It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2010, 09:37 PM   #1
(male)

Sangron HB User
Preparing for surgery 4/25 Microdiscectomy

I am having surgery 4/25 so I thought I would post here so I can give a complete before and after.

I'm 37, never had back problems. May 09 I noticed my lower back hurt, right above my right buttock. It kept getting worse and worse, early July, while walking through the grocery store with my wife the pain suddenly shifted to my calf. Literally in one step I had no pain in my back and everything was between my knee and ankle. Suddenly I couldn't sit or stand more than a couple minutes. Ive had two MRI's both showing a 10mm bulge.

I was prescribed Neurontin, Nortriptyline, Indocin and Methylprednisolone nothing helped, for pain I was given Vicodin, Norco, Morphine and in office shots of Dilaudid. I had three steroid injections, a tens unit and was doing physical therapy. The only time I wasn't in horrible pain was when I was laying flat in bed.

I really tried everything before resorting to surgery but I am out of options. I haven't worked since July and I can't live in bed anymore so I agreed to go under the knife.

So tomorrow is my pre surgery meeting with the surgeon, I sign my consent and we do the surgery this Sunday the 25th. The things that really scare me are paralysis and a catheter. I'm a little scared of the surgery not working but I'm being optimistic.

Well that's my story, I'll know more tomorrow and post updates as they are warranted.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:27 AM   #2
(male)

sookiepooka HB User
Re: Preparing for surgery 4/25 Microdiscectomy

Sangron,
I had a minimally invasive microdiscectomy on L4/5 in January. I'm also 37. You can check my thread that notes all of my progress. Do a quick search. Let me know if you have any questions about my experience. Good luck and do what the doctor says and don't overdo it.

SP

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2010, 12:18 PM   #3
(male)

guy484 HB Userguy484 HB User

Did you know there is no law in the United States requiring that Surgeon to tell you he won't be doing the procedure?

I had a microdiscectomy by a 'P.A.C.' which I later found out in my medical records. That means a trainee. I don't know how they did it but after my microdiscectomy they left 'metal fragments' in the disc area which the radiologist found on the MRI afterwards.

Ask your surgeon if a 'PAC' or trainee will be doing the procedure. He doesn't have to tell you, but ask him.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:41 PM   #4
(male)

sookiepooka HB User

Before deciding to let any surgeon operation, you MUST do your research on the doctor and the procedure!!!! An absolute must!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-25-2010, 07:07 PM   #5
(male)

Sangron HB User

Okay I had my surgery this morning, arrived at the hospital at 7:00am and was wheeled out just after 12:00pm. Luckily I only have good news to report, I have zero pain in my leg, zero numbness. It almost seems too good to be true. I was pretty groggy when I got home so I only walked around the house for ten minutes or so, done that twice so far, leaving in a few minutes to try and walk around the block. The only downside so far is that I feel a lot of soreness around the incision and I am super paranoid about twisting and bending at the waist so I walk and move really slooooowwwww.

Closed Thread