It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2010, 11:13 PM   #1
(male)

dishdope HB User
numbness on front of thigh

I have a numbness on my lower thigh just above the knee that covers an area of about 3" x 3". The pain burns sometimes but isn't really a problem. I have lower back problems as well that include annular tears and degeneration. I don't have nerve pain yet though.

I'm wondering if this numbness could be associated with my lower back problems in some way? What nerves could be effected that affect that area?

Thanks

Old 05-28-2010, 11:58 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User
Re: numbness on front of thigh

[COLOR="Navy"]You siad that you don't have nerve pain...but you do. The burning pain on your thigh is nerve pain. Also the numbness is related to a nerve being comprimised that is causing the numbness and burning pain.[/COLOR]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2010, 02:42 PM   #3
(male)

dishdope HB User

[QUOTE=ibake&pray;4255003][COLOR="Navy"]You siad that you don't have nerve pain...but you do. The burning pain on your thigh is nerve pain. Also the numbness is related to a nerve being comprimised that is causing the numbness and burning pain.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

ibake&pray,

I knew this numbness had to be nerve pain. I dont have the nerve pain everyone talks about, the type that runs down the back of the leg (knock on wood). Why does it show up just in one spot on my thigh like that? shouldn't the nerve pain start where its being compressed? by the spine?

Old 05-28-2010, 04:54 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Take a look at a spinal dermatome picture. These charts will show where on your body you feel damage in the spinal area. For example, my index finger is numb (residual numbness after my C5-C7 ACDF since I waited too long) and this shows on a chart as being related to C7.

The front of the thigh is commonly indicative of L2 or L3. The rear of the thigh is commonly indicative of L3 and the sacral area of the spine

Old 05-29-2010, 06:21 PM   #5
(female)

lilredsmom HB Userlilredsmom HB User

I love doing searches because that's how I learn and the more I learn the more empowered I feel about what's going on with me and I feel more knowlegabe when I go to the doctor. It's good to ask questions but doing searches to learn all you can is invaluable.

Happy hunting and many blessings

Last edited by moderator2; 05-29-2010 at 07:25 PM. Reason: please do not post websites except as described in the Posting Policy

Old 05-29-2010, 08:15 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

EagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB User

I have lower back problems and hip problems. In January of this year I bent to pick something up off the floor and ended up on the floor, writhing in pain. I had done something to my back, but the pain was down one leg. Not sciatica- I know what that is and I have had it before. This was different...like having the flesh boiled off my bones. I am still healing from that, and I have a large patch of numb skin on my inner thigh that stretches to below my knee, I also have a numb patch right at the top of my knee. The numbness is directly related to my back injury from January. Nerve damage, I guess, from a pinched nerve. My doctor isn't certain if I will regain full sensation or not. Right now it's kind of like novacaine...the doctor did a sharp/soft test (they poke you with a toothpick or a q-tip with your eyes closed and you have to identify sharp or soft) and I was unable to differentiate.

Old 05-30-2010, 06:53 PM   #7
(male)

dishdope HB User

That's wierd, the chart says it's my L2-3 that is causing my numbness but my L2-3 isn't impinging the nerve at all on my MRI? I just have buldging on L3-4, 4-5 & L5-S1. I guess it's not the first time MRI imaging matches symptoms though...

Old 05-30-2010, 07:15 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

When I had recurrent symptoms my surgeon said the MRI showed some minor stenosis but the surgeon offered to go in and get to the stenosis. After the posterior cervical foraminotomy the surgeon was amazed at the severitu of stenosis. So sometime MRI don't really show the whole story.

And every person's anatomy is different to some degree. So something at L2 that causes you symptoms may cause me symptoms equivalent to L3.

When I had my recent surgery I told the surgeon "whatever you find, fix it, even if it's unexpected"

Closed Thread