It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2010, 02:28 PM   #1
(male)

Silas1066 HB User
Could this be back injury-related?

I hurt my lower back last year lifting weights. Went to physical therapy and there was some improvement. However, I still get tightness and aching in the lower back depending on how active I am.

For the last month or so, I've been having some other weird symptoms: pain in the buttocks--especially on the left side. Aching in the testicles and rectum. Rectal spasms. I also have some crampy/aching feelings in the back of my thighs.

I'm 39 and otherwise healthy--not sure if all this stuff is connected somehow.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:19 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB User
Re: Could this be back injury-related?

Hi, yes it does sound like your original problem was not completely taken care of since you still had pain and tightness. Disk problems can cause these symptoms and there is also a bundle of nerves in that area that when injured or pinched, cause buttock and groin pain. I hope you can get an MRI to find the cause as this can be treated. Muscles do not cause these symptoms by themselves, so PT would not be enough. If you type in your symptoms in a search engine, you can see the part of the spine that is most likely causing it. Physical therapy works great for muscle problems, but if it is a disk or pinched nerves, you most likely need other treatments.

Last edited by Kasey443; 04-22-2010 at 07:27 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2010, 07:40 PM   #3
(male)

PTwithAxialif HB User

Your symptoms could be related to a low back strain or possibly a bulging or herniated disk. Pain in the buttocks and hamstrings is characteristic of Sciatic Nerve inflammation and/or tight piriformis and hamstring muscles. What is worrysome is the symptoms which involve your rectum and testicles. Cauda Equina Syndrome is characterized by loss to bowel or bladder control related to low back injury and more specifically injury to the nerves at the sacral level known as the Cauda Equina. If bowel or bladder problems begin this is a medical emergency and you should go to the emergency room. Otherwise, sounds like and MRI is in order to determine what is going on.
For now, try laying on a gel cold pack and if your are able (No medical restrictions) then take ibuprofen for several days. Schedule a follow-up with your MD ASAP.

Good Luck

Old 04-22-2010, 07:53 PM   #4
(female)

KellyCz HB User

I broke my tailbone in 2007 after a fall down some steps at the apartment where I used to live. I also injured my lumbar-sacral area and recently was thought to have Cauda Equina syndrome. Went for a couple of MRIs because I could not urinate and got consitpated. I had to have a foley catheter for 2 months. I have pain/numbness in my buttocks area, and down the sides and backs of my legs. I am currently in PT and it is helping some. I have an appointment with a pain clinic next week to discuss steroid injections. It absolutely sounds similar to what I'm experiencing, and I have been told by several doctors that it is related to my back injury from the fall.

Closed Thread