It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2010, 06:40 AM   #1
(male)

ketchman27 HB User
back problems for three years/Im only 23

I was serving at a heavy weather search and rescue station in Alaska, when I was medically discharged before they found out what was causeing my pain. So I came home and started going to the VA in Manchester, NH. I had been having muscle spasms and twitching all over my body for the past three years. The docs always use the 1-10 scale for pain and I'm usually in the 6-7 range all the time. I've been on so much different medication from pain meds to muscle relaxers, the docs don't know what to give me any more. They have recently stoped all my meds and I'm taking only naproxen and a multivitimin. I also have had about 6 MRI's that pointed that my neck doesn't have a curve in it, I have buldging discs in my cervical spine and thoratic. I had another MRI a few weeks ago on my lumbar spine, they found that I had ruptured discs form my L1-L5. I'm waiting to here from my neurologist but what can I expect? I know there was talk about traction and possibly a cortazone shot.....
Any feed back would be greatly appreciated,
Brian

Old 04-24-2010, 05:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB User
Re: back problems for three years/Im only 23

Hi, ruptured discs would explain the pain. I have had a few of the injections. Mine were given under sedation, so I was in la la land and barely remember them. This is the next course of treatment for a herniation after trying PT. I would ask your doc how these are going to be done so you know what to expect. They are supposed to do these under floroscope, ( x-ray ) now, to get the exact right area. Also, I will only have them under sedation, some people do not. I go into same day surgery at the hospital, am given a gown to put on, then an IV, then taken into an operating like room, and moved onto a table on my stomach. Then I am sedated. I barely remember or feel a thing, just a little. The injections are done, then I am taken back to my original room and monitored. I stay in there about an hour or so, for the sedation to wear off and I am able to walk. I have to have a ride home after that. At home I sleep on and off a few more hours. You really should have somebody stay with you at home for about 4 more hours if you have the sedation, as a person is still sedated but can walk around and do things and say things and not remember. The hospital calls the next day to see how my night went. Good luck and I hope you get some pain relief.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread