It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2010, 12:53 PM   #1
(female)

sha7hr HB User
Spinal Fusion Surgery L5-S1

I am 41 and going in for my second back surgery. I have been given many restrictions from my surgeon. I feel that I have realistic expectations regarding the recovery process but I am still very nervous and anxious!

Old 05-25-2010, 05:27 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
Re: Spinal Fusion Surgery L5-S1

I'm 43 and just had my 3rd. When I was 20 I had L5-S1 fusion without hardware. When I was 27 they said that the initial fusion hadn't taken and I needed hardware. Unfortunatley my L5 vertebrae doesn't take hardware so it turned out to be L4-S1 and now at age 43 I just had L3 added to that fusion.

I am happy to say my recent fusion was easier than the one in 1993. I think there is better attention toward pain management. And, since I've been on pain medications for 2 years, I made sure my surgeon knew going in this past February that I'd need very strong post-op pain management. In fact my surgeon operates at a large hospital and also at a small private hospital. He told me the large hospital would be better as they have a pharmacist on staff 24 hours a day so they could adjust medications even if it as needed in the middle of the night (and one time it was).

In 1993 I was in for 10 days but they used these hospital air beds so I found it to be comfortable. This time I was in for a week and the bed was SO uncomfortable I was so eager to get out of there (I should have been in more like 5 days but I had a dietary/GI issue that prohibited me from getting my back brace on to get out of bed and walk).

I totally understand that you are anxious, but if you have confidence in your surgeon you will be fine. The best thing I had at home was a grabber (to pick up dropped items or items out of my reach) and the toilet seat riser.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread