It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2010, 07:16 PM   #1
(female)

j9jones HB User
Leg Pain After Spinal Fusion

In Dec 2008 I had a L5 SI laminectomy and then proceeded to reherniate the same disc a few months later. I ended up having a spinal fusion in Nov 2009. I am 6 months post op and developed leg pain a couple of months ago. To address my leg pain, my doctor put me on gabapentin (sp?) to block the pain. I am scheduled for an MRI to make sure that I have not herniated the disc above my spinal fusion.
Has anyone had leg pain after lumbar spinal fusion surgery?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2010, 01:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User
Re: Leg Pain After Spinal Fusion

[COLOR="Navy"]You're not alone in this. It's not uncommon that leg pain erupts after a fusion. usually it happens when the nerves are swollen after surgery. As the swelling goes down you have nerve pain. The nerves are irritated during surgery and it takes time for this to abate. It may also signal that you some nerve damage. the med that your doc has you on is used for nerve pain. Hang in there, with time it may abate.. [/COLOR]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2010, 01:34 PM   #3
(female)

PEmom HB User

J9jones
I just had a fusion and several weeks after have developed SI joint spasms and pain when I lie down. A visit to dr and pt confirmed it is just my muscles and nerves getting adjusted to the stress going to other areas. When fused the stress can not go where it used to bc it is fixed. Hopefully this is just a slight adjustment your body is having. Let us know about your follow up.
Take Care
L5S1 lamin. 3x
Fusion L5S1 april 2010

Old 05-29-2010, 10:36 AM   #4
(female)

j9jones HB User

Thank you so much for the replys...it does make me feel better and not so alone. There isn't much on the internet about this and when there is...it is a doctor's article that I cant understand. It is just a scary process and a slow one at that. I have been dealing with back pain for 2 years and it seems like 20. I am 34 just recently married and would love to move on with my life. I know you can relate.
I will post my MRI results...funny that I can read them now.
Hang in there!

Old 06-06-2010, 09:02 AM   #5
(female)

Mollie4164 HB User
Angry Re: Leg Pain After Spinal Fusion

[QUOTE=j9jones;4254522]In Dec 2008 I had a L5 SI laminectomy and then proceeded to reherniate the same disc a few months later. I ended up having a spinal fusion in Nov 2009. I am 6 months post op and developed leg pain a couple of months ago. To address my leg pain, my doctor put me on gabapentin (sp?) to block the pain. I am scheduled for an MRI to make sure that I have not herniated the disc above my spinal fusion.
Has anyone had leg pain after lumbar spinal fusion surgery?[/QUOTE]

I had a laminetomy March 30, 2010 and my leg pain started immediately. It is now June 6th and the pain keeps getting worse. The doctor has incresed the gabapentin 100 mg 3 times a day to 300 mg 3 times a day. So far this med had not helped at all. We are now trying Diazepan 5 mg twice a day. This medicine is a muscle relaxer and a anti anxiety but makes you really drowiness.

Is there any thing that can help?

Old 06-09-2010, 07:18 PM   #6
(female)

j9jones HB User

Went to my orthopedic surgeon and got great news. There was no herniation above the fusion area. He thinks the leg pain will go away in time. I have to stay on the Gabapentin for a while which I am not thrilled about - bad side effects. He also recommended that I take extra strength tylenol and aleve. And that has helped. I start physical therapy on Friday so it will be interesting to see how I progress. I definitely feel more positive now. What I am coming to understand is that everyone heals at different rates. I just may take longer than other people. Thank you for the posts...I was feeling very alone and had a lot of negative thoughts going on.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:35 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Yes, I am just over 4 months post-op and I still have leg pain. I had pre-op leg pain down the right leg and now have a bit down the left as well. Gabapentin has helped and I've been told what I'm experiencing is normal and there is still swelling that has to subside. I was in a brace for the first 3.5 months and now that I'm out I guess the more spine movement I have the more some of those movements cause a new kind of healing.

Old 12-04-2010, 07:51 AM   #8
(female)

cthutch50 HB User

[QUOTE=j9jones;4254522]In Dec 2008 I had a L5 SI laminectomy and then proceeded to reherniate the same disc a few months later. I ended up having a spinal fusion in Nov 2009. I am 6 months post op and developed leg pain a couple of months ago. To address my leg pain, my doctor put me on gabapentin (sp?) to block the pain. I am scheduled for an MRI to make sure that I have not herniated the disc above my spinal fusion.
Has anyone had leg pain after lumbar spinal fusion surgery?[/QUOTE]

Well, I am ONLY 16 days post L5-S1 abdominal fusion surgery, so I'm guessing this leg pain is normal. I will see the surgeon on Monday.I've been on Gabapentin for about 6 months, pre and post surgery, along with other meds. My legs feel like they weigh 100lbs each. Sometimes they tingle, sometimes a little numb, but mostly just painful. I'll let you know what the surgeon says. So many possibilities: inflamed nerves after surgery, scar tissue, and God lnly know what else!

Old 12-04-2010, 07:56 AM   #9
(female)

cthutch50 HB User

I've been on that same dose of gabapenten for months AND oxycontin And a few others. I think that it just takes time to heal and it's different for all of us.
It's hard, but try to be patient and positive, and when u can't do something, don't do it. Very hard to not be active and productive but for now, that's the way it is. Good Luck.

Old 12-04-2010, 08:24 AM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

At 16 days post o you can expexct symptoms to resurface or to feel new symptoms. After surgery, as your body heals, there is occasional swelling which in turn aggravates or impinges on nerves. Monitor your symptoms and if they are manageable with medication give tthem time to pass. But if you get any symptoms that are severe then be sure to notify your doctor.

Old 12-15-2010, 05:09 PM   #11
(male)

altechx HB User

I'm 4 months after surgery and developed pain in the back of my legs, feels like my hamstrings are going to rip. A little hip pain and butt. The doctor said wait 6 months now I'm thinking I have sciatica problems

Old 12-15-2010, 06:05 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

pooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB User

3 months after my spinal fusion I was unable to walk because I could not put any weight on my foot. The nerves just went crazy. It was severe sciatica. That was many years ago and my surgery was complicated but still everyone is different and sometimes scar tissue can also irritate the nerves.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:20 AM   #13
(female)

Mollie4164 HB User

Yes terrible leg pain. I have a lot of scar tissue where the fushion was done. I am taking Cymbalta and it seems to work. I take it at night at bed time. I all so am taking Tranadol for pain.

Recently I got a second opinion. The doctor said to take pilates, a stretching class for the leg pain. I take the class at my local gym. The leg pain is just as bad as it was before surgery. I have a lot of scar tissue where the incision was made.

I am in Florida now where I had to surgery in March. The Michigan doctor told me the surgeron in Florida went to far with the surgery. I will probably have to see the Michigan for another surgery to correct and clean up the surgery received in Florida.

I hope this is helpful.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:46 AM   #14
Facilitator
(female)

I know someone who had similar symptoms and has a lysis of adhesions as she buit up so much scar tissue after a 2 level fusion. She's only recently had this done so I'm not sue if it's been successful.

Closed Thread