It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2010, 12:34 PM   #1
(female)

snowy owl HB User
Scoliosis Question

I was hoping someone could give me some insight to my son's scoliosis. He has had mild scoliosis since he was 10 (he's 16 now). Three years ago when he had an x-ray the ortho surgeon said the curve was 20 degrees, but not to worry, it shouldn't get any worse.

His shoulders and hips are even and his head is centred, so to look at him you wouldn't know he had scoliosis. But his left shoulder blade is higher than the right and sticks out quite a bit, even though you can't really tell with a shirt on. He had a x-ray on his spine last fall, and a new ortho surgeon said the curve is 30 degrees, but there is nothing to worry about because he is almost done growing, and it won't get any worse.

So, my question is, how is it possible to have a 30 degree curve and it not cause anything to be out of line? His legs don't seem to be different lengths. Any thoughts?

Old 05-13-2010, 06:09 AM   #2
(female)

vizpage HB User
Re: Scoliosis Question

I have scoliosis and was diagnosed when I was very young. I subseqently wore a back brace for a little over three years while I was still growing to prevent my curvature from getting worse. It worked! I also did a lot of swimming and ballet, which I'm convinced also helped. Talk to your doctor about a non invasive style brace and maybe think about swimming and yoga, this might just help improve his curves. I still have some back pain, nothing severe and rarely do I get headaches, which happened a lot while I wore the brace and was growing. I hope this answers a few of your questions, I'm no doctor but see if any of my experiences help your son.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread