It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2010, 02:20 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

Pebble Beach HB User
Pain worse at night

Hi all. Its been a while since I've posted. Here is a summary of my problems:

1. Lumbar surgery 1994 herniated discs
2. Cervical surgery 1995 stenosis
3. 1997 lumbar surgery for Flatback Harrington Rods implanted
4. 2000 Cervicsl surgery for Kyphosis Harrington Rods cervical/thoracic area
5. 2005 Spinal Cord Stimulator implanted for pain

Current problems:

1. Stenosis in the Cervical area. Pain in both shoulders coming from neck. Left worse then the right
2. Stenosis in the lumbar area. Pain in legs and buttock areas especially after sitting for long periods of time. Left worse then the right as to pain

Not sure if this is strange but it seems that I experiience more pain at night time when trying to sleep. I've lost sleep and difficulty sleeping as well because of the pain. Cant find a position that is right for me. Difficulty getting out of bed at times too due to pain.

Also I've been getting more headaches now. Rarely had headaches before.

Any ideas or suggestions.

Old 05-28-2010, 12:41 PM   #2
(female)

pain buddy HB User
Re: Pain worse at night

Hi

Join the club!!
My pain is so much worse when i lie down.
It doesn't matter which side it is just agony.
I have tried everything suggested,mattress topper,pillows,etc and still i am lucky if i get 3 hrs sleep a night.
I end up sleeping upright on the sofa.

Unfortunately i have run out of ideas and i expect you have tried everything too.
So i guess we are going to be 2 of the many that are up again tonight!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2010, 01:34 PM   #3
(female)

dunerkat58 HB Userdunerkat58 HB Userdunerkat58 HB Userdunerkat58 HB User

I've joined that club too! However, it's not one I was really wanting to belong to. I toss and turn all night and it seems just when I've gotten to sleep the alarm goes off. I can't seem to find anything other than taking medication that helps. Meds help me sleep, but I don't feel I really get a good night's rest.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:01 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Sleep is the hardest part for me, especially in regard to my cervical spine. Although the nights I have a bit of insomnia I do notice more back pain (I just can't get comfortable). I have bought every pillow they sell. My husband jokes that we'll drown in pillows soon. Luckily we have an RV so any pillow that doesn't work very well goes into the RV.

I had a C5-C7 ACDF in 2006 and had nerve problems again and then had a posterior cervical foraminotomy. Between the ACDF and the foraminotomy I have had about 60% relief. Part of this is due to my C4 likely. My C4 was "iffy" when I had the ACDF and I should have pushed to have C4 added. I'm about to have a cervical MRI in June to find out if there's anything that can be fixed or if I'm "stuck" where I am.

Old 05-29-2010, 02:23 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Pebble Beach HB User

This may sound strage, but a can take a nap during the day without much incident of pain. But at night when I want to sleep a full night thats when it really gets bad. I also experience severe leg problems at night time. Cramping in the ankle/foot area and the upper thigh area. During the daytime it isnt as bad, BUT at night I tend to have so much difficulty. Not sure why night time seems to be the worst.

Old 05-29-2010, 09:23 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

For me the nights are worse mostly due to the cumulative effect - everything all day adding up to a bad night even if I napped earlier

Old 05-30-2010, 05:18 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Pebble Beach HB User

It makes sense to me that it could be cumulative in that everything builds up during the day and we feel the pain worse at night.

Not sure what the answer is at this point. I've had so many different opinions and not sure who to believe. I'm still searching for an answer.

Closed Thread