It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2010, 10:20 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gram4 HB User
Have question about Ibuprofen need help please

I had an accident over a yr ago, went everwhere, chiro, acupuncture & nerve block (which made it worse) It comes from lower back on one side to groin & thigh on right side. The pain is so bad & I don't like pain killers work for abit then it's back. I tried Ibuprofen 600 & was so happy no pain & it seemed like it was really helping which means the inflamation was affecting the nerves. Well all of a sudden my blood pressure has gone up alot, it is usually fantastic all my life, I'm 69. I'm so upset just when I found something that works. Does anyone know of an alternative I could use? Thanks alot

Old 04-25-2010, 05:08 PM   #2
(female)

wife to tyler HB User
Re: Have question about Ibuprofen need help please

are you sure the Ibprofen is causing the high BP? My Husband is taking 800 mg 4 x's a day for inflamation and it hasn't really messed with his BP at all. I would check with your dr. and make sure it isn't something else.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2010, 05:47 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gram4 HB User

thanks I'll do that, someone told me a study was done & they found women who took more than 400mg had their pressure go up. I don't know why women would be different. Well I haven't taken it for 3 days now & it's still up. Go tommorrow & will ask. Thanks alot for caring.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:49 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

There are differences for some medications in men and in women. It may be the ibuprofen or it may be something totally different. Many people get high blood pressure as they age so my bet would be that this is independent of the ibuprofen. Do you have a home BP machine? If so do some of your own testing. Sometimes a single reading of high blood pressure means nothing. I went to my primary care and without telling me they found very high blood pressure when I arrived. Before I left they took it again twice. Those were normal. They then asked about my day and I said right before I came in I had a huge conflict with my boss. So the initial reading must have been stress related only.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:39 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

hi gram, just wondering how your BPs had been BEFORE you started taking the ibu? what were your high BP numbers when this high one was done on you? was there ANY difference then before(more normal)or as occasional BPs that would pop up with no real explanation before this? since there just can really be many different reasons for a person to even get high BPs, if this actually continues once you are off the ibu for even about two weeks or so, i would definitely have your doc do a bit more in depth checking on the possible other underlying source. the one thing i am just kind of concerned about since i know from what you have mentioned before, you have been taking alot of pain meds and OTC pain meds over a rather lengthy time? this CAN create a certain type of kidney problem(a direct link to giving high BPs in a person) called analgesic nephropathy. its a disease process that anyone can get when esp taking a lengthy combo of all the many different types of OTC and/or rx pain meds over a long period of time. while tylenol is metabolized within the liver, the impact can also effect the kidneys too since it has to constantly filter it out, and the NSAID types(ibu is one) are just themselves in most cases actually extensively metabolized with the kidneys.

i would just make certain to get your BPs checked very regularly,at least for the next couple months or so just to get an idea of where they are at over time. you can buy a few different types of do it yourself type BP set ups at most drug stores. it really IS worth the investment. i just wanted you to be aware of this gram since it does happen to people every day who simply were never told about what can occur at times in certain people with alot of use of mostly the OTC typs of meds over a longer period of time, or chronic usage. for some reason when it comes to people dosing their own ibu of various types at times, they will tend to go with more is better despite the warnings about certain limits with this stuff just like with tylenol(its set by the impact upon kidneys pretty much). not saying you are doing this, but an amazing amount of people just do this for some reason mostly with ibu.

just make certain gram that you know for certain whether or not the higher BPs were indeed from the ibu and not something underlying that you just may not actually know about that can also create high BP. just something to keep a bit closer eye on, at least for a while here. Marcia

Old 04-26-2010, 08:55 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gram4 HB User

Thanks Marcia, I stopped the IBU for awhile & it was still high. As far as pain meds I hardly took any at all hate them only when the pain was unbearable thats why I was so happy w/the ibu that even worked better. I went to Dr this Am she knows me very well & what I am going thru right now w/my daughter, heavy duty stress. I used to be able to do it but now I'm 69 & don't think I can handle it. She gave me a water pill to take & see if it makes a difference. I do have one of those machines I bought in the drug store so can watch it. I do feel it was the stress because when I get going all stressed out I feel a pain in back of head & shakey which is not like me. I didn't take the IBU all the time only when I was in really bad pain.

Closed Thread