It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2010, 01:31 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

deeannek HB User
Red face Pain in low back and hip and tailbone

Hi, I haven't been on the boards for awhile . I have been having some really bad pain. It started in Jan. and is getting increasingly worse. So, I had an mri and it wasn't too impressive. The only new thing it showed was that I have a spinal deformity at L4 and it was pressing on the thecal sac on the right side. The problem is the pain-excruciating in the morning or after a nap is on the left side. Long story short, PM said lets try a high volume caudal epidural. By the way that is the most painful injection I have ever had in the history of all of the shots I have had. Anyway, for some reason he could not get the needle where he thought it would be the most helpful. Then he showed me the xray thingy ( can't think of the name right now) and he said, this is scar tisssue-and a lot of it. I guess I am just wondering if anyone else has had pain form scar tissue. how did it feel and what did you do for relief? Mine is intense upon waking up a 10 on the scale. This pain has gone from my low back and tailbone to my hip. I am seeing my primary soon since PM doesn't know where to go from here. Any suggestions, or thoughts on what this could be-or could scar tissue cause this type of pain, I would love to hear from you.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:15 PM   #2
(female)

helenlegs11 HB User
Re: Pain in low back and hip and tailbone

Hi There,

It depends on where the scar tissue is and if it impinges on other areas causing pain. I don't know if you ever had a muscle spasm through your problems.
I have, after a fall onto my bum. All my muscles spasmed and I was unable to move for quite a few days. Eventually I was able to mobilise BUT my piriformis muscle has stayed tight and this causes great pain in my bum,groin and hip. The pain also travels down my leg as scar tissue has caused irritation at the point where this muscle runs next to the sciatic nerve.You mentioned hip pain so check out the piriformis muscle. Problems with it are often misdiagnosed or just go unrecognised and can cause pain just like having a prolapsed disc.
Other hip problems could be due to core muscle stability. The abdominus traversus (think that's how it's spelled?) acts like a belt around the sacrilliac (hip) area. You can get a belt to wear. If the belt helps your pain at all it will probably be a good idea to do pilates and core strengthening exercises.
It will take time tho.
Good luck
Helen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2010, 12:46 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

deeannek HB User

Thank You for your post Helen!
I have been researching what it could be on the web and decided I really shouldn't do that because I end up scaring myself. I did read about piriformis syndrome and that might be it but not all of the symptoms matched. I read something about psoas-apparently its another muscle group that can cause a great deal of pain and often missed in diagnosis and apparently getting an abcess is also possible. You know I have had so many steroid shots that I am afraid an abcess might be a possibilty. I can't help but think having your epidural space punctured with a needle on a semi regular basis is good-always a possibilty of bacteria. I guess another thing that might be possible is broken hardware-(please god no!) I am scared to death of another surgery.
Anyway thanks for the info-oh and yes I have had muscle spasms and lots of them since my fusion. I had one so bad I couldn't stand up and it feels somewhat like whatever is going on now. Has anyone invented a titanium spine yet? lol

Old 07-20-2010, 09:27 AM   #4
(female)

dallas3_71852 HB User

This sounds so like me it is unreal I have so much pain in my tail bone and hip it is unreal and only getting worse, I went and had a 3rd steroid shot back in May and when I went back to the doc a couple of weeks ago he asked me if it had helped and I told him no he was like let me show you why.
When he gave me a shot he took a pic and on the paper you could see the needle and on the right side it was very dark and on the left side (where most of my pain is ) there was nothing, he told me I had so much scar tissue (back surgery 2004) the steroid couldn't get through. so I went last week and I had a MRI so now I am just waiting to find out results, sometimes I just sit and cry because my tail bone hurts so bad

Closed Thread