbgoodwi

12 days is nothing mate.

It's been 2.5 months now since my microdiscectomy and believe me i've been up and down with twinges and sporadic back pain. But it does go away.

When I first woke up, I pretty much felt nothing at all until after a night, then the generic back pain set in and didn't really go away for a couple of weeks.

After the 2nd week, I started to feel some sciatic pain in my butt again while extending my left leg which was the initial problem however, before the surgery, I could barely stand, sit, lay or do anything as that particular leg was in too much referred pain from the nerve.

This sort of went up and down over a 2 month period. Even after 2 months bare in mind, I still had a twinge in my left buttock.

Now it's nearly been 3 months and I have my life back again. I can do everything I did before but cause i'm a bit scared, I take it pretty easy and will do probably for the first year. Only swimming, cycling etc.

mbgoodwi, I suggest doing a lot of walking as that is what was suggested to me and it helps keep the muscles active and the scar tissue at bay. Take your time with it though. Walk a little more day by day.

It takes about 3 months to heal completely and depending on fitness, weight, diet etc, It can take longer so just role with it.

mbgoodwi trust me, I was so scared after 1.5 - 2 months cause I had some sciatic pain again and thought I re burst the disc or something but I didn't. After surgery, you get all kinds of twinges as I did in your leg and foot but remember what it was like before the surgery? You probably (like me) couldnt even lay down. The pain your probably feeling (like me) is the nerve healing, the scar tissue etc.

mbgoodwi, if you look at your back, you can see a large bulge of scarring and inflammation right? Imagine what that looks like around your sciatic nerve mate. It's not just there at the skin, your lamina bone has been shaved, ligament moved or removed and muscle pulled out the way for the micro tools to get to the disc. All this is gonna need to heal and it's gonna be inflammed.

Trust me, that goes down after (for me) around 1.5 - 2 months and when it does, you will be sympton free.

I must add, microdiscectomy has 95% good results but EVERYONE wakes up pretty much forgetting what it was like in critical pain. Now yur walking and stuff, remember, your SPINE has just been operated on. It may most of the time feel like your ok but the slightest things cause increased inflamation around the damaged areas and subsequently more pain.

Trust me. It all goes away. Give it 3 months or so and keep walking everywhere.

Good luck!

AVOID TWISTING,
BEND WITH YOUR KNEES!

The Following User Says Thank You to Akaskero For This Useful Post:
mluther00 (08-26-2012)
Old 01-01-2012, 03:09 PM   #9
(male)

Smithio HB User

At last I've found a thread that gives me some hope. I'm now 6 weeks post op and after sitting down or walking (both for about 20 mins) I am so tight on the sciatic nerve in my lumbar, buttock and calf. A hamstring stretch relieves it, but it comes back next time. This started happening on day 17 post op and isn't improving. I guess I'm just frustrated as I know a couple of people who've had the op and were fine after a few weeks. I just think its odd as there is no 'pain' a such, just tightness. I would have thought scar tissue touching the nerve would cause more pain......unless its just tickling the nerve. Any feedback or comments on how you are getting on or if anyone else is experiencing th same would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 01-01-2012, 04:06 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Stop on in at the Back board. (just keep scrolling down the page till you see "Back Problems"...) That is where most members with spinal problems hang out.

It is not unusual to have tightness for months after back surgery. Be careful that you are not sitting for more than 20 to 30 minutes at a time, as sitting puts 30% more pressure on the discs than either standing or lying down.

But do keep walking. It is the walking that keeps that scar tissue from attaching to the spinal nerves as it is forming in the weeks following surgery.

Old 06-03-2012, 11:28 PM   #11
(male)

Shen man HB User

[QUOTE=Chazz;4229390]Hello everyone,
Many thanks.[/QUOTE]
After surgery, which people now label bad back surgery syndrome, scar tissue forms during the healing process. U may want an MRI. An alternative, and highly successful rate of alleviating the pain, is acupuncture. The results are outstanding, if indeed it is true sciatica

Old 06-26-2012, 12:39 AM   #12
(male)

IANRMORRIS HB User

Hi, just had the same and 3 weeks on, following procedures now have buttock pain - what was the end result ?

Old 07-07-2013, 12:25 PM   #13
(female)

lhunter1999 HB User

Thanks so much for your post! I'm 12 days out of surgery today & I've felt pretty good until yesterday. I woke up with calf pain, burning & tingling, etc. I wad really tender around my incision site due to swelling. Every thing you said made so much since. Especially consifrring ghst I had a huge L5 herniation for months. I was so afraid that I reherniated yesterday that I just wanted to give up. Thanks for the info & encouragement!

Closed Thread