It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2010, 08:32 AM   #1
(male)

guy484 HB Userguy484 HB User
How long did your XLIF surgery take

Just a general question to those that got the XLIF surgery. How long did it
take them to do a one level fusion? On the internet it says it only takes 1
hour to do a fusion.

It took them 4 hours to do mine and wanted to find out if that's normal.

Also when they woke me up I couldn't move my legs and feet. Is that
normal as well? It took 2 days before I could barely move them around and
3 days before I could get around with a walker.

Old 04-24-2010, 08:47 AM   #2
(female)

Kelliew HB User
Re: How long did your XLIF surgery take

mine took 4 hours and my left leg was fine but my right leg was really bad hope this helps take care...Kellie

Last edited by Administrator; 10-11-2010 at 06:35 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2010, 08:59 AM   #3
(female)

ByTheBay HB User

My XLIF was scheduled to take four hours -- two to put in the cage, two to flip me over and put in 4 screws and 2 rods. According to the surgeons it was a textbook operation and I was done in three. Forget all that Nuvasive talk about it taking an hour and you walking later that night; that might be the rare case with no hardware, but it's not typical.

I was pretty heavily drugged for a couple of days so movement was limited but I could definitely move everything. There was a bit of weakness in the thigh but nothing like what I expected, since they have to slit the psoas muscle. What I did get was a swath of numbness around the hip and down the outside of my thigh. I'm now 6 months out and I still have the numbness -- although everything else feels great.

They've said the numbness wasn't unusual but should be gone in 6 weeks to 6 months; later they said it could take up to 18 months or may never go away.

One surgeon who I consulted with but didn't use told me he felt the thigh issues with the XLIF were "grossly underreported."

Still, my recovery was so smooth, I'd do the XLIF again, in a heartbeat.

Overall, how are the symptoms that brought you to the XLIF?

Old 04-24-2010, 10:37 AM   #4
(male)

killian123 HB User

I had a plif/with harware and my neuro told me prior to surgery that it would take approx 4 hours...after, while in recovery, I was told i took over 8 hours.
Iam now 70 days post and i havn't taken or needed any form of pain meds since week 2 post.
Maybe those extra hours where of benifit...

Old 08-16-2010, 04:21 PM   #5
(female)

vlaud HB User

My surgery was done Oct 16,2008. My life has been hell ever since. I wonder what it would be like to be pain free. I went in walking and came out unable to lift my left leg. I feel this will never be over. Don't give up on disability. Everyone said don't expect to get it after they deny u you will need a lawyer. Well that didn't happen. I was approved first time. So don't give up.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:55 AM   #6
(male)

guy484 HB Userguy484 HB User

hi Vlaud,

My condition hasn't gotten better. My hips are always hot and painful. My wife finally snapped that I'm disabled and can't work-sleep-function.

Surprisingly I was approved for Social Security Disability on the first application, which is rare. The sad part is you can not receive Social Security Disability right away and must wait 5 months after getting approved before they will pay you.

We've drained our savings and it's all gone. No home, living with the mother in law. Wife is mentally collapsed over this. Kids also suffering. I wish I could function so I could go apply for Food Stamps. The wife won't even do it and is taking it hard.

I wouldn't recommend the XLIF surgery to anyone.

Last edited by Administrator; 10-11-2010 at 06:34 AM.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:57 AM   #7
(male)

al456 HB User

I had it done (XLIF) on Dec. 6, 2010. the surgery was about 6 hours. I was walking that night and out of the hospital in 3 days. I was off all pain meds in 4 days and feel absolutely fantastic. My fussion was done on L4-L5. I was back to work full time in less than 2 weeks.

The Following User Says Thank You to al456 For This Useful Post:
QHShowoman (01-27-2011)
Old 02-15-2011, 11:38 PM   #8
(female)

vlaud HB User

[QUOTE=guy484;4312287]hi Vlaud,

My condition hasn't gotten better. My hips are always hot and painful. My wife finally snapped that I'm disabled and can't work-sleep-function.

Surprisingly I was approved for Social Security Disability on the first application, which is rare. The sad part is you can not receive Social Security Disability right away and must wait 5 months after getting approved before they will pay you.

We've drained our savings and it's all gone. No home, living with the mother in law. Wife is mentally collapsed over this. Kids also suffering. I wish I could function so I could go apply for Food Stamps. The wife won't even do it and is taking it hard.

I wouldn't recommend the XLIF surgery to anyone.[/QUOTE]
My hear goes out to you I kniw where your coming from Your life and identity have changed. The role in your family has changed, You still deal with pain on a daily basis so how do you stay positive and look foreeard to the future. I also got disability the first time I applied felt blessed with that, but every where else in my life has been an adjustment for not just me but my husband and son, I really believe my husband would leave if he could, but feels pity for me.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:45 AM   #9
Inactive
(male)

Jayxyz HB User

[QUOTE=vlaud;4308727]My surgery was done Oct 16,2008. My life has been hell ever since. I wonder what it would be like to be pain free. I went in walking and came out unable to lift my left leg. I feel this will never be over. Don't give up on disability. Everyone said don't expect to get it after they deny u you will need a lawyer. Well that didn't happen. I was approved first time. So don't give up.[/QUOTE]

After 2 1/2 years my right leg is still mostly paralyzed with excrusiating pain that never lets up. I am on heavy pain meds just to allow me to move from the bed. Luckily I was approved for social security disabiltiy the first time. I think my EMG reports to back up my severed nerves helped with that. I am also lucky I had a private disability policy. It is bad enough I lost all that I am, I could not imagine how much worse it would be if my wife and I were forced into poverty and homelessness due to a doctors negligence.

Old 07-27-2012, 05:08 PM   #10
(female)

lauracatherine HB User

Hi there! I'm one week post op. Dr. Said it should take 3 hours to fuse L3-L4 with a spacer. I honestly have no idea the actual time. Yep I couldn't move my legs either for acouple days but today I walked around the house w/o the walker.
I wanted to post and say its kinda scary but worth it. Find the best team you can and go for it. I'm fortunate to live in Miami and found Dr. Steven Vanni. What a difference from the other "hotshots" I tried treating with for years. Don't give up folks. There's dr.s and nurses out there that care and want to help. Peace.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:54 AM   #11
(female)

vlaud HB User

[QUOTE=Jayxyz;5000300]After 2 1/2 years my right leg is still mostly paralyzed with excrusiating pain that never lets up. I am on heavy pain meds just to allow me to move from the bed. Luckily I was approved for social security disabiltiy the first time. I think my EMG reports to back up my severed nerves helped with that. I am also lucky I had a private disability policy. It is bad enough I lost all that I am, I could not imagine how much worse it would be if my wife and I were forced into poverty and homelessness due to a doctors negligence.[/QUOTE]

Old 01-10-2013, 08:04 AM   #12
(female)

vlaud HB User

[QUOTE=Jayxyz;5000300]After 2 1/2 years my right leg is still mostly paralyzed with excrusiating pain that never lets up. I am on heavy pain meds just to allow me to move from the bed. Luckily I was approved for social security disabiltiy the first time. I think my EMG reports to back up my severed nerves helped with that. I am also lucky I had a private disability policy. It is bad enough I lost all that I am, I could not imagine how much worse it would be if my wife and I were forced into poverty and homelessness due to a doctors negligence.[/QUOTE]

I have had to EMG's and nerve conduction studies and I think that was one of the reason that I was approved for social security disability, but the test was horrible. Not in the area of paralysis but the rest. I later was dx with RSD a chronic pain condition. So that made the test almost unbearable. I will never put myself through that torture again. I was wondering if u responded the same way ?

Closed Thread