It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2010, 03:26 PM   #1
(male)

giands HB User
L5 Stress Fracture

After 2 months off from any physical activity, it looks like my stress fracture is not completely healed, and that there is considerable sclerosis involving the pedicle on the left side. ??????????

I have been advised no running, skip rope, impact sports. Does anyone know how much longer I have to wait for this to heal? Have been taking Calc Phos in the meantime. A chiro. told me the pain I am experiencing is from my QL muscle, yet a massage therapist today said my psoas major is also in spasm.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. And treatment for sclerosis involving the pedicle

gc

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2011, 08:10 AM   #2
(female)

sheryltc HB User
Re: L5 Stress Fracture

How is your back? I see that it has been a while since you posted. My son was diagnosed in April, 2010. And he still has not healed. He is in pain daily. I pray that you are better - can you give an update to your progress.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2011, 08:05 AM   #3
(male)

giands HB User

My back is all healed up. I purchased the Exogen (ultrasound Bone healing system) and it did wonders. The tough part I found was to not do any physical impact training. I took 3 months off and forced myself to make this fracture heal. In addition, I began Yoga twice a week, which also has done wonders in increaseing my range of motion, and reducing the pain that I was once experiencing.

This is what worked for me. Hopefully, it can work for your son.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:55 PM   #4
(female)

sheryltc HB User

I am so glad to hear that your back is healed! Praise God! My son started the Exogen system about a month ago. His pain has increased. We saw his dr today (after an ER trip yesterday for a shot of morphine). His dr. said he'd never had anyone have any pain with the Exogen, but he did say to stop using it until we can get the pain more under control.
Did you experience any pain with the Exogen? How long did you use it? Also, what type pain did you have and where was your pain? right/left/both? Did you take any meds for pain relief? Thanks for your replies!

Old 08-09-2011, 04:18 PM   #5
(male)

giands HB User

I found zero pain at all while using the Exogen Sys. Sometimes, I even forgot I had it on. I used it for 65 treatments, which is about 2 1/2 months. The pain I had initially experienced (before the Exogen treatment) was quite severe. I would rank it a 8/10, where it was localized on the lower left side of my back. This type of injury is usually caused by an increase in training intensity, or overuse. Many gymnasts, kick boxers/karate practitioners develop this type of injury. With my case, it was an overuse injury where I was using poor technique and relying on other muscles to compensate. In addition I was still working out which involved skipping and jumping and kicking a heavy bag which was 'dumb' to say the least. My injury was unable to heal for the longgest time because I kept on re-injuring it. The cycle continued until a sports doctor finally told me that if I dont stop and take 3 months off, I can have a complete fracture on my L5, in which it would never heal. He then ordered the Exogen, and 3 moths after, I experienced no pain. Sometimes, it will creep up on me if I train really hard but the pain level is so minimal. I am also taking care of it now with monthly massage therapy to break up the scar tissue as a result from the trauma, yoga (to increase my range of motion), and listening to my body (something which is new to me).
I wish your son all the best, and hope he can put this behind him. Best of Luck

Closed Thread